Kern County Mountain Guide Available for Tours

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Susko

Kern County Mountain Guide Available for Tours

Post by Susko »

It's a little early in the season for Kern County Mountains, but come summer time, it just might be the cure for the "bounce off the San Fernando Valley inversion at 4000 ft blues", and I'd be more than happy to show anyone willing to come up I-5 the 'local' flying sites.

As a summary:

1. Slickrock near Porterville (not to be confused with Split Rock near Lake Isabella)
The good :D : Beautiful scenery (Sequoia Nat. Forest), Huge LZ's - the primary LZ is a grass landing strip with a big windsock (it is so big it appears on maps), Easy launch - a wide open granite face that pregressively gets steep - nature couldn't build a better launch ramp
The not so good :twisted: : I describe this place as Crestline X2 in that you have two ridges with an intimidating glide to cross before making the primary LZ. There is a huge bailout LZ below launch but you're looking at a long hike.
:!: Basically, if you don't have a glider with good VG, you'll need to work in close to the ridge until you get enough altitude to cross the gap(s) or be willing to hike.

2. Tehachapi
The good :D : Strong lift with high altitude potential, big LZ with a stiff wind.
The not so good :roll: :The launch is inside a gated community and I don't have a pass, but I know a few people that do. This kind of limits the number of pilots that can fly there. Also, the strong lift can lead to some very turbulent air.

3. Midway (AKA Taft or Fellows)
The good :D : Huge bowl shaped LZ means every direction is an uphill landing, some XC potential
The not so good :cry: the glide out to the LZ is a bit tough for single surface gliders and if you're flying there it's probably hot (like africa hot)

4. Comanche
The good :D : Easiest to access - You just need a hardy 2WD. Big LZ within glide.
The not so good :? :I've been told getting up there is hit or miss but all of my flights there have been at least an hour with over a 1000 ft alt. gain. Unfortunately you need to kind of break the law to fly there :o (tresspassing - a minor one). Any ill attempted XC flight might land you at the base of the mountains in Tejon Ranch land (those we tresspass against and they aren't too forgiving)

In short, (too late) if any one is looking for something different, different is only an extra one to three hour drive away. I'm more than happy to show flying buddies something new.

-Dave
Christian

Post by Christian »

Great offer, and I'll bet you'll have takers.

Seems to me Lake Isabella area in general is sort of an undiscovered paradise. Great white water kayaking, easy family rafting trips, incredible windsurfing (typical morning calm until noon, then 25 knots on flat water!), a real family place too.
Susko

Post by Susko »

Since you mentioned it, there are three flying sites in the immediate Lake Isabella area. Beacon Hill and Split Rock (not to be confused with...)are both rigdge soaring sites for the strong west winds that kick up on Summer afternoons. There's also Cook's Peak, overlooking the lake from the south. There is some question as to when to fly this site. A pilot that (interestingly enough) doesn't fly anymore, claims that it has good XC potential in the Spring or Fall, I myself have never been up there, but it seems to me with the unforgiving terrain around the lake, you would need either lots of altitude or little brains to try to go XC from there. According to Hungary Joe, the best time to fly there is when a high pressure system is really close and therefore keeps the strong and dangerous winds (for Cook's peak) from kicking up. Speaking of Hungary Joe, he has organized weekend trips to Lake Isabella in the past.