Pavilion donation ideas needed

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

BudRob

Pavilion donation ideas needed

Post by BudRob »

At the last board meeting, it was suggested that we may have members who would like to contribute to our pavilion project but don't have the time or inclination to contribute their physical labor. So we are looking for ideas to honor those who might be interested in donating money instead. The board approved the idea of borrowing up to $25,000 at 1.5% interest from one or more members that have offered. But we obviously would like to minimize the amount we need to borrow.

One idea is to make special plaques with contributors names that could be integrated into the pavilion design. Perhaps several plaques can be made, with larger and/or more details ones having the names of those who contribute higher amounts.

I'm sure there are many other ways to do this. Any other ideas?

Rob Burgis

PS - below is a short list of those that I have personally seen contribute a "significant" amount or work to our pavilion. I hope to honor these people in some way in the future as well. Please forgive me (and remind me later) if your name does not appear here.

Rick Holman
Dan Barley
Chris Armenta
Ken Andrews
George Boswell
Jim Thompson
Mike Hayden
Glenn Smith
Joe Greblo
Mike Knapp
Darrel Weaver
Marcus Schaedler
Doug Martens
Matt Hart
Robert Bustemonte
Richard Shaw
Adam Newman
David VanNoppen
Joey Fresquez III
Joe Fesquez Jr.
Greg Jones
Larry Chamblee
Paul Yardley
Phil Bloom
Alvaro Paramo
Enrique Bava
Marshall Robin
Tom Shaffer
Raffi Adamian
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

It would be very helpful if we could come up with additional income streams to fund the club. We get great income from glider storage rental, which was a fantastic idea. With another idea like that, we would have no money problems at all.

Think little Einsteins.
Flyyyyy
Don

Contributions

Post by Don »

Contributions?

501 c 3 :?:

NO :?: :o

Then NO!

Then F-NO!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

A contribution to a charity is usually not in your own interest or for something in which you yourself enjoy the fruits of the contribution.

That's why this it's not like giving to a charity. It's us giving to ourselves or each other to make a better club, hopefully.

I'm certainly in favor of contributions, but as a confirmed capitalist, I believe an income stream that involves an exchange like the glider storage will be much more robust, and reliable. People buying plaques for mounting in the gazebo is one such idea, but I think it will have a limited life since eventually everyone who wants one will get it, ending the cash flow.

Another idea would be to have drawings for club assets, like a one year rental on a storage tube. Tickets would be $30. We may get more than storage is normally, and in the process rent out a non-producing tube and possibly get someone new hooked on storage.

Another would be a block party with an admission price where the members provide all the food as donations.

Another could be a group yard sale where the members donate items for sale that they no longer want. I have stuff like bicycles and roller blades, etc We could combine a bake sale with both of the above.

I'm sure this stuff has come up before, but we need money now.
Flyyyyy
Don

Contributions

Post by Don »

Glenn,

Let me start by saying I applaud your extensive contribution to the Club.

As for needing money NOW - I disagree. As Rob has pointed out there have been several people who offered low interest rate loans so construction can be completed. The Club runs at a surplus so it would only take 2+ years to repay the loans.

I like the idea that you offer suggestions to raise funds for the Club - I don't see many others offering suggestions. However, everything you mention is relatively "nickel & dime" when you consider $25K for the roof. Straight forward financial donations are the "home run" in this situation. FYI - Crestline claims that one of its' members has pledged $21,000 so the club could buy an additional share in the "Ranch". That $21K donation will most likely cost the contributor ~ $14k - a lot of money but a hell of a lot less that $21k. CSS is a 501 c 3.

There are numerous people in this club that could write a check for the entire roof without even having to look at their checking account balance before doing so. My BIG BITCH with the 501 c 3 is I raised this concern ~4 years ago and nothing has been done about it (the process takes about a year). Considering that most likely people that could/would contribute a substancial sum to the club are probably in a 35 - 40% combined Federal and State tax bracket - it seems extremely inconsiderate on the Club's part to expect the contributor to absorb the entire cost - why not have the State & Fed subsidize it - the tax code allows for it.

Finally, as for having a plaque on a wall - If I were to make a contribution, especially a large one, one condition would be that my name would NOT be on a plaque! I'm not that shallow and I don't need the recognition.
Busto

Post by Busto »

I know that the board has been talking about how they could do the things you were talking about. It might be a good time to sit down with the board and figure a way on how to get it done in the shortest period of time. At this point, I have no doubt that your experience is something the club can use.

