Fort Funston on Memorial Day WE! No more La Salina

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Steve90266

Fort Funston on Memorial Day WE! No more La Salina

Post by Steve90266 »

Gang, we decided to scrap the La Salina trip when we found out that they check you at the border for fire arms. And if you don't have any, they issue them to you!

Anyway, the collective unconscious of our club decided that Fort Funston would be a better trip. We'd leave probably Thurs morning, fly Friday and Saturday, come home Sunday.

That's the general plan anyway. Please indicate your interest here. So far we have

1. Orion
2. Alex W.
3. Janice
4. Mike Ivey
5. Steve Murillo

Please ad your name to the list by posting here. H-3s and up. Thanks!
Steve Murillo
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

6. Jay Devorak
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
OP

Post by OP »

OP

Post by OP »

Malury

Post by Malury »

Sounds like fun! Put me down as "Tentative". I'm not sure of my schedule yet.
Cyndia

Funston

Post by Cyndia »

Erika and I are tentative - she'll fly, I'll drive :)
We'll know more toward the beginning of May. :D
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

Is this still happening? I'm going to be in the bay area that weekend and if someone could bring my glider I'd love to fly with y'all.
Steve90266

Ft Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

Hey Eric,

You betcha! Funston is still ON!! We'll do our best to work out bringing your glider up. First we need to get a final head count and figure out how many vehicles we are taking. Once we know that, we'll know if we will have the room. We'll do our best.

Steve
Steve Murillo
Steve D

Funston

Post by Steve D »

Hope you guys can make it up here for some FUN-ston.

Ya'll might want to get your stickers by mail first.

http://www.flyfunston.org/newwebcam/

Look forward to meeting you all.

Steve

PS you might want to fly Mt Tam as well
http://www.mchga.org/
jcflies

IS ANYONE DRIVING UP FRIDAY NIGHT?

Post by jcflies »

F&*^! Just found out that i absolutely MUST work friday. i have sat, sun and monday off. will GLADLY help with gas, etc., but i can not leave until 3 pm on friday. ARGHHHHHHH!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Steve90266

Ft. Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

Steve and Alex,

Joey and I are planning on going to Funston Memorial Day weekend. Please include us in your head count. He will be flying and I will be exploring the area and taking pictures. Since I can't get off work early on Friday, we will either be up late Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Joey has already mailed in for his Funston sticker. Hopefully, he will get it in the mail before we leave.

We are planning on taking Alex up on his generous offer and stay at his folks' house. We will need directions or an address.

Keep in touch!

Julieann

PS - Joey may need a ride for his glider if we can't get the rack thing worked out. Donny let me borrow his for the past year and a half and wants it back so Joey has to build one for my SUV.
Last edited by Steve90266 on Fri May 20, 2011 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Murillo
Xander

Post by Xander »

I invite all Sylmartians to stay at my parent's condo in Walnut Creek on Saturday and Sunday night during Memorial Day weekend. I am playing golf with friends on Friday afternoon, so I won't be joining the group until Saturday morning at Funston.

Details:
The condo will sleep 4 in the bedrooms, 2 on airbeds, and 1 on the couch. Any remaining floor space is open to those who wish to bring a sleeping bag and save $200 on lodging expense.
It is a gated retirement community on a golf course in the hills, so we don't have to worry about leaving the gliders on the vehicles overnight. Nobody around will have the strength (much less the inclination) to steal our gear.
I imagine that all interested parties will just head there together from Funston on Saturday/Sunday evening once we've had our air time and dinner. Please let me know if you're in, because my folks will need to provide a guest list to the security guard before we arrive.
Address:
2801 Ptarmigan Dr #3
Walnut Creek, CA 94595

Onward to Funston 8)

-Alex
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

WU-HU! I'm in! Let's all fly Mt. Tam, too! It's a very pretty flight!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
OP

Post by OP »

Steve90266

Ft. Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

That's some bad-ass photo shopped weather, there, OP. Alright, here's the dealio:

Me, Mike Ivey, and Orion are meeting on Friday morning at 7AM sharp to begin this adventure. We will be taking Alex's glider with us. We have room for one more pilot in my trusty IH Scout II. We will be heading for Marina Beach, which is just outside Salinas, CA. That night, we will crash with my sister's house in Salinas.

Next morning, we'll head out to Ft. Funston. I reckon we'll be seeing the rest of you there around 1 or 2PM. Take my cell number in case you get lost or something changes. 310-266-4154.

Alex will arrive Saturday and usher us to his parent's home that evening. Once we get our gliders put away, we'll head out for some rabble rousing.

Sunday will be more of the same, although some of us may opt for trying our hand at Mt. Tam.

Monday we come home.

Looking forward to it!

P.S.-if for some odd reason the weather turns on us and Funston is no longer an option, we will decide on either A: Jeane, Nevada or B: The Owens Valley. We can cross that bridge on Wednesday evening.
Steve Murillo
Steve90266

Ft Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

So here's a revised list of the crew:

1. Orion
2. Alex Wright
3. Janice
4. Mike Ivey
5. Steve Murillo
6. Cyndia (possible)
7. Erika (possible)
8. Julieann
9. Joey

Who'd I miss?
Steve Murillo
Xander

Post by Xander »

barton wrote:
"you will need a DIVE KNIFE, as hook knives are not permitted.

in the event of a water landing and the need to cut through your sail to the to the air."

According to Barton's post from March 2010, pilots are required to fly with a dive knife at Fort Funston. Based on Barton's advice, I purchased a dive knife last year.
However, the published club rules make no mention of emergency procedures in the event of a water landing, nor do they specify that pilots are required to fly with special equipment. It did not seem like anyone was checking pilots for dive knives during my last two visits to Funston.

This post is intended as information only. . . for what it's worth in your decision. :)
OP

Post by OP »

Steve,

Sticker situation, what is the deal. Can I just pay and sign the waiver once we get there... Or is there something I should do before hand?
Xander

Post by Xander »

OP,
Thanks for posting the question. Steve Rogrigues is aware that our group is coming up to fly, so I am sure that he will be prepared for us with waivers and stickers. I plan to buy my 2011 sticker when I arrive on Saturday.

If you got da' huevos, he got da' waivuhs.
OP

Post by OP »

Which dive knife:

Blunt or Sharp:

ImageImage