Donation Proposal for New Gazebo

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Glenn

Donation Proposal for New Gazebo

Post by Glenn »

My business just bought a brand new laser cutting machine that can make a perfectly clean cut in steel up to nearly an inch thick. We specialize in Stainless Steel, which I love since it lasts forever and requires no painting or maintenance of any kind.

I would like to donate the material and labor to produce a piece of artwork to adorn the new gazebo.

I would cut a piece of thin Stainless Steel sheet probably about 14 gauge (0.075") in virtually any shape. This could be attached to the structure like a plaque, or maybe above or near the roof.

I can produce it with a perfect mirror finish, or a brushed finish. The mirror finish is stunning. I'm talking large scale, up to 10 ft. by 4 ft. A flat piece would be easiest, but some bending could also be incorporated if desired.

I would only need 2 things:

1) A design
2) Approval by the board

There could be a contest for the design. I have some ideas, and I know we have some creative people in the club so that we could come up with something great that would really set off the new LZ complex. Kinda like the Statue of Liberty, or the Eiffel Tower, or The Worlds Largest Ball of Yarn.

This laser cuts a perfectly clean edge removing only 0.008" of material and is incredibly accurate. It could cut a comb for your hair with paper thin teeth in 1/2 thick steel. This means it can cut almost any 2D design that can be drawn.

One consideration: This sculpture could easily be ruined if scratched up by vandals, so I would suggest it be placed high up, out of reach. It could be something as simple as the name of the club in stainless steel letters or something creative. We could combine the metal with elements in wood or concrete, or Jello brand gelatin. Almost anything is possible.

It's free to the club, so what do you all think?
Last edited by Glenn on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyyyyy
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

That sounds like a great technique to create interesting facades to cover the Simpson saddles (especially the ones holding up the main beams), amongst other things.

This was a recurring design issue earlier, (since we see the entire structure) one that was dropped due to more pressing budget concerns as well as not having a satisfactory way to do it immediately at hand.

Now there is one.....
greblo

Post by greblo »

Jesse is an art director who has had many wonderful design ideas fall to the the budget ax. It would be wonderful if you and he could get together and come up something that would be very distinguishing.

Among other ideas that are still being developed are.......
a new architectural driveway gate
a new entry sign
architectural lighting for the gazebo
a Bill Bennett memorial
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
JD

Post by JD »

greblo wrote:....a Bill Bennett memorial
I really like this is idea and hope it comes to fruition or at least to Sylmar. :D
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Thats a versatile cutter and the possibilities are nearly limitless. I read Willswing uses one to make hang gliders:
"This T2 is has that rare but crucial tangible quality of what I call a mirror wing - truly symmetrical... The CNC laser sail cutter and computerized sewing machines"
http://www.willswing.com/reviews/commen ... entSeek=-1

And I was watching it cut tubes:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeGVbtrrHjE[/youtube]

And as a replacement for water-boarding:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvZhyTQCRsk[/youtube]

Could it cut a "Hookin" plaque? or even carve a 3-D diorama of the mountain range?
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

A "Hook In" Plaque is a breeze, and I could weld rods to the back that could be placed in concrete, or driven into the ground - All Stainless, so would never rust out.

Do we need one?

How about a "Don't Whack" Plaque for the LZ and one for the Porta Potty?

I did think about incorporating the mountain skyline into our artwork. That would be very easy. As I said, if you can draw it as a line drawing, it can probably be cut pretty easy.

Below is a photo of a design I cut out a few years ago for Hungry Joe. They are about 10" long. One idea would be to make one up to 10 ft long, and mount it near the roof of the Gazebo, maybe over the stage section. That's one idea.

Below is also a video of an earlier model of the laser I have.
It doesn't really show it, but it will cut perfectly flowing lines and complex curves.

SHGA Emblem 1JPG by bagoh20, on Flickr

The machine video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zu8BNwweUs[/youtube]
Flyyyyy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I can't draw for shit, but if someone can, another idea would be a mural like concept made up of a series of outlined scenes that could be mounted along the roof line depicting perhaps the mountains, gliders in flight, inebriation, and goat shenanigans.

Like I said I can't draw, so we would need someone to do the art as a jpeg or dxf file.

email me if your interested and can do it.
Flyyyyy
msoultan

Post by msoultan »

Not sure if this has already been incorporated into the gazebo design, but has anyone thought it might be handy to have a place to from where you can hang and test out your harness instead of doing it from the tree. I know it's not a big priority, but I figured I'd mention it..
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Here is a quick idea I came up with for the Gazebo, which I think we should rename The LZ complex or Whack Dome.

This would be a two piece sign in stainless steel with a mirror finish with all the design and text created by cutout. If needed, the cutouts could get added contrast by being backed with black powder coated stainless mesh. We do this all the time on designs. It makes a nice contrast of texture and color. If you can't read the text, it says:
"Founded: 1983.........................First Flight: 1969"

The scale on this could be somewhere around 8-10 ft. wide. The lettering could be larger if needed with the smaller letters at a couple inches high, and the larger text maybe twice that.

Just an idea. Any critiques or suggestion are welcomed.

Glider-shga1-1 by bagoh20, on Flickr[/img]
Flyyyyy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Hers is a revised version of my idea:

Mirror finish stainless steel cutout with black powder coated metal mesh backing. Approximately 10 ft x 4 ft.

shga sign 4 by bagoh20, on Flickr
[/img]
Last edited by Glenn on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyyyyy
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Glenn,

I like it.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thanks Rob.

A couple more versions:

I'll probably make a miniature version of one of these next week.

shga art 9 by bagoh20, on Flickr[/img]

~

shga art 9.brass. jpg by bagoh20, on Flickr
[/img]
Flyyyyy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

This is how this sign would look on the Gazebo as I envision it.

Of course it will look much better on a finished gazebo, but you'll have to just imagine that part.

Gazebo with sign by bagoh20, on Flickr[/img]

Gazebo with sign 2 by bagoh20, on Flickr[/img]
Flyyyyy