LZ Washed Out!

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

greblo

LZ Washed Out!

Post by greblo »

Fearing massive rains today and tomorrow, the county has begun releasing 600 cubic feet per second of water from the dam. The water has breached it's banks and ravaged our H2 and H3 landing area. At this time, no one knows how long until we get it repaired. In the meantime, I'm sure the site will be closed to at least H2's and 3's for obvious safety reasons.

I took some photos this morning and will ask someone who knows how to get them on this post.

[/img]
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Joe Greblo's photos

Post by Ken Andrews »

Here are the photos that Joe Greblo took this morning.

addicted2climbing

Argh... This is dissheartening to see and must be even more so to Joe ad all those who put so much hard work in rebuilding it last year... Moving forward can it be rebuilt with some Corrugated Steel Pipes in the ramp to allow the water to pass through? Has it not been done in the past due to needing permission for that sort of thing?

Marc
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

From what I can see in the photos there is still some water flowing in the original channel and the vegetation covering last years mud flow on the far bank is still intact - Both good signs, so far.
Steve90266

LZ Washed out!

Post by Steve90266 »

Well, OK, a PORTION of the LZ has been washed out. But it's Wednesday morning and the sun is already beginning to poke its pretty head out here in Manhattan Beach. I predict blue skies for flying on Friday, Christmas Eve. Can I get and AMEN?!
Steve Murillo
noack

Post by noack »

AMEN brother

Sun pokin its head here in santa monica as well!!!!!!! Why wait till Friday???
greblo

Post by greblo »

I expect the club officers will have to close the Kagel lz to most, if not all pilots until we can do something to make it safer to land. It's very clear to me that I can't safely teach there until the water stops and something is done to fill in the 5 ft. deep ravines.

In the meantime, I need to do something to keep the Hang 2's flying. I'm hoping to take a group of student to Marshall on this coming Sunday and would love to see lots of Kagel pilots join in. If you're a Hang 3, you meet their clubs requirements. If you're a hang 2, you need to already have been signed off there, or join in a training class like this one. It's a pretty good site, so email me if you're interested.
Michael Robertson
JD

Post by JD »

greblo wrote:I expect the club officers will have to close the Kagel lz to most, if not all pilots until we can do something to make it safer to land.........
Gosh, I was hoping to launch from Towers Thursday. The forecast looks very good and I have no issues landing on our island. I can always deploy my drogue for more precise glide path control. Winds are expected to be very light too.
Steve90266

All Washed Up

Post by Steve90266 »

Joe, if my wife gives me a pass on Sunday, I'm with you. What time should we meet at the Kagel LZ?
Steve Murillo
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discove ... -video.htm

I was looking into technological ways to rapidly plug the levee failure.

The last time Chippy tried a railroad tie. Maybe a metal rod pounded into the ground and braced would allow some wood to hold it back long enough to stack some rocks. Those original attempts failed but the main channel was clogged back then.
noack

Post by noack »

OK Joe :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just crush my dreams of flying, and of coarse I cant fly on Sunday.

If I cant fly I might as well work.

When is the work party :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
noack

Post by noack »

OK Joe :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just crush my dreams of flying, and of coarse I cant fly on Sunday.

If I cant fly I might as well work.

When is the work party :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
greblo

Post by greblo »

Matt,
I'm sorry, we'll miss you if we get to fly on Sunday.
I'll take some current photos today, of the wash, and get them to somebody that knows how to post them on this site. That should give us an idea of where to begin.
Michael Robertson
addicted2climbing

Hey Joe,

Unfortunatley family holiday stuff will keep me from heading to Marshal with everyone and Im working between the holidays which makes it hard too. However, I'm with Matt if you need help let me know and i might be able to get out of work early one day and help with the repair.

Oh and looks like the Big "O' Loop was torn apart by rain as well.. :(

Happy Hollidays everyone...

Marc
noack

Post by noack »

No need to be sorry Joe. Its outstanding people like you, who keep stupid people like me, from doing stupid things. I really didnt feel like slamming into a five foot berm anyway :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

Well, my plans for a solid week of flying while I'm in town have been blown out by water. I hope to at least get a taste on Sunday.
Tom
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I'm heading out there to see if any work party is forming. Extra shoes pants work gloves plywood sand bags human ingenuity. etc.
Don

AJ LZ

Post by Don »

Joe,

If you haven't already - you may want to talk to someone about Andy Jackson. I saw on the News that UCSB received something like 15" of rain.
JD

Post by JD »

AJX LZ Access road has erosion issues: http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20101223/3886