Big T and Lukens as Launchable Sites

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Should the Club Take Steps to Re-Open Big T and Lukens as Launch Points?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 10

JT

Big T and Lukens as Launchable Sites

Post by JT »

See the posting under General Discussion Access to Launch During Forest Service Closure for the thread of discussion.

The question is whether the club should invest time, energy and money to re-open two former launch sites, Big Tujunga and Mount Lukens, which are now only available to XC pilots from Kagel.
JT

A lot of views but no votes?

Post by JT »

Is anyone else interested? Three votes "yes" is a majority but a rather apathetic showing with so many H2 and H3 members that probably would benefit from a new, nearby site or two.
JT

Post by JT »

After a month, the unanimous decision of all 6 members of the club is that the SHGA should seek to re-open Mt. Lukens and Big Tujunga as flying sites.

BOD, take note:

this is a mandate you may ignore at your re-election peril!!!

(Go ahead, LOL! I am. :lol: )
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

Seeing that I will be a future new member and have been seeing posts about how launch could be closed during fires. That would put a damper on things seeing that H2s can only take off from Kagel. I think it would benefit new pilots like myself.

Jamie
mercturns

Post by mercturns »

We should always take advantage of any and all oppertunities to open / re-open launch sites.The sad fact of the matter is we as a club stand a very realistic chance of losing our current flying site due to development. There are those of us who believe that its just a matter of time.

We need to make a strong effort on not only opening up Lukens and Big T as primary sites, but other potential sites as well..... Any ideas?
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

Just out of curiosity. What launch sites are there for the Kagel LZ? I know there is Tower and Tower 2. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

Main launch is for H2 and above. That much is clear. What are the names of the other launches and what conditions do they present that they're closed off to H2s?
Jamie Krasnoo
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

There are two real launches for the Kagel LZ. The "Normal" launch on top of Kagel Mountain, and the Towers. It is also possible to launch from the "2200", but you have to hike up, it is a long glide for low-end gliders to the LZ, and you have to drive through Camp 9 to get there. It is also possible that the launch now has too much brush on it. The old 1500 launch is completely overgrown, is too far/low to get to the Kagel LZ unless you go straight there, or get right up, and has no bailout that we could use with regularity.

That leaves just the two launches. Kagel you know about. Towers has a couple of issues. First, in any West wind it is unsafe. Yet standing on launch, it seems fine. The wind blows in. But, it is actually in a rotor. If you launch in a West wind, you are in for a wild ride. Second, it is a cliff launch, or nearly so. Most of our lower airtime pilots don't have that experience. Third, even in a "normal" SE wind, the launch is back in a hole, and the air can be nasty. Fourth, if the wind is strong, then the shape of the launch makes it very difficult to ground handle your glider. There are probably other issues, but these are the ones that come to mind.

These are some of the reasons that the Towers Launch is a H4 or H3 with a signoff. Heck, I've been flying for nearly 25 years, and I get nervous launching there unless everything is just right. And I will not launch there if the wind is even a touch West. Or even due South, for that matter!

The perfect conditions are ESE at about 4mph or so. Enough wind to make the launch clean, but no more. More wind than that gets tricky on launch, and less wind means you have to deal perfectly with the cliff launch. Less is better than more, though, usually....
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Malury

Towers Launch

Post by Malury »

Thanks George,
It sounds dangerous. Still it would be valuable to keep it as an optional launch site for use when conditions permit. Strict guidelines could be imposed on H-2s and H-3s.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

That's why it is a H4 or H3 with signoff. I'd be very hesitant to send lower air-time 3s or any 2s off of it. And even high-airtime 3s need a "walkthrough" of the dangers in-person and on-site.
Malury

Post by Malury »

I was flying over locals watching H-4 launch one day. Its intimidating.
I wouldn't dream of launching without being trained.
DigitalBishop

Post by DigitalBishop »

Thanks for the info on Tower. I think I'll stay away from that launch point if its that sketchy. Better to be safe than sorry. Good thing I ask questions eh?
Jamie Krasnoo
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I don't want to make it seem that the Towers Launch is no good. On the right days, with good launch skills, it is a fine launch. The problem is that the issues with the site aren't that obvious, so one does need to have a bit of training, very good launch skills and most importantly, the willingness to back off if it isn't right. (Heck, that's one of the most important hang gliding skills in general!)