King Mountain Hang Gliding Championships

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

King Mountain Hang Gliding Championships

Post by Ken Andrews »

Connie Work reports that the King Mountain meet isn't very far away. Their website says the contest runs July 9-14, and the registration deadline is June 22. Details are available at their website: http://www.flykingmountain.com/
Malury Silberman competed there in 2010, and reported that it was a great experience.
Busto

Post by Busto »

I believe Dietch flew there and did very well.
Malury

Post by Malury »

Both of you are correct!
You can fly high and far. I was getting 35 mile flights at 15,500 msl and better pilots were at 17,999! Jonathan was doing 90 to 100 miles.

The city of Moore welcomes pilots to camp in the park and provides hot showers.
You will meet good pilots from all over. It's fun.
JD

Post by JD »

Note to less experienced pilots: King Mountain offers afternoon/evening glass-off flying that can get you to 12-15.000' in glassy smooth air and well across the valley. You don't have to expose yourself to more hazardous mid-day thermic flying to make this a worthwhile trip. Plenty of pilots in 2010 where waiting until late afternoon to fly and were really enjoying it without all the stress. Some of the places I landed had surface winds gusting to 35 mph or had 180 degree wind switches and required tail-wind technique. Oxygen and/or very warm clothing is highly recommended. Launch is at 7.000' and it's easy to get above 12,500'. The scenery is spectacular.

Seek a mentor if you are not experienced in big air. The weather can be just as unforgiving as the Owens Valley. The pilot briefing each morning are by very experienced local instructors and must not be missed.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Yea, King can be real fun, and not too stressful in the evening. On the other hand, the weather can change dramatically in a few short minutes, so please keep an eye out. And remember that it takes a while to land from 12,000 feet, especially if you can't find any sink....

Oh, and the wind can often be significantly stronger at ridgetop level. I have seen it 50+ at ridgetop, and 8-10 at launch. Pay attention, and don't drop back unless you are certain you can get out or are high enough to go over the back.

But what a lovely place to fly!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
beemer

king mountain hang gliding championships

Post by beemer »

I've sold my Litesport 3 and need to ship to King mountain area.The glider needs a ride to the comp to be picked up by Jeff Feldman who lives nearby.If I can find a ride that would be great.Will pay $$.