why good preflights are a must........

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
abinder

why good preflights are a must........

Post by abinder »

this is a video of why a good preflight is a must.
(the right side cable supposedly disconnected on takeoff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJV_t4L92pE

Just imagine if that were to happen at Kagel!!!

Allen
Chip
Site Admin

Are you sure?

Post by Chip »

Not that a good pre-flight isn't a good thing.

But this glider loaded up prior to the wire snapping or coming loose. Hard to tell what the real cause was but clearly the cable comes off.

Along with a good pre-flight a good annual or better yet semi-annual inspection would be a good thing too.
abinder

Post by abinder »

I like what the Wills Wing manuals for their current hang gliders tell you to do for part of a pre-flight check; The manuals state that you should:

"while pushing up on the leading edge between the nose and the crossbar junction, step on the bottom side wire with about 75 lbs. of force. This is a rough field test of the structural security of the side wire loop, the control bar, the kingpost, and the crossbar, and will likely reveal a major structural defect that could cause an in-flight failure in normal operation."

(I believe that the T2 manual states to use 50 lbs of force and leaves out the kingpost in the description of the stuctures being tested since it doesn't have a kingpost.)

Every time that I do my preflight, I always do that "step on the bottom side wire" test on the right and left side wires. I sure hope that most people do this test when preflighting their glider because it's a quick test and makes a lot of sense to me.

Allen
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Look again.

Looks like he forgot a pin/bolt.

The basetube seperates from the down tube.
Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark »

I do believe you're right. Looks like (CFM) control frame malfunction to me too.
abinder

Post by abinder »

Steve Clark wrote:I do believe you're right. Looks like (CFM) control frame malfunction to me too.
Very well could of been. All the more reason to do the "side wire test" that Wills Wing states in the pre-flight test in the manuals for it's hang gliders.