Jean Ridge Nevada 3-8-08

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
RichardShaw

Jean Ridge Nevada 3-8-08

Post by RichardShaw »

After making 3 successful launches and top landings (within approximately an hour and a half) went back to launch after getting a quick drink (water) this was about 12:00-1:00 conditions had gotten stronger about 20 MPH relatively smooth with an occasional thermal coming through. walked glider down to launch where approximately 10' prior to launch there was turbulence (already hook in) upon crossing turbulent area glider lifted about 4' I brought it back down with wings level. Then left wing popped up, correction was given by coordinated hard left turn (not enough contact with ground to yaw) glider lifted up and to the right back about 20 to 30 feet where right wing contacted ground at a greater than 90 deg. angle. In hindsight I should have had the pilot who top landed 1 minute prior get on my nose. This reaffirms what instructors tell us "not getting burned by poor decisions strengthens us to do them again".
"Keep thy airspeed up, lest the ground come from below and smite thee".
William Kershner

Richard
skygeek AKA Seabass

Jims crash

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Sorry to hear about that. Are you OK? How is the glider damage.
RichardShaw

Post by RichardShaw »

Thanks for asking. I consider myself lucky limping away with a bruised calf, and wire hickies on my arm. The glider didn’t fair as well, I still haven’t opened the bag to look at since Max put It away for me (I was quite rattled) I’m told It has a broken leading edge, cross bar and both down tubes. I’m thinking it’s totaled. And I’m not sure I would trust the rest of It given how hard It hit. But It was a lot of fun, at least until that last launch. I also would like to publicly Thank ERIC MALURY and MAX for their help, concern and advice.
"Keep thy airspeed up, lest the ground come from below and smite thee".
William Kershner

Richard
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Oh man, that sucks! But I'm glad you got away with only bumps and bruises. Wire hickies? Sounds kinky? (pun intended) ;-)

You might be able to get it fixed for less than you think if the sail isn't too badly damaged. But make sure and take it ALL apart. Every last thing. Or have Greblo or Hungary Joe do it.

I hope it works out and you are back in the air soon.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George