All zipped up and ready to land...

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
dteal

All zipped up and ready to land...

Post by dteal »

Back in mid-July, I was scratching at Volcano and eventually gave up. Arrived over the LZ at 1900 and my Z5 harness zipper was jammed solid - couldn't even force a knee above the jam to apply pressure. As panic set in, I made several attempts to break away the velcro on one side with no success. With only one hand on the base bar, the glider was getting out of control. I finally made up my mind that I was landing zipped up and started my down-wind leg. I then started replaying in my mind the numerous landings that I've seen Fred Ballard and Joe Greblo make on tandem flights, and thankfully, I have wheels my WW U2. Landed without a problem, fully prone, on the wheels. Lesson learned = unzip early. You can always zip back up if your get lift and sky out. Someone asked if I considered trying to flare such that I could "no-step" land on the boot. Didn't enter my mind at all - seems to me that hiking up the down tubes while prone would pull the nose down and "lawn dart" you into the ground.
DT
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

A really good pilot COULD land zipped in a Z5 harness. I don't claim to be a really good pilot, but I've seen it done. Furthermore, how do you land on wheels if the l/z you are landing in is an emergency rock-strewn field? I just don't want less experienced pilots to think it's not possible to land a Z5 harness zipped--you just have to be good enough at landing to do a no-step flare or hop it out a little.
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Christian

Post by Christian »

When I had a stuck zipper I ripped the red Velcro release handle right off the harness trying (unsuccessfully) to get it open. (The handle had been improperly stitched back on after a previous Wills Wing zipper replacement job)

Joe said later that you should use both hands to break out of the Velcro on a stuck-zipper Z5: one hand pulling on the red handle, the other hand pushing the Velcro apart.

This requires flying no-hands for a moment.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Yes, you can land with a "no-stepper" while zipped up. Don't worry about the lawn-dart thing. Why would the zipper affect how you hold your hands on the downtubes? (Yes, I've done it. No I don't want to do it again.)

The issue is that you really do want a no-stepper. Anything less is not good. And dropping in from too high is not good. Better to figure it out early and rip the velcro open. That DOES necessitate using both hand (usually). Thus you must fly hands-off for a short while. That means you do it HIGH and away from others, right?

Wheels and a grass strip make it far far easier, of course! ;-)
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

If there is little or no headwind it may be difficult or risky to expect you can execute a no step landing.

1) In that case, is it wiser to belly land (with wheels of course)?

2) What if you have no wheels?

3) What if the LZ is rocky or thick brush?

4) Isn't it hard to get upright while zipped in, reducing your flare authoritaaaay?
Flyyyyy
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Glenn wrote:If there is little or no headwind it may be difficult or risky to expect you can execute a no step landing.

1) In that case, is it wiser to belly land (with wheels of course)?

2) What if you have no wheels?

3) What if the LZ is rocky or thick brush?

4) Isn't it hard to get upright while zipped in, reducing your flare authoritaaaay?
1) Maybe, maybe not. What is the surface like? If "rollable" and you have wheels, I'd wager that's the best solution. If it isn't "rollable" or you don't have wheels, I'd wager not.

2) See above

3) See above

4) No. In some harnesses, it might be harder if you don't know the trick of bending your knees. But generally, it isn't hard to get as upright as you are going to get with an open zipper. Of course, that's just your body, your legs are still bent and trapped....

If the ground is smooth enough and you have wheels, I'd go for the wheel landing. Otherwise, I'd do anything in my power to avoid being prone on impact. It is hard to die from falling over, even in a harness at 10 mph. It is very easy to die (or be paralyzed) by hitting head first. Do a good aggressive flare, then just as the glider drops (with or without forward motion) tuck and protect your head/neck. Get as close to a PLF as you can get. (Knees together, bend to take the shock, then roll on your side.) We'd all rather break our arms multiple times than our necks even once, right?

Someone else may have a better idea. All three times I needed to do this I found a solution. 1) Landed as I described above and did it perfectly. 2) Landed on wheels on grass. 3) Figured out how to rip my harness open at 300 feet before final, despite causing $150+ of damage to the harness. Best $150+ I ever spent.

A better solution is open high. Then you have time to work on getting it open without hitting anything. Or to figure out what you are going to do. Time to think can be a good thing.

Rule number one: Fly the glider. If you are messing with the harness at 150 feet or lower, you are crazy.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George