SHGA couple in trouble

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

greblo

SHGA couple in trouble

Post by greblo »

To all our hang gliding friends.

I've very recently learned that one of our oldest and most loved hang gliding couples, Ludwig and Laura Von der Luhe, are desperately in need of our help. I'm asking for volunteers to assist me next Saturday morning, October 15th, 2011 from 8 am to noon at their home in West Covina. I can't do this alone.

Ludwig (hang 4) is a 77 yr. old Vietnam veteran, and his wife Laura (hang 1) is 80 yrs. Ludwig just was released from the hospital after most of his last remaining kidney was removed. Laura is not very well either. Although they have flown hang gliders this year, it's not certain whether either will be able to fly again in the future.

The big problem that they face right now is the high cost of fines and penalties, and the threat of losing their home due to violations of the county health code; violations that they can't fix by themselves. You see, Ludwig and Laura are one of those couples that have filled their house with excess belongings, most of which need to be thrown away. The health department has given them only a couple weeks to reduce the clutter in their home to make it safe and livable.

If they don't comply in time, costly county inspections, and the threat of loss of their home faces them. It's sad to see these two wonderful people, so frightened at the above prospects, while momentarily too frail to do much about it. We need a large turnout to help them.

Please join me if you will by emailing me and letting me know that you can come out and help me, Larry Chamblee and Malury Silberman, fill a roll-off container and make their house livable again. With a good turnout, we can finish in just a few hours and head for Kagel tfor some afternoon flying.

Joe
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Steve90266

Helping out

Post by Steve90266 »

Joe, I've got it on my calendar. Besides emptying the house of things, is there some yard work that may need doing? What does the home look like from the outside?
Steve Murillo
greblo

Post by greblo »

Steve,
The home looks pretty good on the outside, except for their old station wagon in the back yard. It's inside the house and garage that needs our attention. Years of hording stuff that they don't have room for.

In addition, they have some electrical code violations that we won't be trying to address this day.

joe
Michael Robertson
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Are Ludwig and Laura on-board with doing this, or is there gonna be a lot of resistance to throwing things out? I'm tying to find a way to make it there for a couple hours, but if I do, I want to work and accomplish something.
Flyyyyy
greblo

Post by greblo »

They said they are ready and willing to throw out a lot of stuff. We're trying to get a Goodwill truck out there as well. It remains to be seen how much trouble they have throwing stuff out.
Michael Robertson
kyardley

Post by kyardley »

I'm on board to help and likely a couple of other friends too.

? Shall we bring big trash bags? If no dumpster, we may have to haul the real trash away in our vehicles to have it be gone.

? Do they still live at 2343 Cedarwood St, West Covina?

Katherine
greblo

Post by greblo »

Yes Katherine,

Boxes, trash bags, and pilot pickup trucks could be useful if we're limited in dumpster capacity. I'll be trying to get the local Goodwill to bring a truck out there.

Their address is 2343 Cedarwood st. West Covina

I visited their house this morning and there's a lot of stuff that is no longer of value to them, but still has some value to others or thrift stores, such as 2 meter radios, small appliances, pillows and comforters, clothing, canned pet food, small and large pet cages, trikes and trike wings, hang glider wheels, hang glider parts, etc.

There is also an opportunity for someone to make some money, helping them sell more valuable items on Craigslist or Ebay; including emergency generators, Engine hoist, small trailers, etc.
Michael Robertson