Falcon league?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Falcon league?

Post by Ken Andrews »

A couple common criticisms of our flying site is that there are few places to land out, and that it's a "fishbowl" where we go around and around between West Towers and Big T or thereabouts. There's an easy solution: fly a Falcon! Cross-country basically begins beyond a glide of the LZ, and one can get there pretty fast on a single surface glider. With those thoughts in mind, who would be interested in exploring what a Falcon can really accomplish at Kagel? Currently, Joe Greblo is about the only one who knows; maybe it's time to change that.

I'm wondering if there would be interest in an informal Falcon cross-country league, that seeks challenging flights right here at Kagel, perhaps every other Saturday. While I imagine it primarily for Hang-4 pilots on single-surface gliders, anyone with sufficient confidence in landing skills and a desire for adventure would be welcome.

We might start out easy, walking a few local emergency LZs, and landing at the base of the dam. Then the adventure begins...

On an ordinary day with a ceiling of 4000 feet, could one fly to West Towers and back with the topless guys? On a 3500 foot day, could a Falcon get to West Towers while the topless guys chicken out?

How about launching Kagel and flying open-distance to the east?

When cloudbase is below launch, would it be worth finding a way to launch at the 1500 and boat around under the clouds, while everyone else waits in the fog on top of Kagel?

Who's interested?
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

Sounds like a lot of fun, Ken. I'd dust off my falcon for this. I'm sure Freddy would be up for it too, he loves landing in bushes.
JD

Re: Falcon league?

Post by JD »

Ken Andrews wrote:.............Who's interested?
I just sold my Falcon earlier this week, and NOW you spring this on me? :roll: It was a Falcon 1 195, so maybe I should look for a Falcon 2 or 3 170? It sounds like a great skill building exercise. Greblo already gave me the lecture about why owning a T2 won't make me a better pilot, etc. I would liken this to expert sailing yacht racers who also race in various dinghy classes in order to keep their skills up. I would be interested to participate in this series. I would just need another Falcon and somewhere to store it.
Don

Post by Don »

NMERider wrote:I would just need another Falcon and somewhere to store it.
A little money will solve both those issues! :?
JD

Post by JD »

Don wrote:
NMERider wrote:I would just need another Falcon and somewhere to store it.
A little money will solve both those issues! :?
Oh yeah. Before this week I had some of that too. LOLOLOL
knumbknuts

Post by knumbknuts »

Jonathan,

Assuming I'm not in the event and my brother isn't using it back east, you can borrow my f3 195
Frederick

Post by Frederick »

Oh, I love this idea! Class-flying.

Falcons seem great to me -- I'm having a ball on mine and still growing my skills after 200 hours (I haven't flown a double-surface before). Sounds like they're more-responsive, and give better feedback on air nuances. (Dave Cutter discusses those in his flying in comps seminar).

Here's the other parts of what XC is for me:

I also think it's great to blow off the gym periodically and do 20 skill-building landings at the beach (including rear-wire premature flares -- "air brakes" -- foot dragging, pole-jumping, ...) so that it's more comfortable to hang on somewhere low, betting your bottom dollar.

My fun is directly proportional to how decent my place to emergency land is, and it may be that I've always got a decent place in mind (so the more up my landing skills are -- they rust -- the broader my range/bigger bets I take). My concept is that I'd like to be *super* familiar with how my glider lands, like I see in instructors at the beach, so I can have lots of comfort (read: safety) landing in some place with unknown air and terrain detail surprises. I'm still working towards that level of familiarity.

FYI I wear long pants and hiking boots flying, because I feel that's what I'd like for landing out on rough terrain, and for hiking out. And I've almonds and water, a cell and some cash, and wheels to help walk the thing out any roads. And all that makes me more comfortable, to then hang out a little longer somewhere out, to find some lift.
JD

Post by JD »

knumbknuts wrote:Jonathan,

Assuming I'm not in the event and my brother isn't using it back east, you can borrow my f3 195
John - I greatly appreciate your kind and generous offer! I think that would perform great since I hook in around 190#
Thanks! Jonathan
abinder

Post by abinder »

Ken Andrews wrote:On an ordinary day with a ceiling of 4000 feet, could one fly to West Towers and back with the topless guys?
Yup, it's possible because I did it before when I had my Falcon 1 195. I had to use a lot of the splines on the way back for lift. But, I did make it to West Towers and back to the regular Kagel LZ.
Steve90266

I'm in as my skills develop.

