Why We All Should Be Behind the Gazebo Project

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Joseph

Why We All Should Be Behind the Gazebo Project

Post by Joseph »

For a number of years, the club has operated under the assumption that our use of our land as a hang gliding L/Z was not valid and that we needed a Conditional Use Permit. That was our initial track on the Gazebo project and our initial efforts seemed to confirm this requirement. We therefore brought in Robert Fedor to expedite what we expected to be long process. However shortly after Roberts' involvement we began hearing that our use was valid and that we did not need a CUP.

This is great news but it is not the real story. The situation we are in is similar to someone being told their check is in the mail. Until you have the check, it is not very smart to believe that you have received anything. The receipt of the check legitimizes the transaction because in most cases the person will not pay a charge they believe is invalid.

The successful permitting and construction of this Gazebo proves we have valid use of our land because it is impossible to obtain permit without a valid use. Constructing the permitted facility is objective factual proof of our valid use.

I cannot emphasize enough, how important this construction is to the club if for nothing else than this sole purpose.

I also want to make something very clear. The club overwhelmingly voted to construct this particular plan of the gazebo. During construction we will be very careful to protect the Wisteria, consider budget concerns, and be sensitive to members’ requests, but it will be built, the members voted for it.

For whatever reason in this world it is easy to destroy, to complain, to point out faults and failures. It is very, very hard to do anything constructive. So every last one of us needs to take off our hat to the Gazebo Committee and those that help them to our benefit. I would ask that if you have concerns that you also volunteer to solve the problem you have identified.

Finally, not much information has been put out about progress. More information will be available within the next 4 weeks. The reason for this is that until we have a permit despite all the hard work that the Gazebo Committee has put in we cannot really clearly know what is going to happen.
Last edited by Joseph on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don

Full Support

Post by Don »

Months ago I voted for what turned out to be the winning design and I still think that was/is the best design. I fully support your efforts and appreciate all the hard work that must have been made by many people to get to this point.

Don't turn back, keep moving forward.

Don
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I think it's damn exciting! I'm behind it 100% So that pretty much settles it for everyone right. To infinity and beyond.
Flyyyyy
Frederick

Go forth!

Post by Frederick »

The gazebo is still a great idea. Extra glider storage will be great, too.

I'm most interested in this benefit:
Giving our club more permanence on the land, and having a nicer place for folks who are visiting. I think we need all the support we can possibly get, and then some, as an urban flight park on an approach path to a major airport.
Steve90266

Behind the Gazebo 100%

Post by Steve90266 »

I can't think of a reason NOT to be behind the Gazebo project. All Sylmar pilots should be united on this. I am relatively new to the club and do not know all the in's and out's, the history of this project. I am certain that there were some disagreements along the way, because that is the nature of any project of this magnitude, especially when it is being planned by an organization if volunteers. Toes are bound to get stepped on, people's time spent needlessly, etc.

That being said, I would ask that those sitting on the sidelines or who for one reason or another have turned away from the project please reconsider. The club needs your support at this juncture more than ever.

The new gazebo will solidify our real estate position in Sylmar, and help to ensure we will not experience the same sort of eviction that happened to the Lake Elsinore club. LET'S GET BEHIND THE GAZEBO!!
Steve Murillo
Rome Dodson

GAZEBO

Post by Rome Dodson »

it may be 1 year without shade in 105 heat, how about cutting our shade structure roof in half and moving it over between the 2 containers?????????
greblo

Post by greblo »

The plans are in the hands of the Structural Engineer right now. Once he's gone through them, he'll give them back to Hiro, our architect. Hiro will then draw up the construction plans. With construction plans, we will be able develop a more accurate time table. Our consultant is ready to submit the plans to Building and Safety when they're ready.