1st Annual Anthill Cinco de Fly-O

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Susko

1st Annual Anthill Cinco de Fly-O

Post by Susko »

Okay it's actually my house-warming party, although there could be an opportunity for you to fly and even land nearby. You will notice that my posts now say Bakersfield instead of Houston. Yes, I moved back to Bakersfield -- I never thought I would say that either.

Next Saturday May 5th, I will be holding my housewarming party in Bakersfield. For those that are interested send me a private message and I will forward you the particulars.

What's the flying opportunity? Anthill. No Wait! Come back! My house is in one of the new developments on the Northeast side of town, which puts my house a few miles downwind of Anthill. (You can see it from my house.) If you can thermal up off the hill it is entirely possible to fly to one of the nearby open fields. For those of you with confidence in your RLF abilities, you could even land in one of the yet-to-be-developed plots of land in my neighborhood.

Come and fly. Come and party. Come and do both. Either way I hope to see you there. For those of you that don't, I will see you somewhere sometime in the mountains of Southern California.

Dave
OP

Post by OP »

Tell me more. What is the AGL of launch? Can you give GPS locations to see?

What about the party people? Is it possible to get it on, until the break of dawn?
Susko

Post by Susko »

I would come more for the party the flying.

The flying site isn't the greatest in the world. Anthill is an appropriate name. It's a bluff a few hundred feet high that faces Northwest. It's most reliable in the summer months when the afternoon winds kick-up. Most flights involve ridge soaring (and if more than three people are in the air it starts to get a bit crowded) and then top landing. If you want to look on Google Earth, its a little Nothwest of the intersections of Highway 178 and 184

That being said there have been some good flights from there. Dan Armstrong flew from Anthill to Bear Valley Springs. I'm not sure of the distance (I'm guessing somewhere between 30 and 50 miles), but the flight would have to involve a significant altitude gain because he had to get over or around 7000+ ft Bear Mountain and his LZ was at least a couple of thousand feet higher than the Anthill launch. I myself on a number of occassions have been serveral hundred feet over and drifting behind launch in a thermal only to bail back to the bluff because I was flying alone (I know...BIG NO-NO) and didnt' have a driver.

Come for the party, but I don't mind giving a site intro to those that bring their gliders. Let me know (via private message) if you are still interested.
danarmstro

Post by danarmstro »

Hi Dave,

Great having you back in Bakersfield. Come fly with us in Tehachapi. A group of us are headed out to Coyote Dry Lake between Barstow and Fort Irwin for a weekend of towing called Soar-O-Rama on May 5 and 6, so we'll miss your party. We'll be towing hang gliders, paragliders, ultralight sailplanes and sailplanes.

Dan Armstrong