New storage tubes

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Spitfire

New storage tubes

Post by Spitfire »

Who do I speak to about getting a new storage tube under the Gazebo?
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Stipfire,

You can speak to me or Jay Devorak.

BTW, who are you?

Rob Burgis
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

One requirement for glider storage is that you have to be a current member. Cost for storage under the pavilion has not been established yet.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

BudRob wrote:Stipfire,

You can speak to me or Jay Devorak.

BTW, who are you?

Rob Burgis
Thanks. I'm Mike (the English one not Soultanian).

I'm a current member. Any idea how much the cost is likely to be? I assumed it would be $20/mo like the other storage.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

The cost is likely to be similar to the new storage box, which is $260 / year, I believe.

Jay - can you please post the current prices for the existing 2 boxes.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Storage prices for box 100 (west box) is 200/yr or 60/qtr or 25/mo.
Storage prices for box 200 (east box) is 260/yr or 80/qtr or 33/mo.
You can view the contract on the club web page on the left side under club info--glider storage.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I'm not sure why some tubes are more expensive than others or if it makes sense. The tubes that are farther away and more susceptible to (recent)critter encroachment, cost more. I suppose they are slightly larger but I have never seen anyone put more than a single hang glider into a tube. The old box has a market distorting "Prop 13" style pricing that should skew the market for tubes and create a waiting list. BTW can I get on the waiting list for the cheaper box? Can we publish this list? I am in the top row on the new box and is reachable because I am over 6 feet tall. A speed bump 10 feet out from the box might make it easier to step up when inserting the glider but people are going to trip over it. I'm sure eliminating Prop 13 pricing would cause a fuss. The Windsports storage is cheaper but you have to walk an extra 20 yards. From my tube after asking if a ride was available I unlocked and had my glider on the truck in under 30 seconds, how convenient. Post office boxes are different prices for different sizes depending on mail volume but a tube is for one hang glider so the price should be the same for all storage tubes. A single price would mean easier advertising and marketing the tubes because it keeps it simple. Taller people with light gliders should volunteer to take the highest tubes, heavier gliders should go in the lower tubes.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

The answer to all your questions is forty-two.
Jim

Post by Jim »

"What is the meaning of life?"

There will soon be a proposal to restructure and evaluate the membership fees* for local storage, probably at the first board meeting of the year. All those who are interested, especially those seeking storage for the first time, should consider attending.

*Storage is offered only to members as a service for an additional fee. The club is not "collecting rent."
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

It might make sense to offer a volume discount if more than one glider is stored by a pilot. This could lead to subleasing though. Storing you glider at Sylmar may also have the benefit of reducing wear and tear on your glider from transporting to and from your home.

Question: What would the price of a storage tube be if all tubes were rented and were the same price and the changes kept the revenue to the club exactly the same as before the change? Its too early in the year to do calculus.

I also wonder if the older storage box price was applied to all tubes including the pavilion, what the effect on the club revenue would be.
Busto

Post by Busto »

I think we can have a sight in the forum that is comparable to airline seating assignment. You can go into the sight and see what containers are available.

We can have three different prices. The twelve inch is barely big enough, the fourteen gives you an extra two inches making it nicer, but the fifteen inch gives you and extra three inches and you only have to bend down to get it.

When it comes to hang glider tubes, size matters!
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

My thanks to Jim for giving Doug a good anwser. I wasn't trying to be snide. It's just sometime words fail me. I want to emphasize something he said. Pricing can be brought up at a board meeting. It saves a lot of angst when done before the fact. Another thing I would like to point out. The cheap box holds 42 gliders. The other box contains 36. That makes the revenue per box more equal. I don't have enough fingers and toes to calculate how much it would take to make the pavilion more equal. My thanks to the Tom, Glen, Rob and Greblo for their efforts above and beyond the call.
Busto

Post by Busto »

How many containers are leased to non-members?

What is the demand for members wanting tubes (is there a wait list)?

If there is not enough demand for members, can we increase the lease price for non-members?

If we can carefully figure out how much to increase the lease for non-members, it might provide incentive for non-members to join the club.

When anyone who is associated with an organization goes to organizational events, they usually pay a members price, which is cheaper compared to a non-member.

Why isn't there a location in the forum that shows tubes that are available?

Jim mentioned about going to the board meeting, but if you cannot make it; that's fine. All information will get to the members one way or another.

I think the club should have meetings like our forefathers did. A monthly kegger would be fine on a Saturday. I can’t see why we couldn’t afford a keg of beer once a month. The turn out would be more then the Thursday board meetings and more Democratic.
Last edited by Busto on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Quick response so may leave out some details. We do not permit glider storage for non-members. SHGA is a not for profit organization and providing a service to the public would jepordize that status. All of the storage is occupied at this time. There is a short waiting list. We have not provided a map of empty units because they are only ocassional, it would require more hassles for the volunteer staff, there is a small security concern.
Busto

Post by Busto »

Thanks Jay
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/A_Compa ... aragliding

I've seen the storage issue raised at places that sell paragliding lessons and kites. The price and availability of storage could have an effect on the popularity and growth of paragliding.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Yes our storage prices are out of date. Please see my post titled "Glider Storage Available" from Dec 17th and add your opinions on changes there.

Bottom line is that I think the old box is too cheap (except for the top row) and the top row of the new box is too expensive (relief is coming Doug).

Also I agree that we need our website set up so that you can see availability and price. Who will volunteer to make that happen?

The Prez
Don

Volunteer?

Post by Don »

jdevorak wrote:... it would require more hassles for the volunteer staff, ...
With all due respect for the effective work you have made the last few years - It is my understanding that the position of Glider Storage Guru is NOT a volunteer position. The GURU receives a percentage of the gross income.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

It might be possible to rent the windsports online creditcard payment system to collect money if people were willing to pay a 2% Chase Bank processing fee, or we could set up a bank transfer like an iphone app I saw on TV. Chip is good on the webpage programming so maybe an app on the webpage that tracks who has paid and who is past due with automatic emailing when its due or past due. A quarterly report could go to the board and they could do certified letters manually for gliders about to go to auction. Eliminating the MGT fee could help generate more money but it should be said Jay has done a great job in this important area.
Busto

Post by Busto »

F#%& that!

Our club is capable of handling our own finances.