Yes, they should fund the whole project
58%
No, it will get done faster without the board involvement
17%

Total votes: 12

skygeek AKA Seabass

Bad cell service? Answer LZ Cellullar repeater/booster

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

I had a customer of mine ask me about improving the cell coverage in his home, so I looked into it & was turned on to this product WI-EX YX610 I have the same problem at my home so I tried it there first it worked, then installed it in my customers home it worked there to. It covers a 10,000sq ft area, I thought we could use it in the LZ, it seems most people have problems with dropped calls from the LZ. It works on cellular & PCS systems which is most carriers, it does not work on Nextell. The unit runs $600.00 & I would install it for free with a valunteer, So interested parties tell the powers that be to check out this post or talk to me about it.
abinder

Re: Bad cell service? Answer LZ Cellullar repeater/booster

Post by abinder »

skygeek wrote:I had a customer of mine ask me about improving the cell coverage in his home, so I looked into it & was turned on to this product WI-EX YX610 I have the same problem at my home so I tried it there first it worked, then installed it in my customers home it worked there to. It covers a 10,000sq ft area, I thought we could use it in the LZ, it seems most people have problems with dropped calls from the LZ. It works on cellular & PCS systems which is most carriers, it does not work on Nextell. The unit runs $600.00 & I would install it for free with a valunteer, So interested parties tell the powers that be to check out this post or talk to me about it.
Amazon lists it for $499.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Extender ... 000LBVEI0/
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I'm willing to kick in some money. Maybe we should have a "Cell phone coverage drive"?

If Amazon can supply it for $500, then it wouldn't take all that much in the way of donations, right? If 1/2 the club put in $10 each, that makes more than enough. Of course, we all know it will be more like 1/4 of the club, so that just means $15-20 each.

Thanks Sebastian, even if they don't do it, it is a good idea.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

don't we as shga already have more than enough to buy this without it costing ADDITIONAL money? for safety reasons alone, we all want cell phones that work! isn't this what club funds are for?
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Don

Club Money

Post by Don »

Janice,

In my opinion, the Club has sufficient money to fund this project. As a Club Member you are entitled to review the yearly financial statements. You can then make your own decision as the relative financial health of the Club.

The "problem" with requesting the Club to pay for it is that the Board then formally has to get involved. If various members chipped in for the item then the Board involvement, if any, would be minor.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

For safety reasons, the land-line works just fine.* This is a convenience issue.

I'm not saying the club shouldn't pay for it. I'm just wondering how the rest of the club members (several of whom have told me they don't care about cell coverage) think about it. If most of them want it, then that's great. I was just saying that if they don't, then I'm willing to chip in. I KNOW that there are some who would want it, perhaps enough to make it work.

For me, just the ability to call my wife in the LZ if I land out is a big plus! That's why I'm willing to chip in. If the other members feel that way, then great. If not, I'm still willing to chip in assuming we can get enough folks to pay for it.

So, if the club wants to, fine. If not, then we could do it the other way.

*After I thought about this again, but before I posted, I thought of one way it could be a safety issue. IF the EMTs called to the LZ need to talk to the hospital, it might matter. Otherwise, the only safety issue I can see is calling the EMTs (or other rescue folks.) The land-line works just fine for that. I can't imagine we will be talking directly to doctors while doing a rescue ourselves in the LZ. ;-)
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Don

Talk is cheap

Post by Don »

Since Talk is Cheap - I'll kick in $20 next time I see Skygeek - Sabitchen the Atosinator. If he gets enough money - great! If not, he can return the $20.

Who else is willing to put in their money?
JD

Re: Talk is cheap

Post by JD »

Don wrote:............Who else is willing to put in their money?
I'd kick in $20 too. My wife prefers that I call her from the LZ and not 2,000' over the LZ. Go figure? I try to explain but she gives me zero bars.
JT

Post by JT »

Hey guys, why not just ask the BOD to bring it up? The president has a discretionary $200 to use for any cause he pleases. Two fifths of the way there and he doesn't need anyone else's approval. But I'm sure that the BOD would approve it unanimously on the basis of safety. If anyone had to depend on Rob's poor coverage to call for help, well, better to start stretching the string on the can-phone.

