Sarcastic quotes and sayings

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Busto

Post by Busto »

I wonder if Helen Keller had an unusually protruding forehead?
phkao

Post by phkao »

As such people achieve influence within the organization, whenever there is a conflict between their own interest and the interest of the organization, their interests will win out.

-Robert Shea
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Busto wrote:Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
-James Bovard
"Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -B. Franklin
phkao

Post by phkao »

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.

-Abraham Lincoln
phkao

Post by phkao »

A WOLF found great difficulty in getting at the sheep owing to the vigilance of the shepherd and his dogs. But one day it found the skin of a sheep that had been flayed and thrown aside, so it put it on over its own pelt and strolled down among the sheep. The Lamb that belonged to the sheep, whose skin the Wolf was wearing, began to follow the Wolf in the Sheep’s clothing; so, leading the Lamb a little apart, he soon made a meal off her, and for some time he succeeded in deceiving the sheep, and enjoying hearty meals.

“APPEARANCES ARE DECEPTIVE.�
Busto

Post by Busto »

Busto

Post by Busto »

I don't like ass kissers, flag wavers or team players. I like people who buck the system. Individualists. I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.'" Avoid teams at all cost. Keep your circle small. Never join a group that has a name. If they say, "We're the So-and-Sos," take a walk. And if, somehow, you must join, if it's unavoidable, such as a union or a trade association, go ahead and join. But don't participate; it will be your death. And if they tell you you're not a team player, congratulate them on being observant.�
― George Carlin
OP

Post by OP »

Busto

Post by Busto »

phkao

Post by phkao »

Whether or not the information takes hold in the mind depends on two factors: trust and the source of information and repetition of the message. Trust and the source of information induce the acceptance of a message as true even if it is not understood. Repetition of the message embeds in the subconscious so that acceptance of the truth and accuracy becomes a conditioned response. Thus this information will be accepted as true without thinking about it whenever it is presented again.
Busto

Post by Busto »

A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.
- Kevin Nealon
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

What goes up must come down

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgS26ZhqZs[/youtube]
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Correction 1:

Not everything that goes up comes down. Russian satellites seem to come down but the Voyager 1 spacecraft is 11 billion miles from the sun.

The craft is currently in what NASA calls, not undramatically, "the boundary between the solar wind from the Sun and the interstellar wind from death-explosions of other stars," an area that astrophysicists also call, less dramatically, a stagnation layer.

It will be interesting to see if the craft bounces off the interstellar space boundary and returns to crash back down on earth.

Correction 2:

There are now many women and there magnificent flying machines also.
phkao

Post by phkao »

Fallacy is usually an improper argumentation in reasoning resulting in a misconception or presumption. By accident or design, fallacies may exploit emotional triggers in the listener or interlocutor (appeal to emotion), or take advantage of social relationships between people (e.g. argument from authority). Fallacious arguments are often structured using rhetorical patterns that obscure any logical argument.
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

He has the amazing ability to compress the greatest number of words into the smallest idea I’ve ever heard.
Mark Twain

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:
She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison."
He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."
"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second.... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others." - Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
Busto

Post by Busto »

If you get the facts, your judgment can be right; if you don’t get all the facts, it can’t be right.
-Bernard Baruch

I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either.
-Jack Benny

I was converted from fool when my spine was somewhat reorganized.
-Russell Baker

I never believed in Santa Claus because I knew no white dude would come into my neighborhood after dark.
-Dick Gregory

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
-Sir Winston Churchill

If God wanted us to fly, He would have given us tickets.
-Mel Brooks

“I have no trouble with my enemies. I can take care of my enemies in a fight. But my friends, my goddamned friends, they’re the ones who keep me walking the floor at night�.
-Warren G Harding

In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.
-Ellen DeGeneres

A signature always reveals a man's character - and sometimes even his name.
-Evan Esar

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
-Sir Winston Churchill

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
-Groucho Marx

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
-George Carlin

Millions watched the apple fall, but Newton was the only one who asked why.
-Bernard Baruch

A man can sleep around, no questions asked, but if a woman makes nineteen or twenty mistakes she's a tramp.
-Joan Rivers

A crowd always thinks with its sympathy, never with its reason.
-William R Alger

I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something.
-Mitch Hedberg

A man who builds his own pedestal had better use strong cement.
-Anna Quindlen

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
-Groucho Marx
OP

Post by OP »

"We're all so careful to make it safely to death"
Busto

Post by Busto »

“There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.�
-Viggo Mortensen
Busto

Post by Busto »

I do not like hypothetical statements, It’s like lying to your brain.
- Kenneth from 30 Rock

If you haven't seen the show, it's very witty. Tina Fey and her team are good writers.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

British Field Marshal: I should've thought you'd want to fall back and regroup.
General George S. Patton, Jr.: Not me, Teddie. I don't like to pay for the same real estate twice.