The plaque was in no way a system to point out shallow people. One hundred dollars in this economy is a lot to most. I'm sure that the board understands this, and when they mentioned on putting peoples' names on a plaque, it was in taste, not to point out the givers from the non givers. This is a fruitless discussion since it is subjective, but the one thing that isn't is your knowledge that might benefit the club in dealing with this problem.
Last edited by Busto on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I favor getting loans to finish the gazebo, but loans need repaid, and that's a new, long term, big expense. The repayment schedule on those loans would eat up a huge portion of our monthly income. In addition, we have very little reserve to handle any emergency, of which there are a number of possibilities that would eat up the whole thing. Servicing the loans is exactly why I'm saying we need more income.

On the subject of a member giving a huge donation:
It's not fair to expect one member to save a club of hundreds by donating more than the entire membership does combined. If I want to give that kind of money, believe me, I know more needy causes than a hang gliding club composed of people who are pretty lucky overall. Frankly I couldn't defend it to the people in the charities I already support.

The club should be primarily self-supporting - not panhandling. We are not needy, we just want nice stuff. That's great, but lets earn it.

I'm not against getting the 501c3 - it has pluses and minuses - and I would benefit and love having donations tax deductible, but that alone is not gonna support this club long term. We are just not a very sympathetic charity.

I agree my suggestions in the above post are puny and insufficient, but I'm hoping that all us smart people can come up with something like the storage rental that provides steady, reliable income. If we just had one more income stream like that, or a couple half that good, we would be sitting pretty.

The club is NOT in a financial disaster - we will come out all right in the end, but we have very little reserved and will be pretty much unable to do much of any significance financially for a long time as we stand now. I would just like to get us back where we were before the gazebo drained us. We still have plans for the future that need money
Flyyyyy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

As I offered at the Board meeting, I'd be willing to donate the plaques if I can come up with a design that my company can make at a reasonable cost.

There could be ones installed up in the rafters or attached to the rail cap on top or along the edges.