Post by Steve90266 »

Guys, since I own a Falcon 3, I love this idea. Count me in. I especially like the idea of walking the emergency LZs. As my skills develop, I'm right there with you. Unfortunately, I'm sill a lowly H2 looking for airtime amidst a busy life (whine, whine, whine).

My primary ambition is to develop cross country skills and "fly far, fly safe". Anyway, I love the idea and the challenge of it. Like I said, count me in.

Steve Murillo
Steve Murillo
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

First adventure on December 6

Post by Ken Andrews »

Let's aim for the first Falcon league adventure on Saturday, December 6, since many of us have conflicting plans for Thanksgiving weekend. December 6 is also the day of the SHGA Christmas party, so we'll keep our aspirations modest this time.

Weather permitting, I'll suggest that we meet in the LZ at 10:00 and visit a couple emergency LZs. This will include the base of the dam, and others as determined by vote. We then fly our Falcons to our hearts' content, and land at the base of the dam. Note that it's a bit of a hike out from there, so be prepared.

Between now and then, here a little preparation you might consider.
  • * Find your Falcon, and dust it off. Mine is short-packed and under my sofa, so there's a little work ahead. Jay's is brand new and shiny, so we'll all be jealous.

* Look over the list of emergency LZs that I just updated at the bottom of: http://www.shga.com/dangeroussiteinfo.asp. Let me know which you would most like to visit, and of course, please point out any errors or omissions.

* Program the LZs and a Falcon polar into your 5030. Wills Wing claims 215 fpm @ 19 mph, and 530 fpm @ 34 mph, but I don't believe it. http://www.willswing.com/Articles/Artic ... =PolarData

* Make sure you can fly with glider bags and any other cross-country gear.

* Polish up your 2-meter radio.
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

I volunteered to help set up for the xmas party which means I have to be there by 4:30. Think we'll be done by then? I'd like to have time to go home and shower but maybe someone can just hose me down instead.
Don

Interested - BUT ...

Post by Don »

I'm interested in participating but I need to be in the L.A. Harbor area at 4:30 on Sat 12/6 so participating is a No Go for me this time. :?
JD

Post by JD »

Saturday is looking like a NE day. What's the plan, Ken?
stebbins

Re: First adventure on December 6

Post by stebbins »

Ken Andrews wrote:..... Wills Wing claims 215 fpm @ 19 mph, and 530 fpm @ 34 mph, but I don't believe it. http://www.willswing.com/Articles/Artic ... =PolarData
You just don't weigh enough Ken! ;-)

(Seriously, is that for a Falcon 1, 2 or 3?)

I'd love to come out and walk the LZs with you all and do the Falcon thing, but I cannot this weekend. If it gets shifted back due to NE winds, please let me know!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Falcon league on December 6

Post by Ken Andrews »

I think we should go ahead anyway, and meet at 10:00 Saturday morning. If it turns flyable by any chance, we win. If it doesn't, visiting emergency LZs is still a pretty good use of an unflyable Saturday morning. Supposing it is unflyable, then there's certainly no conflict with set-up for the Christmas party.

As a non-XC event this time, all pilots are welcome, independent of wing and rating!
JD

Re: Falcon league on December 6

Post by JD »

Ken Andrews wrote:..........As a non-XC event this time, all pilots are welcome, independent of wing and rating!
having never walked any of the bail-out LZs this is a great idea. I have a really bad cold right now and doubt I'll have the energy to drive the 300 miles to borrow and return Knunb Knutz' Falcon 3 195. I could always ask Greblo if he has a rental available, assuming I get over this cold in time.
Jonathan
Tom C

Re: Falcon league on December 6

Post by Tom C »

Ken Andrews wrote:As a non-XC event this time, all pilots are welcome, independent of wing and rating!
I'm a long way from joining you on the XC adventures, but I'd love to join you in walking the LZs Saturday morning.
Tom
Malury

Post by Malury »

This can be very valuable training. 3 years ago I walked and then landed in the Dam LZ. 5 months ago I got too low and absolutly needed to land there. I knew where to go and what to do and landed there safely. I am all for more exploring alternate LZ's. See you in the morning.
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

I'll be there too. I'm curious to see what olive view and the beehives look like post-fires.