Practice Task for Spring Air

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Chip
Site Admin

Practice Task for Spring Air

Post by Chip »

If you want to brush up on using your HG instrument for navigating tasks before the Spring Air, some out on Saturday May 9th, and we'll put together something doable for everyone interested.

I'll be there with the computer and should be able to download 5030's and 6030's. If you have a special cable then bring it out. If you need instruction on how to download your own track log, I'll try and help you there as well.
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Chippy,

Does your generous offer still stand for this weekend?

~L
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Yes, I'll be out today and will have a computer with the stuff necessary to put a task together that I'll be participating in as well.

I'm also testing live tracking, although the "live" part will not be working until next week. I've begun testing the viability of live tracking during events. Now that Airtribune is offer that service for free and has for some time, I figure we should give them a try.

More info here on what I'm doing. You can also see what it would look like here

Right now the site is being reviewed and I hope we can get it running in the next few days. If it works OK for the few pilots we're likely to get involved, then we'll also get it up and running for the Dahlsten Cup.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Those that want to participate using Airtribune must do the following:

1. Download and INSTALL the Airtribune app on their ANDROID smart phone. No iPhone is not supported

2. Make sure you create a login for airtribune using the app on your phone or via the web. However you MUST have logged in to airtribune at least once on your phone. This will make everything else much easier when it comes to registering for a comp.

3. Make sure before flying you either have a new battery you can place into the phone or have a fully charged battery. If you have an external power source, you could use that as well.

For today, we're not able to test the live part, but we'll be able to test how good the coverage is
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

We're going to try this again. Clouds are on the mountain but lifting. If you're inclined to try the live tracking, we've loved to have you. There are two practice tasks already up on Soaring Spot if you do not have airtribune.

Maybe see you out there today.
Chip
Site Admin

Results

Post by Chip »

Nice day, learned a lot about airtribune and how to run the tasks. Used the app to upload pictures. Really nice and strong lift.

Launched towers into a thermal that took me up to over 5k twelve minutes before the first start and pulled into turn point (1500) with altitude to spare. I drove past Kagel launch on the way to Lances but turned around to join DQ and run the task with him.

Found a good climb in may canyon just short of the start cylinder, as the start clock began, I ran into the 1500 again, DQ was struggling lower I kept looking forward to the clouds forming over trash and ran all the way just past the volcano. At 4100, I pulled out and tagged Lances. Most of the rest of the flight was tanking up just enough to get where I had the glide.

Results here:
https://airtribune.com/sa2015/results/task1/day/open
http://www.soaringspot.com/en_gb/sylmar ... 6-05/daily
JD

Post by JD »

A few quick scenes from Practice Day

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yUQlBvMLk[/youtube]