Gold Canyon

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Gold Canyon

Post by Ken Andrews »

Some pilots, particularly those on topless gliders, will know the spectacular white cliffs behind Big T, maybe a third of the way from there to Mount McKinley. Of course I'm too terrified to appreciate the scenery when flying over this tiger country, so I went exploring on foot a few days ago.

Friday afternoon, May 18, I drove up Big Tujunga Canyon Road, past the bail-out LZ in the wash, and on to the first bridge across the river. I found a way down to the river between a couple back yards that might actually have been legal, and waded across the river to get to the mouth of Gold Canyon. The first couple miles of Gold Canyon form a beautiful open valley with innumerable deer and rabbit tracks. Two or three times, deer bounded away ahead of me. Then there are a couple tight switchbacks, the valley forks, and changes character entirely. Soon I was scrambling over boulders in a narrow canyon, between steep banks of gray-white mud that looked exactly like spilled concrete. The high cliffs of unconsolidated sandstone evidently shed mud and rocks at an incredible rate, and this would be the world's worst place to be in a rainstorm. Just as I was concluding that the upper section of this canyon was impassable, I pulled myself up through the dead branches of a manzanita bush that had been swallowed by the canyon, and emerged onto a lush green meadow. I had reached the top of the cliffs, and the top of the Yerba Buena Ridge, known to us simply as Big T. Everything was in bloom, and even I couldn't help but admire the flowers.

It's amazing what remote and gorgeous countryside one can find just a few miles away from the teeming millions in Los Angeles.

JD

Post by JD »

Thanks Ken. Great report and photos. I wish I was in shape to hike like that too.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

I wish I was in shape to hike like that too
Stop wishing, start hiking. Its that easy.

There is good hike to Lukens Mt. from the north side, trail is not in the great shape and was not maintaind after fire, but still passable. Another good hike in this area is to Condor Peak. Its always good idea to hike terrain before you attempt to fly over it. :)
skydizzy.blogspot.com
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Thanks for sharing.
Great pictures - looks like you had a good work-out.