Big Sur - 2011

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Cyndia

Big Sur - 2011

Post by Cyndia »

Hi all,

I have gotten replies from several pilots planning to join Windsports in Big Sur the weekend of Sept 23-25. At least five are driving up on Thursday and another group on Friday. If you would like to join us (and you have not already let me know) please send me an email to czumpft@singular.com and I will count you in for the food BJ will be bringing!

There are a few carpool spots available in Thursday vehicles and several on Friday. If you would like to ride up with Joe, please let him know so he saves you a spot. He usually leaves the LZ around 4pm on Friday.

If you need the details for the trip, please email me at czumpft@singular.com and I'll send them right out.

Cyndia
BJ Strand

Post by BJ Strand »

Well, only 1 downtube was damaged on this year's Windsports Big Sur trip, and sadly, it was mine.

Myself and Mike Ivey were able to catch a ride with larry Chamblee and his "big white whale" suburban, which was great because my tired old blazer would have a beast of a time dragging the heavy laden trailer. Larry opted for the scenic 101 route, and it was beautiful!

When we got to camp, the most surreal atmosphere awaited us: there was a ukulele convention going on in Plasket Creek! Imagine 40 to 50 ukulele players all going at it. Every night they serenaded each other with group songs and open mic's. Unbelievable.

Friday 7 or 8 of us went to launch. It seemed pretty socked in, and chances for launch seemed iffy. Finally the LZ cleared and we all rushed off one after another within seconds. As we headed down, the fog returned and started to white out the LZ! Marcus, who had launched 5th or 6th, bee-lined and beat everyone down. Unfortunately, he landed downwind and we all followed. My favorite memory of it was being above and watching Richard start a spiral into the fog and then disappearing. Spooky! I myself came in hot and fast, and downwind. According to bystanders, I wacked hard and flew through the control frame, bouncing against the keel. I dimpled my left upright, and it'll need replacing.

Soon after we had almost all landed the fog pulled back and allowed Mike Ivey to make the one and only graceful landing into the wind. The LZ stayed clear the rest of the day and we cursed our luck for launching early. C'est la vie.

That night, at the ukulele open mic, we were treated to a "love it or hate it" song about some lady's missing, presumed dead, chicken. The song was titled, "Light a Candle for Lulu". Loved it! But to hear Joe Petrosian go on about it, I think he was the one that killed the chicken.

Saturday we reached full capacity, but the LZ was socked in, and remained so the rest of the day. That's o.k., because I knew a great place to hike to, the old bathtub in the middle of nowhere that lucky Chuck showed me 3 years ago.

I easily convinced Richard & Kat, Adam Newman, Eric Larabie, Max, Mike Ivey, and Marcus to go with me. We walked around the hills for almost an hour looking for it, though weeds and poison oak. And then we found it! And all I hear was, "That's it?" Walking out became a struggle, with lots of moaning and complaining. Returning to the main group, the survivors warned the others and about how bad it sucked, and how only an idiot would follow me into the woods.

Ten minutes later I was leading Bruce Kovac, Hungary Joe & Caitlin, Joe Petrosian, and Kris Greblo to the bathtub. Before we started down the hill, Armie Joe looked me in the eye and said, "If this sucks, and I'm gonna kick your ass!". This time we took an easier route and as a bonus, we found a dead rat in the bathtub. Upon arrival at the little bathtub oasis, Joe looked around said, "I'm gonna kick your ass so hard!". I don't get it....the bathtub rocks and is so cool! How am I the only one to see this??? Anyway, it was the highlight of the day.

The highlight of the night of course was Alex Wright taking a turn at the open mic and leading 40 ukulele players in Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire". They loved him and was the most interesting song of the night.

Sunday saw beautiful Big Sur weather, and everyone got a flight. Waiting at the LZ was Millie Greblo and her granddauther, (Joe's neice) Lyndsey. They had driven down from Marina and stumbled on the LZ just as the first glider landed.

Another great Windsports trip, and it seemed everyone had a good time.

Big special thanks to Kat Shaw for reserving the campsites 6 months in advance, Cyndia for all the help with the food, collecting money, and organizing, Larry for dragging the trailer, and Joe for having the trip every year.
M@rkus

Incorrect statements...

Post by M@rkus »

Unfortunately, he landed downwind and we all followed.
I beg to differ...
http://www.masc51.com/images/wnw.jpg
...to make the one and only graceful landing into the wind.
Approach and Landing with Fog:
http://vimeo.com/29811599
BJ Strand

Post by BJ Strand »

I stand corrected! Photographic proof trumps my memory any day of the week; Markus landed correctly. My apologies for believing and stating otherwise.

Markus, your landing rocked!!! And your pancake cooking skills are spectacular!!! Not to mention those amazingly delicious sausages you cooked!