La Salina, Mexico trip planned for the last week end in May!

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Brad Hall

LaSalina

Post by Brad Hall »

The folks at Torrey Flight Park have an annual trip down there that always includes a donation drive for the orphanage. You may want to contact them for more info. Great to see the Sylmar club include this in the flying trip. Be safe down there and have fun.
Brad Hall
Steve90266

La Salina Hotel cost

Post by Steve90266 »

Guys and Gals,

I'm still working on this but it looks like I've got the cost down to about $45 per head per night, not including taxes or breakfast. I'm still trying to nail this down. Breakfast will be an additional/optional $8. We might be able to do better outside the hotel.

We're talking about Ocean Front cabanas here. Couples will be sharing cabanas as well (common bathrooms), but separate bedrooms (of course).

THE MAJOR PREMISE HERE IS THAT SINGLE PILOTS ARE WILLING TO SHARE ROOMS/ACCOMODATIONS

If any of you single pilots out there need to have your own room, please let me know now.

I'll get back to you with more soon.
Steve Murillo
brandonpeterson

Post by brandonpeterson »

Steve,
I'll be on this trip as a single pilot. I would like to have a "bedroom" to myself and share bathroom and kitchen etc. I spend most of my life not getting enough sleep so it would be great to have my own bedroom. If this costs more then just keep costs leveled at 45 for everyone by increasing my cost to cover which I'm sure was your plan... Also planning this way is good so if there is a screw up then I can just share my room in the end :)

Also anyone who hasn't been on this trip CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://stat.ethz.ch/~dettling/lasalina.html
Brandon_P.
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

As long as there is an electrical outlet in the room, I'm OK with sharing. If there's no power for my CPAP machine nobody will want to share with me. Of course, I can always drag along a battery and inverter.
Tom
brandonpeterson

Post by brandonpeterson »

Brandon_P.
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

Steve,
It is looking like I will be going on this trip without Jacquie. She hasn't stated 100% that she isn't going but she has serioius reservations and I don't expect her to go.
Just wanted to make sure you had current information on a head count.
thanks,
Bill
Steve90266

mexico trip

Post by Steve90266 »

No problem, Bill. Got ya covered.
Steve Murillo
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

hey steve, i just found out i have to move my office that weekend. unfortunately i won't be able to go so please take me off the list.

thanks, eric
Steve90266

Mexico Trip

Post by Steve90266 »

Bummer. Waaaaaa! :roll:
Steve Murillo
MikeI

Post by MikeI »

What time would each group be leaving on Thursday and/or Friday? I don' think I can get off both days, but if we leave late(ish) on Thursday i can make it. Otherwise put me in the Friday group.

Also, are we coming back sunday, or staying through monday (memorial day)?

Mike
Steve90266

Mexico Trip

Post by Steve90266 »

Mike, as hard to believe as it may be, we are leaving the weekend FOLLOWING Memorial Day WE.

Each group will leave at approximately 5 to 6 PM. Plenty of time to get to the LZ or somewhere along the way.
Steve Murillo
Xander

Post by Xander »

Hey Steve - please take Sazia off the list.

Thanks,
Alex
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

There was a comment by Max that we want to participate in donations to a charity/orphanage on our way to La Salina. I would like to know if this is "Door of Faith"? I was trying to find out the types of items that we should or could donate. I have gone to their web-site and have a link
http://www.dofo.org/ongoingneeds.php that lists the on-going needs for this Orphanage.
If this is not the correct organization that we donate to can someone please share additional information about this activity?
Thanks!
Bill
max

Post by max »

Bill that is the correct orphanage
Smile now Cry later
MAX
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

May I join the La Salina trip?

Post by Ken Andrews »

May I still join you at this late date? I've never been to La Salina, so it would be a new experience for me as well. My preference is to drive down Friday. I've got a current passport, no significant other, don't speak a word of Spanish, and am flexible about sleeping arrangements. Camping is great if there's a halfway decent place for it and if anyone else is interested. I can offer a vehicle if necessary; capacity is four gliders and five bodies. I'll bring a tennis racket; once upon a time I was passable at the game. Thanks,

-Ken Andrews
WingNutz

Sindicatura

Post by WingNutz »

A few years ago, we learned of an organization named "Sindicatura" in Mexico that deals with police corruption. It looks like a sort of "Internal Affairs" office within Mexican federal, state and municipal governments.

