Spring Air Results Published

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

Spring Air Results Published

Post by Chip »

On Soaring Spot

Track logs available in ZIP format, in downloads section on Soaring Spot

Looks like a bunch of happy faces in the LZ, thanks to everyone that participated and helped make this day enjoyable and fun. 8)
JD

Re: Spring Air Results Published

Post by JD »

Chip wrote:...Track logs available in ZIP format, in downloads section on Soaring Spot...
Thanks for posting the results links Chip. The links to the zip files on the download page are invalid. Can you email me both zip files so I can run the animation?
Thanks
JD-DQ
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Please post the animation if possible. I would love to see it.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Fixed.

DQ working on the animation.
JD

Post by JD »

The editing work is complete and the file is now rendering. Hopefully, it will be fully uploaded and processed for viewing by 6PM and with any luck the music copyright holders won't block it.

On another note, I found the notorious 'Whackkk Award' that late E-Teamer, Bruce Carr made for our club many, many contests ago. It shall of course be presented to BudRob for obvious reasons. Afterall, the plant you see in the background derives its nutrition by digesting the houseflies that survive by eating the neighbor's cats' scat. "So there I was flying along like a hero and winning the comp until I ate [fill in the blank]."

JD

Post by JD »

The final version of the open class race video is up and posted in the flight video section: http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=17146
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Thanks for the animation Jonathon. Very cool.

Did you get a video of my landing?
JD

Post by JD »

BudRob wrote:Thanks for the animation Jonathon. Very cool.

Did you get a video of my landing?
I think I was still on my way to rounding the 3rd or 4th turn-point while you were landing. Just how many hours behind the lead did I write in the captions anyway. I think I may have left a day off as well. With all the people holding video cameras in the LZ it's a wonder that nothing else has been posted. My guess is that will remain unchanged. Our safety officer used to post some pretty good club event videos but that seems to be no more. So did Tom C, Max and even OP. I'm sure there are others I've neglected.
chadness

Post by chadness »

the animation video is great. so fun. thanks for creating it.

i completed the course, but much slower than the podium folks. why? well, this is the first time i have been able to look at another person's igc file (track). so i have real data now. i *love* real data.

opening the kimono here... my climb rates and air speed looked close to the same as the podium folks. where i choose to climb (thermal locations) also looked pretty much the same. but the big difference is glide speed between thermals. either my vario is not using the right polar or the podium folks are flying significantly faster than the vario calculated best-glide speed (more toward the mcredy speed i would guess). in addition i am guessing they have the vg full on despite the medium+ bumpiness of that day. i know what i need to work on.

anyway, great comp, great day and great people. thanks to all.
JD

Post by JD »

chadness wrote:....either my vario is not using the right polar or the podium folks are flying significantly faster than the vario calculated best-glide speed....

Chad,
That's all good when you're flying in open flatlands. Sylmar has a finite number of house thermals and lines of ridge lift. The trick is to fly to the lowest expected working elevation of the next house thermal as fast as you can get there without arriving too low and then exit without lingering too long for the last few feet of altitude.

The altitude above best glide feature is handy for the last stretch.

Any time you want to set up a task and race let me know. In spite of my terrapin-like sloth I do know how to race. Cameras be damned!

JDDQ
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Chad,

No, the winners of competitions are not flying "best glide" speed, nor are they flying close to McCready speed; they are flying AT McCready speed. I won't waste time telling you why right now but you can obviously see the results. I would be happy to explain the McCready speed theory with you at in person but know that Paul McCready conceived this speed theory with racing in mind.

Until recently, Jim Thompson was also flying too slow (best glide)and he now flies using the McCready speed indicator for comps. You can see the result as he was not only second in this Spring Air but also in the last Dahlsten Cup.

Best glide speed may get you to the next thermal at max altitude but McCready speed gets you to goal first.

Rob
chadness

Post by chadness »

@Rob, yep, my suspicion was that was the case:) I understand the theory and have no doubt that flying McCready speeds is the best way to win a comp. The downsides to it are the normal Sylmar puckers: flying faster in turbulent air and potentially getting to waypoints with poorer landing options at a lower alt. Seems my choices are to man-up and pull in more on the string and the bar or continue to fly slower and higher and stay far away from any podiums. Knowing myself, I will probably do something in the middle:)