Intro to Flytec 5030 & 6030 - Sat 1/10/15

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Lynn McLaughlin

Intro to Flytec 5030 & 6030 - Sat 1/10/15

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

If you own (or plan to purchase) a Flytec 5030 or 6030 and you want to fully understand its potential, I strongly suggest you attend the following clinic:

Introduction to Flytec 5030 & 6030
Saturday, January 10, 2015
10am - 11am
In the Gazebo

This hour long clinic, led by Rob Burgis, will provide you with what you need to know to set up your instrument, customize it to your flying needs and understand the various readings.

A second, more advanced, comp related clinic will happen at a later date; before the Spring Air Competition. Rob will post a curriculum later for each clinic but right now, we need to find out how much interest is out there and what people might want to know.

Please reply to this post so we can get an idea of the level of interest.

Soon We Fly!
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I am interested.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

I'm in, but the facilitator should plan to plagued with endless questions! How DO you get the vario to phone ahead and arrange pick-up when you land out? Apparently, it also requests the liquor of your choice?
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
mario

Post by mario »

I am interested.
I just need to find a used 5030 for sale!
jfriesne

Re: Intro to Flytec 5030 & 6030 - Sat 1/10/15

Post by jfriesne »

I don't own either of those devices, but I think I'd like to attend anyway just to learn what I'm missing out on :)
Steve90266

6030 Class

Post by Steve90266 »

I'm in! At long last I'm going to figure out how to make my vario do more than go "beep beep beep"!
Steve Murillo
BudRob

Instruction outline

Post by BudRob »

OK I tossed together the below outline so those interested can see what can be learned.

Bottom line is that knowing GPS position at all times allows this instrument to display important information that a non-GPS integrated instrument cannot, such as but not limited to:
o Wind speed and direction
o Headwind/tailwind component
o Best glide speed
o Best glide projection to waypoint (such as, “will I make it back to LZ and by how much�)
This information will make you a more informed, and therefore better pilot!

• Summary of user fields – what all that stuff on the instrument is telling you.
o Non-changeable fields
o Programmable User Fields – some of the displays are chosen by the user, based on what data is important to him/her. I will review those that I think are most important and why.

• Waypoints – what these are and why you need them to be a better pilot.
o Our LZ is the only one you really need to start with.
 Explanation on how this instrument minimizes the “guessworkâ€� on getting back home with enough altitude, therefore allowing you to venture out further with added confidence.

• Summary of basic settings – What that stuff means. Many of the fields chosen on the display can be adjusted to work differently based on user preference. Example – digital thermal climb rate can be adjusted to display climb rate over the last 1 second or up to 30 second average. All basic settings will be covered briefly but some will be covered in more depth because they matter much more than others. There are:
o Digital Vario Mode – use of climb rate averager
o Polar Data – what this means and how to set it up for your glider/pilot combination. This data must be entered to utilize best speed indicator and glide projections to waypoints (such as getting safely back to the LZ).
o Airspeed Mode/Correction – how to get your airspeed reading right and why it matters
Fat Fred

Post by Fat Fred »

I have a 5030 that I have not used and want to learn about it so I will be there.

-Fred-
vannoppen

Class

Post by vannoppen »

If I can buy one of the GPS integrated ones before then I'm in as this is the most important aspect for me to become a better pilot.
Frederick

Post by Frederick »

Please expect me.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

Hey, I'm happy to sit in the middle, between two have-nots who want the knowledge. Will happily share my user fields. It's a lot to take in all at once, so the more you're exposed, the better...
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

I am also happy to share my 5030 for those who do not have one...

You may want to bring a notepad/pen for notes.
mario

Post by mario »

Many thanks to Rob for sharing his knowledge and to all that helped make this clinic happen, including having copies of the 5030 manual to help understand some of this complex gadget!
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

This was an excellent presentation, thanks to Rob for putting it together.

By the way, I seem to have lost not one but TWO pitot tubes just sitting around at the table. One's a piece of the blue tubing that Andy and/or OP have available, and the other is a genuine Flytec one. If anyone happens to see them at the table, I'd be happy to have them back at some point. Thanks!
AlC

Rob's Presentation

Post by AlC »

Excellent presentation on what these little mobile sensor/computer packages can do. I've had mine a couple of years. I knew it beeps when going up and records flights, but the other functions were really hard to grasp from the manual. I think we went about 3.5 hours today to get a good feeling for how to unlock more of the advanced functions. Rob's practical explanation of the function, and how to use it, helped a lot.

Great job!

- Alan
Chip
Site Admin

Instrument Clinic

Post by Chip »

Here's the small contest we did after the 2nd instrument clinic

http://www.doarama.com/view/265322