Director's at Large

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Joseph

Director's at Large

Post by Joseph »

It is very good to see so many members interested in helping the club by volunteering to work on the board. Unfortunately not everyone can be on the board. I never thought I would be saying those words. Though all of the members that have had their hat thrown in would be welcome additions, I do have a few members which I know have particular interests and goals for being on the board:

Rob Burgis - I think that the board should be representative of its membership. Rob is as you all know a very experienced pilot and would bring that experience as well as the voice of the hang 4s to the board.

Andy Beam: Andy has spoken with me about his goal of returning the L/Z to its former glory working with the Safety Director. While we have done a lot of work recently and there have been great improvements much more can still be accomplished.

BJ Strand: BJ is a new pilot and perhaps not everyone has met him. I think it is good to have new members on the board because they are our future. I have for some time believed that the Activities Director position carries too much responsibility. BJ has enthusiastically offered to work with the Activities Director to see that our events come off without a hitch. He also has equipment to make pancake breakfasts and being very fond of breakfast in general I can see the many advantages to BJ's involvement.

As a reminder, any member can help the club, you don't need to be on the board. For example, Jim Thompson’s work has been instrumental with the Gazebo project.

My thanks to everyone running for a board position. I think we have a lot to look forward to next year at the SHGA.
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

Joseph,
Thanks for the input and suggestions. I for one appreciate knowing some of the particular interests our nominees may have in regard to their role as a Director.
I would also say as a newer member that I was mostly concerned that we would not have sufficient pilots willing to be nominated when I accepted a nomination myself even though I am in Orange County. Seeing all the other pilots available I am planning to vote for them over myself.
Along with the great names you have shared I think Steve Murillo is another of the pilots nominated that would be a good advocate for SHGA.

Thanks again!
Bill
Joseph

Thanks to all the interested members

Post by Joseph »

Bill I was also concerned about participation and was am pleasantly surprised to see so many people interested. I had spoken directly to the nominees which I mentioned and new of their interests, but hope that my information does not discourage you or the other nominees. I know we all would like to see your participation and that of the other nominees and members.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

"It would be easier if I were a dictator"— George W. Bush

I am still in the running for Director at large. I was asked by two of the current board members if I would accept the nomination and I agreed. My new girl friend whom I spend a lot of time with nowadays seems hesitant but supportive of the idea. I ran for president a few years ago with the “Pilot Expansionist Party� but didn't get on the ballot in time. I did sit in on a number of board meetings back then. Some people in the lz still refer to me as president. I usually fly every weekend or 2 times a week so I'm out at Kagel a lot. My goal was and is to continue the Permit and Gazebo process. My opinion is to use “Critical Path Management� to help push the process continually without allowing it to “stall�. I support Joseph fully and believe he has done an exemplary job as president. I read there was some kind of clash on the board which paired “persistence� against “foot dragging and due diligence�. A salesman personality that needs a product available in order to make a sale verses a lawyer getting paid by the hour regardless, may have created a conflict. I'm sorry to not see Larry running this year. He has lent major accomplishments to the club. Just look at the signed launch permits with the Forrest service. His service on the board brought it from bankrupt to prosperity. My other goals is for the club to run more cost efficiently providing better service to the members for the same or less cost using ideas and input from any member that will give it. We recently learned we can use less water if we have more topsoil or add compost. The board running the storage could save money too.

There are many good choices to vote for. Rob is an award winning pilot, Bj has photographic proof that Big Sur is soarable, Andy is the best spot lander I have ever seen. Steve runs his own business, is confident and outgoing and would be a good president (someday). Dan, he used to fly hang gliders, I think he flies other devices today. You don't need to vote for him because he will be appointed anyway for his hard work at doing the paperwork that keeps us from being padlocked and auctioned off.
If I am not elected I would be fine with that also. Since February I have accumulated around 45 hours of airtime and I am fine with flying the Dahlston cup rather than measuring spot landings. I love flying and either way I will continue to help the club with volunteer work and new ideas. I one day believe with the new power sources being developed hang gliders will permeate society in large numbers. I will work hard to protect and advance the silent soaring freedom we have here at Sylmar - The worlds capital of Hang Gliding.

Doug Martens
Oh and if I am elected I promise to get the three-wheeled riding mower fixed.
Two have tried, two have failed.
Steve90266

Thanks for the kind words, Doug

Post by Steve90266 »

I did not get elected to the Board as you know, but it was an honor to have been nominated. I share your sentiments - I'll try to help the club as best I can with the time that I can give. I need to bag way more hours. See you on the mountain!
Steve Murillo