Should the LZ phone be removed to save money?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Should the LZ phone be removed?

Yes
7%
No
93%

Total votes: 14

BudRob

Should the LZ phone be removed to save money?

Post by BudRob »

At our last board meeting, it was proposed that we remove the LZ phone to save $50 a month. Some believe that the cell phone service has improved enough that this phone has become as obsolete as the windtalker.

Since there are those who think this phone has value,this is a decision for the entire membership to make. Please let us know what you think. Is having the phone worth $50 per month?
Mike M
Site Admin

Post by Mike M »

On this particular issue I respectfully disagree with the proposal.

Even if cell phone service in the LZ had improved, and I don't find that to be true lately, the LZ phone provides an important service to the members.

1. It is a SINGLE, RELIABLE point of contact. That is, there is no ambiguity as to the location of where one is calling and there is a high probability of a successful connection to a real person. One only needs a single number to remember.

2. Following on (1) it provides an excellent backup in case ground crew are out of range.

3. In the event of an out landing, club members can be notified so no one is wondering as to the status of the pilot. This is independent of the status of his ground crew -- if any.

4. In the event of a family event or other urgent situation, friends and family can leave a message in the LZ or at least contact a number of people allowing the possibility of communication in the absence of a good accessible cell number.

5. What would Darryl's girlfriend call?

6. $50/month for a single land line???? That seems very high. I pay about half that for my land line.

Anyway, there are my thoughts.

Mike
Rome Dodson

PHONE

Post by Rome Dodson »

NO, IT'S OUR BEST RETREAVLE CONTACT. ROME
Bob Bendetson

Phone

Post by Bob Bendetson »

Lose it. We could use the extra money to buy Rome a dictionary.
JD

Post by JD »

The cell reception in the LZ is terrible and I invested my share of $ into the repeater. I rely heavily on the copper wire land line. I also want it kept free and free of needless calls from amorous suitors East of the Mississippi.

To that end I personally requested to Ann that she buy Darryl a cell phone. I vote that we collectively discourage her from using that line to call Darryl and all encourage her to buy him a pre-paid cell phone. It's like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". I have observed many members disregard the phone ringing as anything worth answering.
OP

Post by OP »

Agreed. The land phone is still important. And using as a personal line is unacceptable.

1 of two things.

Enable the *60 call block. After an unwanted call comes in, hang up then call *60 and follow the directions.

Buy Daryl a ghetto phone. Cricket, Boost, or Metro PCS, 35$/month unlimited incoming minutes, no contract.
Don

Phone

Post by Don »

I agree with the significant points other's have made.

As for Darrel and his love connection - let Darrel buy his own damn phone. If he doesn't want one - more power to him (we all would probably be happier without them most of the time). As for his "Love Squeeze" - I like the idea of blocking her number - get a hint and get a life!
OP

Re: Phone

Post by OP »

Don wrote:- let Darrel buy his own damn phone.
Agreed. That is what I meant to say. Daryl needs to save 2 drives up the hill / month for his own phone.

The other day I answered the phone with a greeting, to whom I thought was going to be Anne, as legal representative handling the sensitive PR issues Daryl has recently been experiencing. I think I confused the H2 who was simpling trying to find a ride up the hill.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Has anyone else noticed that the phone gets answered pretty quickly in the morning but that after around 3PM it gets ignored?

Anyway, shunning land-out calls aside, the cell connectivity is still too tenuous to depend on and one can never be sure that a specific user's phone is on or even present in the LZ. We need a hard line for incoming calls. Use should be voluntarily limited to a few minutes at most to accommodate emergencies, even minor ones, such as Big-T retrievals.

Double D can ask his betrothed to call after dark.
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Hi Guys,

Mike here (English guy, new H2). How about having the phone company install a line at the new gazebo? $15/month for basic service

Or even better, get an internet line for a bit more (so we can have wifi) and a phone number for around $40 a year from Skype, and an internet phone to go with it for around $75. It's actually not that technically hard, and you'll have saved what you put in, in only a few months, and we'll have wi-fi too.

Of course, if we can't get a line into the gazebo then just ignore everything I just said :)
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

We might be able to set up the phone as incoming calls only with only a 911 outgoing call ability for about $17 a month.

Also it might be possible to shut it off completely and still receive calls, and use google voice to place calls on that shut off line.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

my best friend just SERIOUSLY blew his landing and my cell battery is dead. i'm the only person in the L/Z. WTF do i do now? HELLO! it's hang gliding! how can we even be QUESTIONING the issue of $50 / month?

this is a joke, right?
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

and, for that matter, where is the direct line number that the sheriff gave us on the day that erik l. made his sacrifice to the wind gods? it begins with 818 and, according to the sheriff, is about 40 minutes faster than calling 911. someone had posted it near the phone, but it's no longer there... i THINK it's 818 734-2209, but don't want to call to verify. does anyone know????
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
JD

Post by JD »

jcflies wrote:and, for that matter, where is the direct line number that the sheriff gave us......
Good call Janyce!

(FIRE & PARAMEDIC emergencies only), call 1-800-688-8000

For CELL PHONES Only 911 LAPD Dispatch - 818-734-2209

LAPD Non-Emergency Dispatch: 818-734-2223

More good info here: http://www.sunvalleyhills.org/emergency.html
kyardley

Post by kyardley »

I say KEEP the phone in the LZ please. I've used it to call for pick-up and my cell ops are spotty at Kagel.