Never mind. I'll ask Joseph to bring it up at the meeting this coming week. I promise, if it isn't approved, I'll never post here again.
JT

Post by JT »

Yes, really!
Fat Fred

Post by Fat Fred »

I too am willing to kick in another $20 or even $40 if that helps to make this happen.
-Fred-
Malury

Post by Malury »

I'm a bit worried that this device may not even work at our location. It seems to be designed to rebroadcast radio signals on the interior of a building that has cell service on the outside. Our problem is probably weak signal in the first place.

It may be that it needs to be mounted on the woodchips or even on SIBL's grounds to work. Can we borrow one and try it out?
JD

Post by JD »

Malury wrote:............Can we borrow one and try it out?
You have a very valid point. Our LZ is pretty low and it's rare that I get a signal from ground level. Maybe the signal needs to be picked up from an elevation and transmitted to the repeater by co-ax cable?
BTW - I finally joined the SHGA and sent in my dues plus initiation fee so the coiffers are one c-note fatter.

Anyhow, it looks like a high gain antena like these: http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/antennas/
will be needed to pick up the weak signal.
The same store has all sorts of repeaters: http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/repeaterkits/
Maybe we need a consult?
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

This would be third on my priority list just behind modifying the Coke machine to take Canadian quarters, and an electric aluminum can crusher so more cans will fit in the recycle bins. In a way its nice to be out of range and not bothered by outside communications. But in reality I am one of those who has gotten in trouble multiple times by not returning or missing an important call and it would be nice to remain in communication with the outside world. Will this device actually work? Will it stand up to the elements? Can it be used to cook chicken? Can it handle several calls at once?

I think this could be considered a safety issue.
Doug

Can you hear me now?
JD

Post by JD »

dhmartens wrote:..........Can you hear me now?
Sorry Doug, could you speak up a little? I can't quite hear you over the screaching and squaking from the half-cooked chicken stuck in the electric can crusher when it ran wild after getting beaned by the Candian quarter spit from the of the Coke machine change slot when a CDMA signal spiked it's circuits from an errantly point YAG antena on roof the 4x4 of the guy who just broke our new padlock with a can of freon and a chisel.
Jonathan
JT

Post by JT »

You two are, apparently, kindred spirits following the White Rabbit.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Cell Booster

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

The way it works is there is a cell & PCS Antenna both antennas go together on one pole 15' high, this is placed where a cell phone has at least 2 bars. A coax cable would run from the antennas to a powered booster then the booster has its own antenna to receive & transmit the calls & yes several phones can work on this at the same time.
JD

Re: Cell Booster

Post by JD »

skygeek wrote:The way it works is............
Not just a sky geek but a full fledged air wave surfer! Cell-bastian is his name and he has raised the bars. Now, if we can get more than 2 votes in the aformentioned poll. So, what are we looking at in real dollars for a reliable cell-peater?
Cheers, Lewis Carroll
Joseph

Are We All in Agreement That We Want to Hear You Now?

Post by Joseph »

I just want to pose a few questions:

1. Does everyone really need to be reachable absolutely everywhere they go?

2. Isn't there something good about not hearing cell phones ringing and not hearing people having conversations on cell phones at least somewhere in our lives?

3. Is it really that important? People got along fine without them for a very, very long time.

I am just trying to provoke some thought. My vote at this time is on the fence and I will be happy to bring this up with the board if only to make sure Jim can post in the future.
Chip
Site Admin

Guess that's all we need to hear

Post by Chip »

I've heard all I need to hear, looks like we should fund the project from pilot donations. Our next "problem" will be where can we place such a unit so it works the best, and have permission to do so?

I'm pretty sure that will be a "talking point" for the board as well.

Sebastian, do you have an idea where you would likely place it? And how about its durability outside?

Wasn't the same arguments about the wireless network brought up? It was certainly an issue for the whack-cam. What a bunch of paranoid, conspiracy weirdos we have. (IMO) :evil:

I see the ability to have better cell phone coverage in the LZ as a life and safety issue. The better coverage is a good thing and not a problem or a privacy issue. Lets not make it one. :|