RIP Erwin - We had many good times!

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

JD

RIP Erwin - We had many good times!

Post by JD »

I just got the call from Rome. I'll always be grateful for the many great flights I would have missed without Erwin's driving. I'm sure those who knew him better have plenty of stories and memories.

So 'long ole buddy!
Busto

Post by Busto »

AZB

Regards

Post by AZB »

I will miss the exciting and argumentative discussions I had with Erwin. It was always a pleasure to talk with him no matter how the talk ended. He was a friend and person I respected very much for the path he took in life. I know I will think of him often, especially when in the sky. Marla and I send our prayers out to everyone at SHGA and know he will be terribly missed.
Our condolences,
Bill, Marla and Joe Mong
Steve90266

Erwin

Post by Steve90266 »

When we first joined the club, Pat and I were always made to feel welcome by Erwin, the kind gentleman. He always had a kind word and a smile. Pat enjoyed her rides down the mountain while Erwin would regale her with amazing stories of hang gliding and pilots lost in the big blue sky.

We will miss you, Erwin. Your presence in the LZ will definitely be missed.

Steve & Pat Murillo
Steve Murillo
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Farewell Erwin -- RIP.

Thanks for being there when I made 145 miles in the Big OV. You were always available to help when we were in need -- thanks for rescuing my sorry butt from that car wreak in the OV, and thanks for joining our wedding party in your handsome suit and tie.

Forever yours,
Grant & Ratna
Dan Barley

Post by Dan Barley »

I am going to miss N6AUE! :(

He helped me out many times over the last 27 years. Always had a kind word. Too soon for him to go.

Dan B.
Dan B.
DrJeff

A legend in his own time

Post by DrJeff »

Erwin was a terrific man. He was indeed a gentle spirit, and even if you riled him up, it never lasted. He was also a kind man who made us all better people for knowing him.

I was privileged to know him since 1994, and I will miss him greatly. How many of us would have had MANY fewer flights were it not for his willingness to drive so faithfully? How many of us would have needed to buy MANY more radios were it not for his working his magic repairs and charging next to nothing?

And as for being a legend, who else ever received an award from the SGHA "for just being Erwin?"

The LZ will never be the same. For me, anyway, it will always have an emptiness that only Erwin filled. I am really saddened over this. I hope we can honor him somehow (maybe a little plaque?).

Farewell, my friend.

Dr. Jeff
Jeff Bjorck
www.purepiano.com ~quiet music to calm the heart in a noisy world~
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Spent lots of time 1000's of XC miles and countless of hours with Erwin. Most of the conversations with him were out there and hard to follow but some of them stuck and made sense. Those are the ones I will remember him for. He reminded of the crotchety towns clock smith from some town long ago. He eventually would fix your stuff. I will miss him. How he died was sad and could have been avoided its a lesson in our lives don't be stubborn take care of your self.
In memory of Erwin and Tom, my recommendation is put a fake street sign at the South end of the new concrete curb one sign pointing to Erwins old home call it Erwin Dr. and one facing North call it Cornelius PKWY.

Thoughts?
DrJeff

Seabass's street sign suggestions.

Post by DrJeff »

I absolutely LOVE the street sign suggestions! And before someone gets worried that we would have to put up a new one every time we lose a pilot, I think we should limit it to the truly great contributors and oldtimers. And, we could simply add signs for them on the same poll, just pointing in different directions like those European signs pointing to all different countries.
Jeff Bjorck
www.purepiano.com ~quiet music to calm the heart in a noisy world~
jdelear

RIP Erwin

Post by jdelear »

Erwin was a good friend and will be missed. One example of his loyalty was in the Owens Valley my Jeep Cherokee wouldn't start at Tuttle Creek campground and I needed it fixed, so Powerline Mike towed us with his van and a rope to Whitney portal rd and we coasted into Lone Pine. He stayed with me until the car was fixed, it needed a new crank sensor, and there was enough time to go to Black Eagle for a flight!
Xander

Post by Xander »

Deeply saddened by Erwin's passing. He was a kind and generous man, an honorable comrade and wingman, and I will truly miss him. RIP, brother.

