SCFR day5

Moderator: Comp Committee

jdevorak

SCFR day5

Post by jdevorak »

Day 5: The Hurricane missed us, or maybe it decided that it liked New Mexico better. We got to FLY! By the time of the briefing at 11:00 we had casper clouds (friendly Cumulous) and light winds. The called a task 10 miles to the southeast, 17 miles to the northwest, 21 miles to the southeast, then 15 miles to home in the northwest. In the immortal words of Rob Burgis, I did great until I ate shit. Kendall took the first start clock from 5600 feet. Not all that high for this place. Half of his gaggle turned back. I had one of my best starts ever. I was at the edge of the start cylinder at cloud base (6500 feet) 15 seconds from the second clock. Yesterday I finished my book and played with my vario in simulation mode. It helped. Found my next thermal after 8 miles. I could see a gaggle at the turn point 2 miles ahead. I chased at “speed to fly� which is faster than best glide. By the third thermal they were coming to me because I was climbing so well. 5k from the second turn point I was at cloud base with all of them below me. I couldn’t go any higher so I decided to lead. Cocky me. It went downhill from there. I did not find another thermal and flew all the way to the ground. Kendall did the whole course mostly below 6,000. Kraig Comber won the day and is not in first place.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!