DANNY BLACK

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Rome Dodson

DANNY BLACK

Post by Rome Dodson »

danny is now in oxnard,he lost periferal vision in r. eye,walks a lot,remembers people good, still combative at times so taking haldon at pm. wheel chairs around a lot, needs safty help walking. i'll post location imfo soon. rome
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Danny's wife Lea sends her regards, and says he will be excited to see his flying buddies. However, the facility won't allow a visit if they don't have your name on a list, so you need to contact her in advance of your visit. Lea's email is: oliviadesigns@ca.rr.com.

Danny is located at:

CareMeridian Neuro
1540 Teal Club Rd
Oxnard, 93030
805-382-1921

http://www.caremeridian.com/locations/california/oxnard

Lea says: Positive reinforcement [on being cooperative] is definitely needed [by Danny] at this time in his life. [Once you are on the list] do call before going - to find out what Danny's schedule is for the day. He could be in therapy, or had a bad night and napping, etc. Danny is doing better because he is not quite as combative as earlier in the month... you might walk with him as he wheels himself around in the wheelchair and/or walk with him (safety belt wise), usually with an aid around. Just remind him to slow down because he will be very excited to see you.

Lea says Danny respects his flying buddies, and is more likely to follow our advice to be cooperative if he could understand that it was the only way out of being institutionalized. So help a buddy out, and visit him with words of advice.

Directions:
Exit off the 101 at E Vineyard Ave, go south across the overpass;
After 0.3 miles veer left and continue south on N Oxnard Blvd for 1.7 miles;
Turn right at W 2nd St for 1.0 mi;
2nd turns into Teal Club Rd when it crosses Ventura Rd at the edge of the airport;
1540 Teal Club Rd is immediately on the left.
The drive requires 1 hour from Sylmar via the 118.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Yesterday I visited Danny at his nice facility.

My good news is that he seems comfortable and well cared for in a nice facility. Danny was responsive to my suggestions that he cooperate with his nurses and doctors, and we had light conversation regarding irrelevant things.

The bad news is Danny is no better than last month. His 30 July accident four months ago caused severe brain trauma, and I am becoming less confident of his chances for improvement. His cognitive skills are limited to casual light conversation, and his physical limitations significant. He may require meds to keep from becoming agitated, and he certainly requires 24/7 care to attend to his needs and keep him out of trouble. He is not the Danny we used to fly with. Nevertheless, he enjoys and benefits from our visits.

Sorry for the sad news. Fly high, fly safe.