Otto Meet 46th at Dockweiler (May 21st)

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Bob Kuczewski

Otto Meet 46th at Dockweiler (May 21st)

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

From Frank Colver http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2682 :
What is now becoming an annual tradition, the 46th anniversary of the first hang gliding worldwide meet, May 23, 1971, will be held at Dockweiler Beach, CA on Sunday May 21, 20017 from 11:00am to sunset.

This also happens to be our regular Sunday Funday since it is the 3rd Sunday in May.

As in the past, US Hawks and FDGS will share the cost of renting the Windsports school for the entire day so that pilots who have not maintained their USHPA membership over the years can fly a Windsports WW Condor under supervision of the school and thus be covered by the school's insurance. Pilots with current USHPA insurance coverage can sign the register with their current hang rating shown. Their is a county beach parking fee and a $5 HG site use fee.

Please pass the word along to hang glider folks you have contact with. Many of those who have attended the 44th and 45th anniversary meets have expressed the fun they had (it's like the early days says this old timer) and said they hoped it would become an annual event.

Those who still have a relic HG from the past bring it out to fly or just show. I'll leave my Eipper FlexiFloater home this time (been there past 2 times) to give someone else room to set up their old glider.

County rules do not allow paragliding at this site.

Frank Colver, President: Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society (FDGS)
Come out and enjoy a fun day.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
greblo

Post by greblo »

Just to clarify Bob's post above.....
Everyone pilot flying Dockweiler Beach will be required to be a member of the USHPA. Most pilots will already be members, however some may not so we're prepared to provide temporary 30 day USHPA memberships for those vintage pilots that may have let their memberships lapse.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I am blocked from this forum however I have circumvented that technology and am here to post that the Bob show has been renewed for season 10.
Ushpa attempting to come into Los Angeles and blocking Bob will be their undoing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQ03P29vTQ
Bob Kuczewski

Lexington and Concord

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

dhmartens wrote:Ushpa attempting to come into Los Angeles and blocking Bob will be their undoing.
I believe that is largely up to Joe Greblo. If Joe tells the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors that he thinks people shouldn't be able to fly at Dockweiler for testifying in court or for petitioning their government, then they may support that injustice (although I will do my best to fight it).

But if Joe tells them that he doesn't think it's right that USHPA tells him to ban pilots who've been responsible and respectful users of Dockweiler, then we may see a new future at Dockweiler ... and throughout the United States.

This is an important moment in the history of hang gliding.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
brianscharp

Post by brianscharp »

dhmartens wrote:Ushpa attempting to come into Los Angeles and blocking Bob will be their undoing.
Bob Kuczewski wrote:I believe that is largely up to Joe Greblo.
I'm not seeing much ambiguity in...
greblo wrote:Just to clarify Bob's post above.....
Everyone pilot flying Dockweiler Beach will be required to be a member of the USHPA.
Bob Kuczewski wrote:This is an important moment in the history of hang gliding.
You mean the moment of Joe's apparent decision, or the upcoming 46th anniversary...
on Sunday May 21, 20017 from 11:00am to sunset
?
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Private organizations in the United States have a great degree of discretion in their membership requirements (the Ku Klux Klan, for example). But governments will find it difficult to require membership in such organizations as a prerequisite to use public land.

Insurance is tightly regulated to protect the public - especially in cases where insurance is mandated to use public resources. I would be surprised if it's legal to deny insurance to someone because they testified in a case.

By the way, according to Wikipedia, the KKK lost a civil lawsuit for the 1981 lynching of Michael Donald. In order to pay the settlement, they had to sell off their national headquarters building in Tuscaloosa. Why does that sound familiar?
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Brian wrote:
Bob Kuczewski wrote:This is an important moment in the history of hang gliding.
You mean the moment of Joe's apparent decision, or the upcoming 46th anniversary... ?
Joe has an opportunity right now to push back against USHPA's illegitimate jihad. He can do that by publicly repudiating USHPA's actions and by urging the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors to remove USHPA insurance requirements at Dockweiler. Ken Andrews could do this as well, but I suspect Ken follows Joe's lead.

I will note that no other sport practiced at Dockweiler bears the burden of insurance that hang gliding does. Insurance has become the "felicium" of hang gliding (Doug will know the reference).
JD

Post by JD »

Bob spiked the water at the LA County Board of Supervisors meeting with fellatiocum or whatever that drug thingy was called. Here's the LA Co Board having safety meeting....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9pD47K8fj8[/youtube]
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

NME wrote:Bob spiked the water at the LA County Board of Supervisors meeting with fellatiocum ...
Readers note: Whenever you see a juvenile and diversionary response like this, you can be sure that the post before it made a particularly good point for which the diversionary poster had no legitimate response.

The reality is that I will likely not be able to fly at this year's Otto meet because of USHPA's retaliation for my testimony as an expert witness.

We (Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society and the US Hawks Hang Gliding Association) plan to hold the event despite the increased obstacles created by USHPA. It should be another fun day of antique gilders and antique pilots. Come out and join us!
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

The shga President assures me am I am not blocked from the forum and we are working on the detail of restoring my ability to post freely without resorting to the assistance of the Dutch government.

Bob, Please purchase the 30 day ushpa membership from windsports so you can fly Dockweiler. We would like to film you purchasing this. If a memo has been release denying you the ability to purchase this we would like to photograph this memo. I will bring in 2 additional federal agents as backup in case I am some how unable to purse this matter and publish their photos. I must remind you Bob that I am an investor in the RRG and it would be a conflict of interest to work against its interest. But I will warn the executive committee they can be immune by being pure of heart and commit no crimes and keep their eyes closed as their exorcism is performed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEkkdY3-d7c
Bob Kuczewski

Back on topic ...

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

I started this topic with a post of Frank Colver's nice invitation regarding the 2017 Otto Lilienfhal celebration at Dockweiler. Frank was one of the founding members of USHPA (#7) and he is the current President of the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society.

Joe Greblo posted additional rules which served as a reminder that USHPA politics are deeply intertwined in our sport. The discussion deviated toward politics from there (with the typical childish vulgarity tossed in by Jonathan Dietch).

As hinted in my previous post, I'd like this topic to remain about the Otto meet itself, and so I've opened a new topic for these political aspects in the "Politics of Flying" section here:

Politics of Flying at Dockweiler

Joe Faust (USHPA #5) has created a similar topic on the U.S. Hawks forum here:

Los Angeles, California

Lets continue the political discussions in those topics. Thanks.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Just a reminder that the Otto Meet at Dockweiler will be next Sunday, May 21st.

Please spread the word.
Bob Kuczewski

2017 Otto Meet Photos on US Hawks

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

We had another good turnout at the Otto meet two weeks ago, and I finally published about 100 photos at:

http://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2722
(sorry it took so long)

We had a nice mix of first time pilots flying right alongside some of the founding members of USHPA. Thanks to all Sylmartians who stopped by. :D