New Emergency Contact Information

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

lswendt

New Emergency Contact Information

Post by lswendt »

While driving to launch on Sunday, we happened across a group of sheriffs on dirt bikes and one with an SUV giving citations to people riding on the illegal motorcycle track (yeah!). The sheriffs came up to launch afterwards and we had an opportunity to find out more about this unique unit.

This group of guys is responsible for patrolling the Angeles Forest (and beyond) in Los Angeles County (outside the city boundaries) all the way from Santa Clarita to Sylmar. They are headed up by Deputy Jeff Martin and are responsible for crime prevention and search and resuce among other things. The road to launch and launch fall under their jurisdiction and the sheriff's station they work out of is Crescenta Valley.

Deputy Martin gave us a couple of phone numbers to call in case of emergencies. The procedures are as follows:

IN CASE OF MEDICAL OR FIRE EMERGENCY ON THE ROAD TO OR AT LAUNCH

Call (818) 957-2918

TO REPORT CRIMINAL ACTIVITY ON THE ROAD TO OR AT LAUNCH

Contact the Crescenta Valley Sheriff’s Office at (818) 248-3464

ALSO, leave a message for Deputy Jeff Martin on his direct line at (818) 236-4019 letting him know why we called.

We are posting signs with this information in the LZ and once the gate is across the road, we will post the numbers at launch. Deputy Martin and the Sheriff's Department have been working with the Forest Service on protecting the land from further destruction, hence the gate.

I would also ask all pilots put these two numbers in their cell phones.

It was a great opportunity to interact with this important group in our community. It was obvious they don't see us as a problem but as allies.

lw
JT

Post by JT »

I understand the fire and medical emergencies; does this specifically mean they want us to call to report OHVs and anyone we suspect is dumping? I mean, are they considering OHV activity criminal? I'm guessing "yes" but I don't want us calling in and having it considered an annoyance because they really meant to have us report corpse planting.

Will you clarify for the club?
lswendt

Post by lswendt »

Any and ALL suspected criminal activity. OHVs on the road okay. NOT on the road, not okay. Once gate is up, we'll get clarification from the Forest Service who has approval to be there and who doesn't.

lw