Proposed Bathrooms

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

skygeek AKA Seabass

Proposed Bathrooms

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Fernando and his crew did the retaining walls for the handicap path, the original patio the patio extension, extended the the curb an additional 150ft all this work was done for 1/2 of retail cost, that's with Fernando volunteering his time and his guys getting paid Fernandos cost. When we decide and he is available he is the perfect man for the job. I feel he should get some compensation for the bathroom job that is to be determined later.

The biggest single cost that we thought was going to use up most the money was the permit fees to hook up to the sewer some thought between $20 to $40K I have been working with the same person at City Engineering that helped S.I.B.L. with there sewer back in 1996. The first cost she gave me was around $17K. I explained our situation she went back to the engineers came back with a printed official estimate of $2839.86 this is HUGE GREAT news and should leave enough money to finish the bathroom if we get the money. I am waiting for a estimate from a sewer contractor for the price to bring the sewer to our property, to get to the sewer they have to go around 40ft out, 5ft deep. This is not very far so I don't think it should be to expensive $3 to $5K
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Fantastic Seabass!

We may want to move it closer to the street to reduce the length of the run. Not to mention that in it's current location the handicap ramp will become the primary route of travel out and back, which may put too much wear on it. It would also be nice to be able to see from the gazebo if there is a line waiting rather than having to walk all the way over there repeatedly. Just some thoughts.
Flyyyyy
skygeek AKA Seabass

Glen The proposed bathrooms would go near the walk in gate S/W corner of the property 25ft set back from the front and side fence line. I can email you the site plan if you like. [/url]
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Perfect.
No, that's OK Sebastian, I'll see it eventually.

BTW, All, I haven't forgotten about the final hand rails. I'm planning on installing them next week. Then finishing up by buffing out the welds and refinishing the wood caps with a second coat of stain. Been too busy lately to get out there.
Flyyyyy
skygeek AKA Seabass

Your awesome thanks for all you do, we will need your help with stainless handicap hand rails around the toilets when it comes time. We find out tomorrow if we will get the funding. Personally I am exited about the thought of having real bathrooms.
OP

Post by OP »

Aren't we in debt? The last time we tried to reduce labor costs with volunteerism ended up costing us a lot of money and an excuse in quality. Remember the n*tenb**m: "Oh your stairs look like shit? That's because the volunteer staff caused it."

Seems we just got burned with this. How can we learn from the past?

Let's pay off the our debt and buy fully funded construction.
skygeek AKA Seabass

OP read the first post, Fernando is a professional his guys are professionals being paid his cost by us. Check out the work he has done handicap area retaining walls, all the stucco block work, parking lot curb, patio, & new patio extension.There is nothing shotty about it. $ the bathrooms will end up being cheap almost free. News to be announced soon.
Busto

Post by Busto »

OP has every reason to feel the way he does. He is 100% right. Shanghaied is putting it lightly when we look at the gazebo project.

The $50,000.00 shouldn't bring on amnesia when it comes to the gazebo's past.

Transparent is how it should be presented...No "Foxy Loxy" Bull$%#@.

I'm for the bathrooms. I know it can be done openly and with an estimate that isn't three times under the actual cost. If for some crazy reason it did become three times over estimated...then it shouldn't move forward until it is addressed.

To feed the club with bullshit reasons on why we need to continue is not an option.

The volunteerism shined in many ways. Glenn, Fernando, George, Jim, Rob, Seabass, Daryl and of course Tom and many others will always stand out in good faith.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm relieved that you and Pi-Hsuan are in charge of this project, Robert; it's your turn to shine!
Busto

Post by Busto »

Thank you, Jim.

Seabass is my boss. He is doing a lot of Shakin' and Bakin' to move things forward. He, Rob, and Pi-Hsuan are the three musketeers so far. "All for one and one for all".

We can do it or we can't.

In either case the club will have the final say. If they say no, then that is fine.

Oh! one more thing. If willing, I think Pi-Hsuan will ask you to come out of retirement to express your concerns with the permit.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Buste your FIRED (just kidding) I am not understanding what your saying do you mean we should not use Fernando? It has been proven relationship, with the work he has done so far at 1/2 the cost with retail quality. He has come through every time. He does what he says, does a great job and his guys clean up when there done. They are professionals. I have been around construction 1/2 my life to me these guys are the real deal. Its a no brainer.
Busto

Post by Busto »

NO! Fernando is a key player. He is tried and true. He has to be on the team.

OK!...four Musketeers!

Why are you asking me? You fired me.

By the way check your email later tonight. Pi-Hsuan completed the upgrade you asked for.
Last edited by Busto on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Your re-hired for now. Thanks for the info.
OP

Post by OP »

skygeek AKA Seabass wrote:Buste your FIRED .
** you're **

Maybe we might want to hire professionals after all.
Busto

Post by Busto »

Really?

Are suggesting we get an English teacher?

I believe we ain't ever done did that before. :o
skygeek AKA Seabass

OP Your humerus!
Plans have changed on the design I do not think a pre-fab bathroom will work. Thanks for looking into it.
OP

Post by OP »

From the little I have interacted with Seb and Fernando, it is clear that those guys are professionals. The work on our gazebo is fantastic.

Talk me down from this though: Let's require 3 independent bids on the restroom. At least one from a pro-prefab outfit. From what I googeled, we will not be able to compete with their prices and speed.

The bid should include everything from the beginning to the final permitting. The cost of having a half or unpermitted structure on the property should be accounted for. The pro-restroom people will do it all in less than a week.

For the cost/time of having a architect approve a custom drawing... these pre-fab outfits can install the entire thing.
Busto

Post by Busto »

Op,

I agree with much of what you said, except the Architect. Pi-Hsuan has done several custom drawings and it hasn't cost us a dime. If you come to the board meeting this Thursday you can get a better idea of what has been going on.

I would have to see the numbers to believe that a prefab could offer us a price for the same size, style, and finish that the club desires. The desire is to match the gazebo in appearance. I think when you start to ask for custom, the price will naturally go up.

What are their prices and what are our prices...do you know?

It would be nice to get some comparative numbers.

A unisex bathroom is still being looked at. If codes permit us in doing so, it is a likely prospect.

Pi-Hsuan hasn't drawn a unisex design yet, but it is not a problem.
skygeek AKA Seabass

OP your right the more info we get the more educated we become. The people involved have there plate full including myself so if you can handle this and present it to the board at the meeting next Thursday 6/14 it would be great. Here is a example of our needs. 18X18' block wall stucco building for region 4 earthquake zone, metal seam roof, ADA compliant, side high windows, mens room with toilet, urinal, sink, unisex bathroom with sink and toilet, steel doors, high pressure tank less toilets, floor drains

Here is a link to a high end modular company. http://www.romtec.com/request_a_quote/
OP

Post by OP »