Nike base

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

olin

Nike base

Post by olin »

Does anybody know if the Nike base is accessible somehow? I flew over it today and it looked pretty cool in a rusty, overgrown, cold war relic kind of way. I'd like to check it out.
Malury

Post by Malury »

If you flew over it, it must be Fire Camp 9 that you saw. I see three rocket rocket launchers there (from the air). You would need to get permission from the county fire dept.

There are many more Nike Base sites sprinkled around LA's mountains. Some were rocket launch sites and others were Radar sites. Mt Disapointment is a Radar site 3miles of road behind a locked gate. Puente Hills is similar. There is a probation/fire camp in Malibu hills you can drive to.
PS. The rockets are long gone.
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

Maybe 5 years ago I drove up to Fire Camp 9 and the Nike Base behind it. If memory serves me, there was plenty room in the gate for my 220 pound frame tofit through to access the Base and I had a ball of a time. There is a fully equipped bachelor pad of sorts on the base that, if I could live in it, would be way cool.

I really don't think going past the fence is going to get anyone in any trouble other than possibly a verbal reprimand by a zealous Camp 9 worker, if that.
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

So, I think in this case, as in most hang glider landings, it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!
olin

Post by olin »

Thanks for the info, guys!