See, e.g. http://www.tijuana.gob.mx/Turismo/Touri ... /pag13.asp

A group of Americans who trailer boats and such into Mexico sells a kit of stuff that is supposed to help you avoid being the victim of police shakedowns. It includes a decal to display in the windows of cars. They say that displaying the decal deters corrupt cops from stopping tourists on the pretext of traffic or other violationsl, and shaking them down for money. Here's the decal.

Comments on the forum of an organization called "Support of Sindicatura" say that the sticker is effective. See,

http://svcs.myregisteredsite.com/svcs/d ... tml&page=1

I think that there is a printable version of this image on the website somewhere, but I can't find it any more. I also can't find my old post on that subject.

Ken, do you remember this?
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
jwjanda

Post by jwjanda »

If there is still room, I would like to join this trip as well. The down side is I will need someone to grab my glider in Sylmar, and then pick me up in San Diego along the way. I'm right on the 805 freeway so it won't send anyone off the path. Let me know if this is possible.

Thanks
-Jay
Steve90266

La Salina is coming up in 2 days!

Post by Steve90266 »

La Salina is coming up in just 2 days! I will be sending out an e-mail direct to all the participants, but just in case, let's review:

1. Most everyone is departing Thursday afternoon. Be in the LZ with your gear NO LATER THAN 5 PM. Trucks load at 5 and we launch at 6 PM (or earlier if we have everyone). Set radios to 144.35.
2. DON'T FORGET YOUR PASSPORT
3. Eat a late lunch on Thursday. We will NOT be stopping for dinner. Bring something to eat in the car like granola bars, nuts, etc
4. We will be making a stop in the OC to pick up Bill Brick and his glider.
5. We will be stopping in San Diego for gas and to join up with Jay Janda. We will then make it to the crossing and purchase border insurance.
6. On we go to the Baja Seasons Hotel. ETA: 11:30 PM.

Things to bring:
1. YOUR PASSPORT
2. Changes of clothes
3. Bathing Suit
4. Toiletries
5. Pocket money
6. Flight gear to include chargers for vario and radio
7. Sleeping Bag (just in case you have to share a mattress) or lend to someone.

Costs:
The hotel will run each pilot about $45 per night. Be flexible on this in case the hotel hits me with some surprise tax. They tell me that's it but you never know. The Windsports fee is $100 per pilot and that covers the entire weekend.

If you are having your glider transported, you will need to reimburse that driver for carrying your glider to and from. Please be generous.

Also remember to reimburse the driver you ride with for your share of the gas. Don't wait for the driver to ask. Be polite and ask first.

That's about it for now. I will be sending room assignments, maps and such tomorrow. Sleep well and dream of flying.

Steve M.

:D
Steve Murillo
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

thanks for the information Steve. I have a couple other questions:

1.) Does Joe want us to bring cash for the training fee? Seems like he will end up with too much cash on him in Mexico.

2.) Since you put up the large deposit to hold our rooms, how do you want us to pay our portion of the cost? Will we pay the hotel directy for our rooms?

3.) For those of you who have flown there, what weather conditions should we expect? I looked at online forecasts but would appreciate first hand knowledge if you have it.

4.) Will we be making a stop at the Orphanage to donate food, clothes, money? I don't want to bring stuff if we will not be making the stop.

Did you have a good idea of a meeting location to pick me up? Possibly at or near the Irvine Spectrum located near the 405 and 5 junction.

Thanks!
Bill
Steve90266

La Salina

Post by Steve90266 »

Joe would prefer cash. Max checked the weather, and it looks so so right now, but I'm optimistic that it will improve.

I'd like to pick you up on the south side of the 405 Fwy, at the intersection of Irvine Center Drive and Research Drive. Will that work for you?

Bring at least one item for the orphanage. Joe's plan is to visit the orphanage on Saturday morning, once all the troops are accounted for.
Steve Murillo