Fort Funston on Memorial Day WE! No more La Salina

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Xander

Post by Xander »

Definitely sharp. I bought this one > http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/weno ... ip-reviews

It makes me feel like a badass. Everytime I hold it, I inexplicably turn into Samuel L. Jackson. Hollywood Divers sells this model.
Steve90266

Ft Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

At this point, if you don't have a sticker, don't sweat it till we get there.
Steve Murillo
ajnanyc

Post by ajnanyc »

Is there still room on board the Friday truck for 1 pilot + glider?
Steve90266

Ft. Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

You bet. Who's this?

Steve M.
Steve Murillo
Steve90266

Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

Sony, you're on the Friday morning truck! We'll see you at 7 AM sharp! it's going to be you, me, Mike Ivey, and Orion. We are the Away Team!
Steve Murillo
jdevorak

utterably forgetable

Post by jdevorak »

I still plan on going. Phil Bloom is a possible
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
Steve90266

Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

Max is probably in as well. Depends on the weather. If yes on Max, we will revise our meet time at the LZ from 7 AM to 8:30 AM, so Max can take his daughter to school.

Everybody... BRING A SLEEPING BAG! Among other things. Let's try to travel very light.

Looking forward to some outstanding soaring!!
Steve Murillo
max

Post by max »

The weather forecast for this upcoming weekend doesn't look good for the Bay Area for Saturday and Sunday Winds gusts anywhere from 30 miles to 60 miles an hour, pretty much the same think for Owens Valley and Jean ridge.Marina could work even though the Wind direction is not quite Favorable NW. if anybody else sees a different weather forecast please let us know we still have two today to observe :cry: Or if you can come up with some plan to go somewhere else where it might be flyable :o
Smile now Cry later
MAX
Steve90266

Ft Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

Max, this is bad news, but it is what it is. Thanks for the report. We'll have to keep an eye on the weather and make the call around mid-day tomorrow.

Since we are prepared to drive, what about Kingman, Arizona? There's another place in Arizona we could drive to. I'll get some alternates from Joe Greblo today.

Anybody else with an idea? I'm open to suggestions.
Steve Murillo
MikeI

Post by MikeI »

Steve, (assuming we go to Funston) do we need tents for camping too, or is this just a 'couch camping' type of situation? Also, I've got an inflatable mattress I can bring.

Can anyone confirm if we will be able to pick up a dive knife to fly with temporarily while we are there? I have a hook knife, but don't have anything else besides a pocket knife at the moment.

Mike
Steve D

Post by Steve D »

You dont need a dive knife to fly the Fort.
OP

Post by OP »

Still to early to call:

Acording to Windfinder: Both Sat and Sun are soarable
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/fort_funston_no_pg

Acording to many prediction models available here: it will be flyable:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/SpotI ... potid=2206
Xander

Post by Xander »

I asked Steve Rodrigues, a site veteran, for his opinion regarding the soaring forecast for Funston this weekend, and he just got back to me with this:

"My take IF you can trust the forecast at this point:
Saturday direction looks good, good velocity by mid-day, could be too strong by late afternoon.
Sunday velocity good but direction looks a bit cross from the north, could be bush rotor in LZ. (might be a good day for Marina!)
Monday looks straight in and nice for the afternoon."

BJ Strand and I flew there last August. Wind was W at 25, and we were able to launch without issue, and soar all the way from Mussel Rock to the North End Gap.
Based on current information, I say we green light this beyatch. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

-Alex
Steve90266

Ft. Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

Sounds great, Alex. I'm with you. Let's take one last gander at the weather tomorrow in the afternoon, just to be sure. Looking forward to it!
Steve Murillo
ajnanyc

Post by ajnanyc »

Hi guys,

What about Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County? I know there was some mention earlier about this site...

Are we still meeting at 7am in the LZ or later?
Xander

Post by Xander »

Sony -
I sent an email to Marin County Hang Gliding Association to explain that we were visiting the area to fly Fort Funston, and we may be interested in flying Mt Tam.
I asked if it would be possible for us to fly Mt. Tam this coming Sunday (considering the short notice), and if so, what actions are required for us to make that happen.

Theoretically, we could fly Mt. Tam on Sunday morning, and then head down to the Fort to fly more. I'll let you know how they respond.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

follow the link posted above by the guy from funston. (sorry, forgot his name and too lazy to look, since i can no longer afford to go...) there's a really nice guy from mt. tam. i already talked to him. he's the first dude listed. he'll hook you up, just call the day before... i hate you all. :D
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
ajnanyc

Post by ajnanyc »

Sounds good Alex. If you don't receive a reply in time, there's a list of club officers and pilots with their phone numbers listed here - www.mchga.org/pilots.shtml

Steve, please confirm what time you'll be meeting up at the LZ. 7 or 8:30am?
Steve90266

Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

On the road to Marina Beach. We sbould be there by 2. I just heard a good one from the gallery:

Q: what's the hardest thing about being a paraglider pilot?

A: Telling your parents you're gay.
Steve Murillo
OP

Post by OP »

We ran out of gas after flying.

Before that everything was good.