Kevin in Hospital

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
greblo

Kevin in Hospital

Post by greblo »

Kevin Kader is at Holy Cross Hospital at 15031 Rinaldi St., Mission Hills, after an unsuccessful launch at Kagel on Monday. He is in good spirits and expected to fully recover but his stay may be a couple of weeks. His injuries include a couple of broken bones in his neck, some broken ribs, a broken nose, and a crushed lower eye socket.

I’m sure he’d welcome lots of visitors. Let me know if you’d like some company when you visit him.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
gregangsten

Re: Kevin in Hospital

Post by gregangsten »

Kevin this sounds awful. I'm really sorry to hear this. Good luck with your recovery and we hope your mug returns to its former beauty.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Heal quickly, Kevin!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

Kevin -
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a fast recovery.

Larry
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
Vrezh

Re: Update on Kevin

Post by Vrezh »

Kevin went trough several surgeries in different hospitals,
had some rough times, pretty serious matters.
But it's finally over.
They fixed him good and send him home.
Still long way to recovery, but he is in good spirits,
and getting better every day.
He is a tough guy, he will put himself together in no time.
Speedy recovery, Kevin!
Klkader

Post by Klkader »

I'm finally back home and wanted to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes. Thanks to all who visited me at the hospital. My injuries are such that my Physicians told me I can't go back to flying; another neck break would likely be a terminal event. I missed death by one inch according to my surgeon. I'll be happy to drive when needed and you'll see my happy face around the park but if I ever suggest I might go up again, someone, anyone has my permission to give me a good swift kick in the rear, lol. I can't drive for at least twelve weeks but i'm going to try and make it to the Christmas Party. Hope to see you all there. Kevin
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

It's always great when these kinds of topics trend toward descriptions of recovery. The accelerating advances in medical technology remind us that we should never say "never" on what the future brings. I still remember the worldwide media coverage of the first heart transplant. A buddy of mine got a new heart in the last year and it didn't even make the local news. Never say never.

I hope it's not too soon to ask, but are there any lessons to be learned from the incident? The only thing worse than seeing one of our pilots take a hit ... is seeing it repeated by someone else.

Thanks in advance, and best wishes in your continued recovery.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Steve90266

Post by Steve90266 »

Kevin, glad to hear you are on the mend. Sorry we missed you at the Holiday Party. Hope to see you in the LZ soon! Speedy recovery!
Steve Murillo