Richard's Magic Sun Glasses

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Don

Richard's Magic Sun Glasses

Post by Don »

Richard & I flew Marshall yesterday (Sunday). The first 30 minutes were challenging - I had two low saves out in front of the "750" that kept the flight alive but each time the climbs didn't even bring me back to launch altitude. Richard got to 4,500' but his luck ran out and he landed after about 40 minutes.

Richard said he wanted to video my landing - in my new Matrix harness and asked that I inform him when I was getting low again. Conditions improved and climbs were now to 6K msl. About 1:40 into the flight I was again getting low and floating around the "750" - I told Richard to get ready - I was probably heading in. Richard responds and tells me to go to my right (West) - I couldn't imagine what his basis was for that advise but since I hadn't heard a beep from the vario in a while - why not! Within 10 seconds the vario was beeping slowly. As I turned and turned and turned the vario's pitch increased. At one point the lift was 1,000' and my 30 second averager was at 700'. The climb brought me to my highest altitude of nearly 6,100' - a 3,000' climb!

When I landed I immediately asked Richard how he knew where I should go to find lift - he said he had these Magic Sun Glasses that showed where the lift was. :o Now many of you believe I'm gullible :? but even I didn't fall for this one! When pushed for a more plausible explanation Richard said that he saw the flags/streamers in the LZ pointing up the hill and instructed me to go to that area. Don't know if it was luck or what - but I added 40 minutes to my flight and only landed because I thought Richard was probably getting tired of sitting around the LZ.

Thanks Richard ! :D
Chip
Site Admin

Only one flaw

Post by Chip »

The "Magic" Sunglasses appear to have one drawback ......

They only work on the ground. :P
JD

Re: Richard's Magic Sun Glasses

Post by JD »

Don wrote:..........I was probably heading in. Richard responds and tells me to go to my right (West) - I couldn't imagine what his basis was..........
..........only landed because I thought Richard was probably getting tired of sitting around the LZ..........
What am I? Chopped liver? Richard had the pressure, I mean pleasure of my company in the LZ.

My luck also ran out early and I landed not long after Richard at 55 minutes. I had a low save that put me 200' higher than Don but I got spit out the back side of that thermal and was drilled. When I circled around I saw Don 200' higher than me and then everyone else started climbing everywhere and I had nothing but 400-600' down all the way to the LZ.

I was there when Richard a big thermal blow through while he was on the radio with Don. You couldn't mistake it from the LZ.

BTW - Richard's Ray Ban's really do enhance contrast tremendously but thet are polarized and cause LCD screen to appear black at most angles and can't be used in the air. Too bad about that. Read Steve Seibel's comments about this: http://www.aeroexperiments.org/GPSsoar.shtml

Here's Don's scrappy landing save: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNqrobIdD8
RichardShaw

Post by RichardShaw »

Don your welcome. I don’t fly with them because it would be an unfair advantage. Actually about 1 minute before Don said he was going to land there was a small gust in the LZ, the north west flag (at the corner of the concrete pad) and the American flag that’s on the property behind the LZ pointed the way to the thermal. At the end of Don’s flight I also asked again if he wanted to say up a little longer this time the glasses really were working. From the LZ the next peak west of Marshal launch (Cloud) there was a dust devil just below the ridge. This was not visible with the naked eye as other pilots (including chopped liver) used my glasses to see this. Don said he’d had enough and came in for his less than spectacular landing. He still kicked my butt staying up.
JD

Last Hurrah

Post by JD »

Here's where I somehow blew it while Don goes up after being below me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nYeVzY2TnI
I am guessing that Richard was in the LZ wearing his Magic Spex and coaching Don over the 2-meter: "Now fake out Choped Liver by popping your nose up and he'll imagine he's in lift, then as he's sinking out quietly scurry back to the real thermal." Or words to that effect.
Worked like a charm too!
lswendt

Post by lswendt »

Wow! I understood the thermal-sensing glasses were only available to hang 4s. Maybe that's why yours only work on the ground.

lw