SCFR2015 Task 4

Moderator: Comp Committee

jdevorak

SCFR2015 Task 4

Post by jdevorak »

Task 4. I climbed up out of the cellar…well maybe just on the steps up. Today’s weather briefing made it sound dubious that we were going to fly at all. Predictions were that there would be no clouds and stronger winds than yesterday. Early tug flights proved that it was very turbulent near the ground. The pilots briefing was a long talk about safety. Then Mitch Shipley took a vote. Larry Bunner and I were pretty much the only ones to vote no. Larry did because it was his wife’s birthday. I did a wang close to the ground yesterday. The other pilots said to check conditions again in forty-five minutes. The conditions did improv. The clouds did show up. The task was on. Ken decided to take the early bird’s launch. I kept my assigned position in the back of the pack (33). The task itself was 50 miles, an entry start, with 5 turnpoints and several crosswind legs. The later legs were kept short and more into the wind to give the task more validity. Today I wanted to learn from my previous mistakes and stay higher. I waivered when the second clock went by and I was only at 6k. Then I saw several gliders climbing a mile away and I went for them. It was Kraig, Ryan Voit and the rest of the lead gaggle. We did a fast climb to cloudbase and I kept up. I thought I was in heaven. THEN, they departed going west. It took me a minute to figure out that they had already made the first turnpoint. I had to go upwind for 5 miles to get it. BUT, this time I had some altitude. I continued on my way never getting lower than 2,000 agl. Until landing of course after making 3 of the 5 weighpoints. Ken got 4 out of 5. Greg made goal landing at 6pm after all the finishers had left. In today’s overall I jumped 3 places. I’m still near the bottom but not getting crushed like a grape.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!