-Alex
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

We are all poorer for Irwin's passing. I know I will miss him.

Fly high, my old friend!
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Erwin was the driver when I took my mountain lessons about a decade
ago. He liked to talk about the different gliders, Harrier, Saturn,
Predator, Dream etc, but mentioned the Swift more often as the
greatest glider. My first clear memory I can recall was during a
lesson when I radioed down to Greblo winds were 15 to 18. Erwin
with his "brutal honesty" said "You see that bush over there? When
its shaking like that he(Greblo) can see its blowing in at 20."
Erwin and I both at some time lived in Germany in our teens. He
told me he used to play in old cleared mine fields and would
carefully remove unexploded ordinance. I can only guess this helped
him develop "focus" that kept him safe in a life of hang gliding.
In another conversation I brought up Malta. Erwin stated his naval
destroyer was called in for a fire suppression operation when an oil
tanker in port caught fire and was out of control threatening the
port. Sometimes he would argue but he didn't argue when I told him
the law of "Conservation of Energy" in physics states spiritual
energy cannot be created or destroyed. I would like to think when
his time came, he stood tall, and walked through the ring of fire.
I am sure that he caught a thermal off of it and made it into the
Heavens.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

After my instructors, Greblo & Hungary Joe (who couldn't avoid me), Erwin was the first person to make friends with me at the LZ when I first joined SHGA long ago. He was the first local at this new place to create a connection with a new pilot - to make me feel like I belonged and was welcome. I know I'm not the only one who owes him for that. He fixed my stuff, and helped with plenty of advice with uncommon humility.

We shared the experience of getting a second chance through radical surgery, and I always tried to encourage him to move past it. He never really succeeded at that, but it was good to see him with a little time free of financial concerns. I think he got great satisfaction from helping the club recently by paying for some of our improvements. I'm glad he got that opportunity, and I appreciate his generosity. It was not surprising for him. He was a generous soul. Godspeed, my friend.
Flyyyyy
OP

Post by OP »

Glenn wrote:...Erwin was the first person to make friends with me at the LZ when I first joined SHGA... He was the first local at this new place to create a connection with a new pilot - to make me feel like I belonged and was welcome... and helped with plenty of advice with uncommon humility.
Mee too on all those points. The "uncommon humility" is a phrase I was searching for. Well put.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Xander wrote:Deeply saddened by Erwin's passing. He was a kind and generous man, an honorable comrade and wingman, and I will truly miss him. RIP, brother.

-Alex
Ditto.

I have many fine memories of Erwin, but the one that I remember most was when he was on top of Kagel with me helping me make one of first mountain solos. I'm sure countless other pilots remember him in that role.

He was kind and generous and honorable in all the years I've known him.

Fly high, Erwin ... higher than ever before.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Erwin McDavid was cremated at the Armstrong family mortuary. His ashes were send to an Oakland County, Michigan nephew named Felix McDavid.

Let's say goodbye to him Irish Wake style on St. Patrick's Day, Sunday, March 17. It doesn’t need more than a green theme, a handful of ballads, booze and a BBQ to happen.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

If I had remembered correctly and he was in the Navy he would be entitled to military funeral honors.
http://factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/2011 ... erals1.pdf

listed above:
one or more of the following:
21 gun salute
folding and presentation of flag
military aircraft flyover
burial at sea

edit: We can do our own flyover, any green gliders?
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Who wants to help-out this coming St. Patty's day 17 March after flying?
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Groundhog wrote:Who wants to help-out this coming St. Patty's day 17 March after flying?
I think that's a great idea!! It was good seeing so many Sylmar pilots at Torrey last week, so maybe a few of us can make it up to Sylmar this weekend to remember Erwin.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.