Stebbins at East Coast Championships

Moderator: Comp Committee

Christian

Stebbins at East Coast Championships

Post by Christian »

George Stebbins is representing SHGA at the east Coast Championships at Highland Aerosports in Ridgely , Maryland. George placed Seventh in the Flex class Sunday on his Litespeed 5S, dropping down a few places Monday and Tuesday when few made goal.

Ridgely is on the eastern shore of Maryland, a vast farming plain with the Atlantic on one side and the Chesapeake on the other. This is tow country--not a mountain in sight--with high humidity, puffy cumulus and in the summer season the typical march of thunderstorms beginning about 4 p.m.

Wednesday task called off by threat of rain.

Scores here: http://davidhglover.googlepages.com/eccscores
stebbins

East Coast Championships

Post by stebbins »

I was in 5th place in the Flex wing division until the last day. On that day, we had very weak lift for 10 miles around the flight park and what appeared to be booming conditions after that. The task was a 55+ mile dogleg SE to near the ocean.

At 10 minutes until the 1st start time I was at 3700' and drifting towards the start circle. Many pilots were outside the start circle. The wind was about 11 mph, and made it unlikely anyone much outside the circle would get back in to get a start time. At this meet, going early meant you got NO speed points. I made a concious choice to go back to the airpark and take the 2nd start time. It was an aggressive move, since I clearly was higher than almost everyone else, and had a good change to get to the good clouds ahead. But I wanted those speed points. I raced upwind back to the airport, and hanging on to a tiny, turbulent, elusive core, dribbled downwind below 2000'. (Ground level is about 50' MSL or less.) I did this for 10 miles, never getting higher than 2000'. Just 1 mile before the good clouds, I lost the last of the thermal and landed. A few minutes later, clouds formed over right over where I had just flown. They lasted about 1/2 hour, then were blown away by a T-storm from the North.

So, I moved down to 8th place, but did it trying to move up. If my gamble had paid off, I would have been right behind the folks who had
no start time and the 1st start time, but I would have had the 2nd start time. A huge advantage in points, but only if you make goal. It was worth the gamble. In similar circumstances, I'd do it again. I just would have been a bit more careful about leaving the light lift after returning.

By the way, for those intersted, the flying was fun on the eastern shore of Maryland. Light lift near the airport, but about 10 miles East, it gest pretty good. Frequently there is a convergence there. I was able to see both shores of the peninsula on the same flight on the 1st day of the meet. Pretty cool.

Fly High
Fly Far
Fly Safe

George[/list]
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George