Owens anyone?

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

gregangsten

Owens anyone?

Post by gregangsten »

The summer is ticking away while we bounce around under the inversion. Let's get outta town for Labor Day and get out from under it. Anyone interested? At this point, camping at Tuttle Creek may be the only option but that's fine with me since it's close enough to LP that you never need to cook.
JD

Post by JD »

You have my attention! I better fill up my O2 cylinders.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

If weather cooperate, I'm in :)
skydizzy.blogspot.com
hgflyboy

Post by hgflyboy »

Me too! Anybody have a good source for oxygen refills?
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Many airports (not all). Some welding places (not most). Call around. In theory you can get it (for more money) at medical supply places, but the ones I've talked to want a prescription. Go figure.

Barnes Aviation at Fox Field in the Antelope valley does it, but they cost more than some others ($35, if I remember right). During the week, there's a welding place in Bishop, just SE of the center of town. Good price. Nice guy. When I checked last year, there was no place in Lone Pine any longer. :-(

Good luck.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
JD

Post by JD »

I get mine filled here:

Air Source Industries
3976 Cherry Avenue
Long Beach, CA  90807
(562) 426-4017

Greg - No Labor Day Owens flying for me until my broken toe heals. - Jonathan
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Jim Mercadante and I are talking about going. (We've been intending to go that weekend for a while.) If we go, we'll likely be self-contained. Hopefully, they'll be others there. It's always fun with more pilots (within reason.) I might fly the Falcon.

But don't hold your breath for us. We have had to pass the last several times we've made these kind of plans, unfortunately. We will try, though!
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

hgflyboy wrote:Me too! Anybody have a good source for oxygen refills?
I go here:

http://www.advancedgasproducts.com/

They are cheap and quick.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Jim and I will likely bail on the Owens this weekend, although final decision is not yet made. I'll double check the weather later today.

The last few days have looked great (of course.) But starting mid-day Saturday, the forecast is for SW winds, getting stronger and more west as the weekend progresses.

Timing will be critical for Horseshoe (no surprise there!). Saturday looks possible, but also could be unpleasant due to the Westerlies. Although, if it is not scary, it looks pretty good, with strong lift to high altitudes. (17-18k?) Sunday/Monday look very unlikely, if not downright dangerous.

Of course, all that is for the Sierras. If you want to fly the Eastern side (4wd required, mostly) that's another deal. Saturday should be fine, and maybe Sunday/Monday, but I'd be very careful as the winds are supposed to pick up and get quite strong, especially Monday.

Good luck, fly carefully, and if you do fly Horseshoe, be very careful of the Westerlies. (And remember that forecasts are not ground-truth. They can be overly optimistic and overly pessimistic.)

I plan on trying again each weekend until the season is over.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Even Saturday don't look good to me. Next time. :?
skydizzy.blogspot.com
frosty

Monday?

Post by frosty »

Forecast is for light south winds in the Owens on Monday. I'm planning to fly from Walt's or Paiute then on my way back from Sun Valley. Anyone else going to be there?
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Weather for this weekend looks promising. It will be North & South XC leagues meet in Owens this weekend also. However they normally launch from Paiute.

Does anyone plan to flying from Walt's? Let me know :)

Alex
skydizzy.blogspot.com
JD

Post by JD »

Dizzy wrote:.........Does anyone plan to flying from Walt's? Let me know :).....
I'm with Alex on this nice flying opportunity. If anyone wants to hook up, let's do it. We will need a driver too.
Jonathan
nmerider - gmail - com
Xander

Post by Xander »

I've never been to the Owen's. Could I fly from Walt's on a Falcon?

-Alex
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I wish I could go. Sick children. :-(

I plan on going the following weekend if the weather cooperates. (Oct 1/2/3) I was going last weekend, but the westerlies picked up and I bailed on it.

Note that Horseshoe CAN be flown in a Falcon. Don't do it without an experienced guide, though - Unless YOU are an experienced guide. ;-)

Also note that the season is rapidly coming to an end. Flying there can be good until quite late in the season, but they usually close Horseshoe Meadows road (The road to Walt's Point) at the first snowfall. That could be next week. That could be January. It varies a lot. The East side of the valley is open longer, but the roads are rougher.

Good luck. Have fun. Watch out for any Westerly winds.
gregangsten

Owens

Post by gregangsten »

Well, I'll go if I can scrounge up a basebar. I'm looking for an aluminum one to replace my cracked C one. Doesn't look like it will happen for this weekend but maybe next.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Hi George,
What do you think about launching from Paiute with light E or SE wind? Its kind of in the lee, but probably thermal cycles will block it.

NAM forecast show south in the valley, so hopefully it will work out well. Too bad you can't go.

Alex
skydizzy.blogspot.com
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

This is probably late, but ....

I'm not in favor of it. In theory it shoudn't be a problem but there's this: How do you actually know it is a light over-the-back, and not strong? The mountains are big enough you could launch and find yourself slammed. That's why the Westerlies are so bad in the Sierras. Clouds help, though. Then you can tell what it is doing up above. Or helium balloons. Or more "agressive" pilots. ;-)

Ask Grant Hoag about SE near Black Mtn.

On the other hand, if you knew it was really light....

On my longest flight there, it was SE, but I launched Walts. I did fly by Paiute (twice) but because I was getting high a lot I knew it wasn't strong before I ever got to the Whites.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

It was very successful trip. We flew all 3 days: Sat., Sun & Mon. Weather was similar all 3 days, cross wind from south on launch with light east component on the top of lift. Base was around 13K-15K.

Sat.'s task was Paiute -> Boundary Peak -> Bishop (52 miles). I was 2 km short of goal because of strong head wind near Flyns LZ, but few pilots made it.
Sun.'s task was similar, but with shorter up wind leg with goal at Benton. There was 40+ pilots flying, including one HG pilot from San Francisco and 30+ made goal this day, including me.
Short task at Mon. was straight down wind to Benton. It took us little bit more then 1 hour to make it and again most of the pilots in goal. Many pilots had best flights (longest, highest, etc).

Alex

skydizzy.blogspot.com
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Looks like it was light. Good.

I'm glad you all had fun. Except for the road(s) to launch, I really like Gunter and Paiute.