Check your tie down! Glider flipped on launch.

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
DigitalBishop

Check your tie down! Glider flipped on launch.

Post by DigitalBishop »

This maybe a little late but perhaps a student pilot could voice a reminder about an incident that happened on launch last Saturday. Being a new glider owner I can relate to how stressful it can be when your glider is placed in harms way or when you forget to do something and it results in the feeling that you get when something bad happens to your bird. Last Saturday a pilot failed to check the condition of the rope he used to secure his glider. The wind that day was very active and gusty and a gust happened to pick this pilots glider up and the rope broke. This resulted in the glider being flipped (twice!). We all know that a glider's structure can be compromised as a result of this happening, which is bad, bad, bad. The moral of the story is that it is the responsibility of the pilot (read you) to check the condition of the rope that you are using. We tend to forget that even though most if not all the tie downs on launch are made of synthetic material they still break down faster than Paris Hilton can wash a car due to exposure to the elements. I'm surprised that is has not been mentioned as a glider that has been flipped or blown can place a pilot in severe danger if the glider had been damaged and that damage is not found upon inspection. It's best to prevent things like this from happening to your glider in the first place.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to place on the list of things to do for the club is to check the ropes up on launch used for tie downs for wear and tear and replace if necessary?
Jamie Krasnoo
Christian

Post by Christian »

Keep a piece of light line in your harness pocket, use as tie-down, take it with you when you fly. The anchors are sound.

As of Tuesday, only a few of our existing tie-downs were serviceable. Any of us can replace them anytime as a public service to each other. Cheap line is fine. Problem is the lines are weakened by UV and easily destroyed when run over by vehicles, including our own.
©hris

Re: Check your tie down! Glider flipped on launch.

Post by ©hris »

Specks wrote:The moral of the story is that it is the responsibility of the pilot (read you) to check the condition of the rope that you are using.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to place on the list of things to do for the club is to check the ropes up on launch used for tie downs for wear and tear and replace if necessary?
I am confused. Is the moral of the story that its your responsibility like you stated? Or is it the revised moral below that - that club should spend its very limited time/resources to babysit your glider?

If you want the club to add it to that enormous list of stuff to do you may want to go ahead and write a proposal and budget, and then be prepared to wait.

Or... you could spend about 20 minutes of your time and $10 and replace all the ropes and be the hero. I have seen Rome doing this randomly for years - just for fun.
Don

Tie Downs

Post by Don »

Several months ago I noticed that many of the tie downs were in bad shape or gone. When I got home I made several replacements and placed them in my harness bag. The next time I went flying I noticed someone had installed new ones. The ones I had stayed in my bag and I finally used one a couple weeks ago. The others are still available when needed.

Like Chris said - a few bucks and a few minutes of (your, mine, others) time will solve this type of problem. This is absolutely the last thing the Board needs to deal with.
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

I'll tell you what Chris. I'll step up to the plate like I had planed to do this Saturday and bring some rope with me and check the tie downs myself. I never said that the board should baby sit a pilots hang glider. You're right it's not their job. I should have been clearer as to which list (hero) the task should be put on. :oops: The problem is I'm not sure if my car will make it up to launch in one piece even if the road was graded. So if someone is going up to launch in the morning and would like a driver I would happy to drive. Bearing that the Santa Ana's let up. If not, I'll brave it.
Jamie Krasnoo
©hris

Post by ©hris »

I was just winding you up mate. If you hike up watch out for the lions... :o
Christian

Post by Christian »

Ole'Chris is pulling your chain all the way from Australia, Jamie. He hasnt touched a Kagel tie-down in months.

The veterans will tell you we all rely on tie-downs too much anyhow. They allow us to set up a lot of gliders close together on crowded days. Other sites dont even have them, so they're a convenience but not a necessity.

If the wind is so swirly that gliders are lifting, good time to be standing next to the glider.
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

Point taken Christian. Though I did what I said I was going to do. I went up this morning/afternoon patrolled the site for worn out tie downs and replaced them with new ones. I also patrolled the launch for trash and picked it up as well. I replaced around 13 tie downs and picked up about 5 pounds of trash. Including a 6 pack of beer bottles that someone was so unthoughtful to leave there. Then I went back to the lz to get rid of the trash. So I hope the new ropes stay there as I was warned that vandals usually like to cut them up or take them.
Jamie Krasnoo
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Good job, Jamie.
I really appreciate it.
Vrezh.
©hris

Post by ©hris »

Nice going Jamie. I am not there but I am a member of the club; and it is always good to see people do stuff for the benefit of the whole club just because it needed doing.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Here's an additional tip: Keep two tie-downs in your harness bag. Then if you go to another site to fly, you have them (if needed.) Why two? If you go XC and get offered a ride from someone with an appropriate vehicle, they usually don't have tie downs. It would be a shame to pass up a free ride back just because you are missing a few feet of rope or strappage..... :wink:

Good job in OZ, Chris.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

Thanks for the appreciation. Now if anyone flew last Sunday. Did my handy work survive the night, or did vandals already take the new rope?
Jamie Krasnoo
Don

Tie Downs

Post by Don »

A lot of pilots were hoping to fly on Sunday - but only three launched.

I did see a lot of new white tie downs - so apparently they survived the weekend vandals.
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Don't worry, I removed them this morning to prevent any further damage by those rapscallions....