R/C Glider @ 392MPH "Dynamic Soaring"

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

OP

R/C Glider @ 392MPH "Dynamic Soaring"

Post by OP »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQB16ZaNI4[/youtube]

Also a flash video explaining how "dynamic soaring" works. Click the glider on the bottom left of the screen.
http://www.billpattersonart.com/dszone.swf
JD

Re: R/C Glider @ 392MPH "Dynamic Soaring"

Post by JD »

OP- Thanks for posting this. It was very enjoyable along with the excellent Flash presentation. My late friend and former F3B pilot, Stan Watson would have really enjoyed this.
Cheers, Jonathan
abinder

Post by abinder »

I laughed when I saw this in the news the other day. It was being treated like it was something new. People have been getting speeds like this with their R/C gliders for several years now.
OP

Post by OP »

abinder wrote:I laughed when I saw this in the news the other day. It was being treated like it was something new. People have been getting speeds like this with their R/C gliders for several years now.
Not even close to 390+ mph. Just last year the record was 240mph.
abinder

Post by abinder »

OP wrote:Not even close to 390+ mph. Just last year the record was 240mph.
One thing you have to realize, was the radar gun calibrated? Radar guns have been known to be inaccurate unless they are used properly and it has a lot to do with the angle that you're taking the reading. Also, what part of the eliptical path that the reading is being taken. There's even been instances where radar guns have been pointed at a stationary object and reported that the object was moving > 100mph.