There isn't much money in this though. I think we would be lucky to get 50 takers and the one-time income would be well under $10K, but that still would be a big chunk to pay back any loan for the gazebo.

~~~~

This is probably pretty controversial, and may have liability issues, but how about renting the LZ out for weddings, and other events. We could be picky about who we do it with. Maybe a Rolling Stones concert!
Flyyyyy
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

There may be a way to donated and get the deduction here with a possible matching amount from ushpa and have it earmarked for this pavilion.

http://www.ushgf.org/donate.html

Double Your Gift When Renewing Your USHPA Membership
The USHPA will match up to $500 per year when you renew you membership and contribute to the Foundation. See the donation options under "Tax Deductible Contributions" on the USHPA website.

Its not set up but maybe it could be. Possible get some national donations to through their marketing apparatus.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

add an additional item:
example:

• Bill Bennett Memorial/Pavilion fund Sylmar

to the existing funds:
• General Fund - for general administrative needs.
• Site Preservation Fund - for the preservation of hang gliding/paragliding sites.
• Safety and Education Fund - to improve the quality of safety and education.
• Hang Gliding Competition Fund - to establish hang gliding competitions.
• Women's Hang Gliding Competition Fund - to establish women's hang gliding competitions .
• Paragliding Competition Fund - to establish paragliding competitions.

also set up a direct Paypal donate button on shga and other web pages
example:
http://www.usparaglidingteam.org/

All fully tax deductable
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

How about a club vehicle to transport pilots up the hill.

Greblo and Hungary Joe have some experience with this that may prove otherwise, but it seems in the numbers, that it could be profitable at current costs:

$20 per pilot trip X avg of 6 pilots per trip - $20 for driver - $20 for gas = $80 income per trip.

Avg of 3 trips per week X 52 weeks per year X $80 = $12,480 per year.

Subtract car loan payments and maintenance and it seems we would still make a few thousand per year.

3 trips per week and 6 pilots per trip may be a little low. There are a lot of trips up the hill, but they are spread out over many vehicles now. If the club vehicle is always used in preference to a pilot's vehicle, the income numbers could be doubled, possibly providing more income than the even the glider storage does. The bonus is that pilots don't wear out their own vehicles, and just one truck gets scratched up and nobody has to drive it home.

Just a thought. Feel free to point out what I'm missing. There must be something.
Flyyyyy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

With our new nice pavilion to house them, another possibility is additional vending machines owned by us, with the kind of snacks WE want.

Or how about a club car washing service done by independent contractors who pay the club an access and water use fee per car? I'd love to have my truck washed while I fly. Wash my dog to while we're at it. I'd pay for that too.

I'm looking at what club people are already spending money on, and seeing how that could be redirected through the club. We spend it anyway, why not direct it back to us?

I don't know if we have room, but if we clear out some debri maybe we would have room to rent parking space for someone to park a few boats, RVs or cars down where nobody parks now. Monthly income - no cost.

Just thinking out loud here.
Flyyyyy
Don

Club Vehicle

Post by Don »

Glenn,

Talk to Joe & Joe about truck expenses. A real money loser.

As for vending machines - I've done a little research into this. Simply replacing the existing soda machine with a newer model would pay for itself in reduced electrical useage in about 5 years. When I've mentioned this to Board Members no one gets excited. The draw back is - who is going to keep it stocked. As you might have experienced, the current policy of allowing Erwin to operate this service, and keep all the "profits" (which are pretty low at 50cents a can) isn't working real well these days. I gave up and bring my own soda.

As for having a choice in snacks - this can be done with any outside vendor.

Want to increase the flow of money - Here are a few possibilities (with related drawbacks):

1. Revise the current policy of paying the storage container custodian to perform this duty. In theory this increases the Club's funds by ~ $1,500 /year. The problem? This approach didn't work well in the past. I suspect the current policy has provided a greater Net Income to the club that the old policy.

2. Charge EVERYONE (except Erwin) - absolutely no exceptions - $5 per night to stay in the LZ. Based upon my observations over the last few years this would have increased the Club's funds by ~$1,000 a year. The problem? Who is going to play "Cop"?

3. Raise the annual membership fee (I can already hear the crying now from the usual people). An increase to $100/year would probably net ~4
$3,000 /year. The problem? Cry Babies!

4. Have a true site custodian. No direct out-of-pocket payment. In exchange for being allowed to stay on the LZ premises, this person(s) would be responsible for vending machine opertions (income to the Club), lawn moving (reduced cost of $1,000/year), collecting day use and overnight fees (increase revenue of $500 - $1,000/year), Glider Storage Custodian (increase revenue of $1,500 / year), trash pick-up, misc other duties. The problem? Finding the right person.

Comments???
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

If I was unemployed, Id' love a job in the LZ of:
gardening
watchman
stocking vending machines
washing cars
driving
packing gliders
managing the storage rental
etc.

I'd do the gardening and watchman jobs for the right to stay there and all the rest for pay or a percentage. I think it would be a dream job.

I bet a person could make a good living AND make money for the club. You have to be motivated, hard working and conscientious though - a rare breed.
Flyyyyy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

My point with the vending machines was not to improve choices or save money on power, but to make money. That's what they are for. Charge full price for snacks, and soda, and own the machine to keep all the profits in the club. I think they make pretty good money, but we would need someone to stock them. Once the roof is on the Gazebo, they would have a nice location.

People eat and drink sodas all day long when they are there, but they pay top dollar to stores up in town, and gas or time to do it. Having that in the LZ would make money, IMHO. I suspect that people in the neighborhood would even use them occasionally.
Flyyyyy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

As for the plaques: I would suggest levels based on amount donated:

Bronze.....$100
Silver.......$250
Gold.........$500
Diamond..$1000
Da Kind...$5000

They wouldn't actually be made from those materials, but would be designated as such in the text.

Might say something like:

Gold Award
In recognition of their support for this club, we thank
Genghis Khan
Flyyyyy
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

I can imagine all those plaques looking like some sort of memorial to dead hang-glider pilots.....it's sort of weird.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Well eventually, if the gazebo survives, they will be just that.

In 100 years when they are flying on 4 pound gliders that take off from the LZ and lift to altitude with a 1 pound motor, your name could still be there as one of the few, the proud, the trail blazers of the grand old days of free flight - immortalized in stainless steel as one of the visionaries of 2011.

Send in your check before all the spots are gone!

These don't have to be mounted on the gazebo structure. There could be a large board or wall where they are displayed instead.
Flyyyyy
JD

Post by JD »

During post-Towers Launch set-up, break-down, beer-suck, drive-down today, Ronaldo spawned the brilliant idea of pilots contributing via LZ grilled food such as burgers, etc.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Why don't we have a wack tax? 9% for wacks. 9% for belly landings. 9% for running out the landings to avoid the tax. I would be one of the first to contribute!

Jay BforAWack
eat right, exercise, die anyway!