1st Annual Jeff Craig Memorial Garlock Summer XC Flight

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Don

1st Annual Jeff Craig Memorial Garlock Summer XC Flight

Post by Don »

In memory of Jeff Craig and the fact that we like Garlock in the summer, a few of us are planning on flying Garlock this summer. Jeff often said that some of his most enjoyable flights were his two XC flights from Garlock. The fact that he made goal both times probably added to his sense of enjoyment (especially since I did NOT made goal the second trip :? )

A little History:
On July 4, 2007 at least 10 of us (I may have forgotten a few) launched Garlock with the goal of flying East to the Pinnacles turn-off - a distance of 32 miles. Jeff Craig, Joe Greblo, Lauren Meck, and myself made goal. Eric Brown, Richard (wrong direction :o ) Shaw, Kris Greblo, Hiro Matsunaga, B.J. Strand, and Joseph Vandertol joined the adventure. It was 115 degrees when we landed.

On September 2, 2007 12 of us (I have the complete list and verified it with others) launched Garlock with the goal of flying East to the Trona Airport - a distance of 40 miles. Jeff Craig, Joe Greblo, Richard (correct direction :D )Shaw Ken Andrews, and Max Wagner made goal. Fredrick Wagner, Eric Brown, Tom Shaffer, Seth Presley, Malury Silberman, Kris Greblo, and myself joined the adventure. It was 110+ degrees in Trona.

DISCLAIMER

No one is "organizing" this trip - it is simply a group of us that will fly. This is NOT a training flight, nor is it a Student trip. We intend to pool our knowledge and make a decision to fly that day.

Garlock is a desert site and during the summer you can expect it to be turbulent. A mid-hour H3 should be the minimum experience level to even consider joining the group.

The Plan

The trip will take place on a Saturday in June, July or August. We will pick a date based upon the weather conditions (rather than picking a date and hoping the weather is good). Therefore a tentative decision regarding the exact date will not be made until the preceeding Thursday PM at the earliest.

If you are qualified and interested in joining the group you need to do the following: Keep your eye on the SHGA Forum - someone will post an update when the weather looks promising. The Forum posts will provide you with all the information you need. If you want "personalized" information, someone will send an email to those that have expressed an interest in joining us. So if you are interested send me you contact information. No one will making phone calls - that is simply too time consuming.

Anticipating the "usual" time sequence - we will meet in the SHGA L/Z about 7AM, load up the vehicle(s), stop in Mojave for a junk food breakfast, then head directly to launch. You can plan on returning to the SHGA L/Z well past dark.
Last edited by Don on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Count me in. Falcon I assume.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
Don

Glider

Post by Don »

In the past we have had everything from Falcons to U2s. Quite a few flew with Sport 2s or similar.
JD

Post by JD »

I'm game too. Great idea! Thank you for initiating it, Don.
Rome Dodson

garlock history

Post by Rome Dodson »

the 2nd week garlock was flown, i flew north, got over big mtn. to north got high? flew west across owens, then north . it was raining to my right, left and behind me . i was flying in the last patch of sunshine, moving to the north, about 12,000ft. all of a sudden my vario pegged down, i thought my battery died. then i realized i had lost much altitude. i just clearer the foothills, be 50 ft. making it to 395.almost out of control i came down over the highway, hoping some cars would see me,(probably crash land) . at the last minute i slid to the west side of 395, and landed in a 35 mph north wind, i droped straight down and lunged on my front wires. thankfully 2 cars stopped and held kite while i broke down, thunder and lightening all around!i was at little lake,(hotel now burned and torn down )ROME