Yes, they should fund the whole project
58%
No, it will get done faster without the board involvement
17%

Total votes: 12

Joseph

Outcome from Board Meeting

Post by Joseph »

The board has approved the placement of a device to improve cell reception in the LZ and has agreed to assist in the effort.

Malury Silberman has agreed to be the conduit between the board and the members installing the device should any questions arise that need a fast response from the board.

The board will match member contributions 1 to 1 to a maximum of 300 dollars. So, if a member contributes 20 dollars, the board will match with 20 dollars. This level will cover the 600 dollar budget estimate.

So that the board knows what dollar amount to match and to free Sebastian of the responsibility of tracking the contributions, Katherine Yardley has agreed to track them. Simply place any contributions in an envelope marked "Cell Servce" in the post at the L/Z. Sebastian, if you or anyone else has collected contributions directly please give them to Katherine.

The board hopes this helps. If you have further questions or concerns contact Malury.

Thanks.
Don

Sounds fair and done quickly

Post by Don »

Thanks BoD

The terms of the approval - matching funds - sounds fair.

Don
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

I'm in.

Organizer of this thing, contact me at 213 380-8049 and let me know what $ you need.

I have brought up the idea before, thanks Sebastian for getting this going again!

Thanks to all willing to "do".
jeffrey Carlisle

Cell Phone Booster

Post by jeffrey Carlisle »

Being able to reliably use a cell phone is a very important business issue. I don't get many calls but the ones I do are very important.
Jeff Carlisle
Don

Jim

Post by Don »

Jim,

As indicated in President Joseph's post - the easiest thing to do is deposit your contribution in the safe in the LZ. Put money/check in a day use fee envelope and indicate "Cell" or other appropriate wording. If that is not convenient - snail mail would also work.

$50 - Right? :roll:
JD

Re: Jim

Post by JD »

Don wrote:.......the easiest thing to do is deposit your contribution in the safe in the LZ............
I'm an infrequent flyer but Mr Everyweek, Don B lives a few blocks away so maybe I'll give him the little manilla envelope to help get this show on the road.

Otherwise, what address should we all use to mail in our phonebooth dimes?

In fact I propose we build a mockup of Dr. Who's Tardis complete with flashing blue beacon on the top and make that the high reception area.
Malury

Post by Malury »

If you want to mail contributions the address is: Sylmar Hang Gliding Assoc. Po box 922303 Sylmar, Ca. 91392
Anyone who would like to contact me can reach my cell at 626 818 3646. If I don't answer I am probably at the LZ. My cell doesn't work well there so leave a message.
Last edited by Malury on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malury

Post by Malury »

Once we receive enough money, we hope Sebastian will aquire the repeater and I will assist him to set it up temporary to make sure it works and adjust it for best operation. then we will make a permanent installation. Right Sea Bass?
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

I will purchace the materials needed & get paid back when we know it works that way if it does not work the members & the board are refunded easier. Malury e-mail me your phone numbers & I will arrange the install with you. Maybe next weekend Sat 10/18 if its not a 10K day.
Chip
Site Admin

LZ Repeater Installed

Post by Chip »

On Friday October 31st, Sebastian installed the LZ repeater. So far everyone that has tested it reported good results. 8)

For example, Robert Bustemante had full bars on his Apple iPhone (previously he said he got nothing), Barton gets good phone reception in the "barrio" but needs to be closer to the gazebo for data.

Currently the repeated is temporarily mounted in the gazebo and water proofed with a plastic bag. Sebastian wanted to have it up for a week or two before the final installation is complete.

By all accounts this project is working well and now it's time for all of you that said you would chip in to do so.

I believe Sebas will install the repeater in a water proof NEMA box and get the cabling a bit more wind proof.

Let Sebas know how well it's working by posting here. We would like to know about your previous signal strength and what your new signal strength is now.
abinder

Re: LZ Repeater Installed

Post by abinder »

Chip wrote:On Friday October 31st, Sebastian installed the LZ repeater. So far everyone that has tested it reported good results. 8)

For example, Robert Bustemante had full bars on his Apple iPhone (previously he said he got nothing),
Do you happen to know if Robert was able to be a good '3G' signal in the LZ or was it just an 'Edge' network signal?
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

A reminder per the President's earlier post:

"The board will match member contributions 1 to 1 to a maximum of 300 dollars. So, if a member contributes 20 dollars, the board will match with 20 dollars. This level will cover the 600 dollar budget estimate.

... Katherine Yardley has agreed to track them. Simply place any contributions in an envelope marked "Cell Servce" in the post at the L/Z. Sebastian, if you or anyone else has collected contributions directly please give them to Katherine. "
Flyyyyy
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

My 3g iphone was switching over to edge but showing 5 bars. But then it would suddenly show no service. And then back to 5 bars. Not sure what that means but the times it worked it worked great.