"Cloudsuck" by Davis Straub--Book Review

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Christian

"Cloudsuck" by Davis Straub--Book Review

Post by Christian »

Davis Straub, honcho of the Oz Report (www.ozreport.com), the controversial international HG blog, has recounted his quest for cross-country records in a full-length ebook available on his Site.

Straub was a wannabe who had never flown more than 10 miles when he hooked up with the pioneers of xcountry and got his first taste of it. It changed his life. He left his writing job in Seattle, bought a travel trailor, and assigned his new wife Belinda as his retrieval driver. Along the way he met everybody famous in hang gliding, scared himself, saw fatalities caused by ambition, stupidity and plain bad luck, learned micrometeorology, flew a lot of gliders and decided on rigid wings, made friends and enemies, and eventually flew over 400 miles. Belinda has retired her wings now, but he's still at it--still up there flying 6-8-10 hours at a time, making low saves at sunset and burning to land always over the next swamp of alligators.

Straub is a good writer and his introductory description of what hang gliding is is one of the best I know. However, he has little interest in the inner life of hang gliders , which may be just as well, since he is possibly the least diplomatic personality in the sport, which is saying something. I would have liked to hear more of Belinda's side of the story, more of what hang gliders have in common (if anything), more of what it all means, more of where the sport can go. But if you fancy xcountry, or just wonder what makes these guys tick, this is a book for you.
Don

Straub and the USHGA Strategic Plan

Post by Don »

I enjoy reading Straub's comments regarding the USHGA's Strategic Plan and the (Straub's view) probability of it being successful. He makes these (well intentioned) individuals look like the Keystone Cops.

Sad but, unfortunately, probably true. :(
lmar

Post by lmar »

I appreciate your book review in here. I haven't heard about the book, but it sounds interesting one. Aside from that, I think the book is full of adventure and this has something to do with flying.
Last edited by lmar on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stebbins

Re: "Cloudsuck" by Davis Straub--Book Review

Post by stebbins »

Christian wrote:.... However, he has little interest in the inner life of hang gliders , which may be just as well, since he is possibly the least diplomatic personality in the sport, which is saying something.....
No way is he the least diplomatic personality in the sport. He's certainly in that direction, I've said so myself (despite liking him.) I suspect he'd agree. On the other hand, there are quite a few others that make him look like a seasoned diplomat. ;-) A few hours going through the OZ Report will place you face to face with many of them - or at least their postings. :-) Of course, you can also find some good information there too.

Thanks for the review. I keep thinking about buying the book, but haven't yet. Maybe I should.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Christian

Post by Christian »

You should buy it, George. It's about long distance flying--a particular mental illness you share.

Interesting that the first post above is from 2006. If this were a paper book, it would be long since out of print. But even small-circulation ebooks live on. And now I would read it on my Kindle, not a laptop as back then.