Falcon League

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Falcon League

Post by Ken Andrews »

January 31 is a Falcon League Saturday! For the fourth time in a row, it's unclear if it will be flyable, but I think we might as well be optimistic. It could be the fourth time in a row that we get lucky.

As a tentative plan, I'll suggest that we meet in the Sylmar LZ at 10:00. We'll load gliders, and visit the Big T wash and the emergency LZ at Deukmejian Park. Supposing there's any chance of flying, we'll pass by the Angeles Crest ranger station around 12:00 and be on top of Mount Lukens about 12:45. We'll then aim to fly home to Sylmar.

Those who want a preview of these bailout LZs can find a little information at http://www.shga.com/dangeroussiteinfo.asp
JD

Post by JD »

Sounds like fun! I hope it's soarable enough for my fat butt on my little Falcon.
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

damn. i'm up north this weekend. have fun.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Works for me.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
Malury

Post by Malury »

Count me in too! See you at 10 am.
JD

Post by JD »

Great day! My first real XC flight. About half of us made it to Kagel LZ. http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/159214
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Falcon League on February 28

Post by Ken Andrews »

I think the Falcon League should plan on flying this Saturday! This announcement is kind of late since the weather forecast is ambiguous yet again. Weather Underground is forecasting NW at 0 MPH which probably means Kagel is launchable, but that could change by Saturday. Here are three suggestions, and I'm interested in hearing opinions:

1. Launch Kagel and fly open distance to the East. This means that nearly everyone would be landing out, at Beehives or Dino's Plateau or the Big T wash or Deukmejian Park or beyond...

2. Launch Lukens and fly home to Sylmar, or land out trying.

3. Launch Towers for variety and fly wherever.

The last two require H-4 or H-3 with appropriate instructor signoff. There will likely be enough cloud cover that conditions won't be great, so factor that in as you choose.

In any case, we probably meet in the LZ at 11:00 and go to our launch of choice.
JD

Re: Falcon League on February 28

Post by JD »

Ken Andrews wrote:................3. Launch Towers for variety and fly wherever.
Ken - I kind of like this option but I prefer to be considerate of any H-3s who wish to join us but don't have a sign-off for Towers. In that case I'd like to fly from Lukens again but make it open distance to the West.
Thanks,
Jonathan
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

With a southeast wind prediction I'm thinking it would be better going west. So maybe Kagel or towers toward west towers. But I'm up for anything. See you saturday.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I'm tentatively in. I've got family stuff, but I think I can move it to Sunday.

I'd like to go from Lukens to Kagel (and try for West Towers too!)

On the other hand, I have a thought. My read (as of yesterday) of the weather is that Crestline will be better. So, Crestline -> Devore -> Marshall ->Crestline? Lots of LZs on that route. Just don't land going South (downhill) in most of them. ;-)

BTW, if we do fly Lukens and you guys go look at the LZs, what time should I be at the Ranger Station gate?
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
max

Post by max »

Count me in, I wouldn't mind launching Lukens and now I have to go and dust off mine falcon.
Smile now Cry later
MAX
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Falcon League on February 28

Post by Ken Andrews »

I think the call is Mount Lukens on Saturday.

The current weather forecast says the wind will be East at 5 MPH tomorrow. This means launching at Kagel or Towers is uncertain, while Lukens will probably work. It also implies a tailwind for flying west to Sylmar (or beyond). I've arranged to borrow the necessary keys from Joe Greblo, and we have Erwin as our driver.

We'll meet in the Sylmar LZ at 11:00 to load gliders and gear. All going well, we will be at the Angeles Crest Ranger Station between 11:30 and 11:45, so other vehicles could meet us there.
Don

Post by Don »

I'll be there.

If needed my truck can be used.
JD

Post by JD »

Here's hoping that everyone makes it from Lukens to Kagel and points beyond! See you in the LZ at 11.
JD

Post by JD »

Ken,

I'm bringing a guest. An H-4 pilot to whom I will give a tour of the important LZs this morning. We'll still meet at Kagel LZ at 11AM

Jonathan
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Please give the tour before meeting at 11. There is only one key to the gate, so if you are late to the ranger station, you either miss it or make others late. Most likely, you miss it.

If that was already your plan, then I apologize.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

BTW, in case nobody could tell from my previous post, I'm coming out. I will meet Jim Mercadante in the LZ at 10 (not 11) and we are going to look at the Deukmejian (sp?) Park LZ before going to the ranger station to meet with the rest of you.

Cheers!
JD

Post by JD »

stebbins wrote:BTW, in case nobody could tell from my previous post, I'm coming out. I will meet Jim Mercadante in the LZ at 10 (not 11) and we are going to look at the Deukmejian (sp?) Park LZ before going to the ranger station to meet with the rest of you.

Cheers!
My guest, Jason from Garden Grove, and I will be coming in from Long Beach shortly after 9 AM. I plan to stop at Deukmejian Park and then the wash before proceeding to Kagel LZ. Worst case is we meet everyone at the ranger station in time to drive up. Hopefully, there will be room for our two gliders on the vehicles going up. So, please expect me and one guest.

Thanks, Jonathan
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Thanks, Jonathan!

I'd offer you (and guest) a ride, but I'm full already. :-(

Good luck, and see you in the sky!
JD

Post by JD »

stebbins wrote:................Good luck, and see you in the sky!
Here's a quick highlight from today's flight........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-ipUuo0UE[/youtube] Flight Track