Rome's Last Flight

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Jim

Rome's Last Flight

Post by Jim »

Thanks to everyone who came out to cheer Rome on for one last flight, ending 44 years of hang gliding.

Aged 83+, Oxygen tank tucked into his harness, Rome launched flawlessly, as usual. After 26 minutes, during which he climbed above the top of Kagel (no vario!), he set down in the LZ, a bit long but uneventful.

The apres-flight party was great! Rome addressed the crowd from the pavilion afterward and committed to staying with us as a faithful,
"leadfoot driver."

My gratitude and appreciation go out to..

VERY SPECIAL thanks to Don Banas who single handedly made this a successful barbecue event.

Thanks, also, to Greg Angsten, Kat and Rich Shaw, Emily Brown, Raffi Adamian, Phil Bloom and anyone else I've missed for their contributions. And Joe Greblo for the loaner GoPro to record Rome's flight.
Busto

Post by Busto »

Congratulations Rome!

Several years ago Rome and a few of us were flying in front of Trash. After about an hour or so we landed and Rome mentioned that there was a Toyota truck like mine, below trash, just off a dirt road, which had a bedliner on it.

I was surprised he could see it at 3000 feet or so.

After a few days of him telling me that he was sure what he saw and I could save a price of a bedliner, we went to the location. There off the side of the road about fifty feet down was a Toyota Tacoma with a bedliner in it.

It took a rope tided to my bumper, to help us climb down the steep embankment to reach the truck, which was on its side in a gully. We got the bedliner off, tided the rope to it, and hauled it up after climbing back up.

I still am amazed he saw the bedliner in the truck, which remarkably, was on its side.

Saved me $100.00.

Rome, I hope you find it in you to fly again.
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

A few photos of Rome's landing can be found at this link http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 74bedb6236

I got photos of most everybody's staging, approach and landing. I'll post a link once I filter out most of the bad and boring ones and once I figure out a good way to host and share them.
Tom
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

OK, I've pared it down to under 400 photos. I'm uploading them to a Dropbox photo album https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5psiifh90php3x9/79cTRhrRK6
This will take some time for the upload to complete.

I haven't tried this before, so I'm not sure how they'll be presented on the page. Here's hoping for a thumbnail view. :)
Tom
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Nice photos, Tom. And they're presented in a friendly thumbnail format on Dropbox, no problem in viewing them.

Wayne
JD

Post by JD »

Mazel Tov, Rome!
Tom C wrote:OK, I've pared it down to under 400 photos.....
Great photos Tom!
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

gregangsten

Rome's last flight

Post by gregangsten »

Here's a few more pictures from the launch. He had quite the entourage.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8h8gzcbknnyd6fx/ZYqVK1Hv_z
Last edited by gregangsten on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chadness

Post by chadness »

Tom, thanks for taking and posting the excellent pictures. Very cool.

Rome, thanks for demonstrating how to have a prolific, illustrious and successful hang gliding “career�. You are one of my hang gliding role models. Once a pilot ALWAYS a pilot. Looking forward to many more good times with you at Sylmar with our "family".
Joe Faust

Ever high hats to you, Rome

Post by Joe Faust »

Rome, you will be integral to many flights yet. Congratulations! The Lift ... the input of potential energy .. that you will yet give ... will be treasured and spent well in aerial inclines. May those who soak up the potential energy that you will provide ... have profound appreciation of such lift. Real privilege.
Rome: http://energykitesystems.net/RomeDodson/index.html

JoeF
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Congratulations, Rome.

You are and will always be one of the "1 percent" we admire and envy. May your next adventure be as exciting as the last.

-- Groundhog
TomS

Post by TomS »

The launch is from a flight in february. The rest is from Saturday.
Toaster checking for signs of life?
Rome's speech follows landing after a brief blackout. Turn up volume to hear him.

http://youtu.be/CSvJsS0IeyY
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Rome, You are my inspiration. When people ask why I fly, I tell em about you, and say why not?

Oh yea. Thanks Tom for perfectly capturing my fine approach, ending with a whack, and posting it for all. Trust me when I say nothing like that has ever happened before. After over a decade of flying, that's the only photos I have of me in the act of aviation.

Do you have higher res anywhere?
Flyyyyy
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

I believe the icons at the bottom right of the image will let you view or download the full resolution picture. If that doesn't work I can email them or otherwise get them to you.

Part of this exercise is to help me learn who flies what glider. Would yours be the dark black/grey one? If I can figure out how to set it up, I'll have a name that pilot page where we can match gliders to people.
Tom
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Thanks TomC for the Poetic photography and TomS for the video of landing and speech and Rome for being a role model. It was a great flying day.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thanks Tom,

Yea, I found the high res originals. So now I know what I look like in the sky. It's awesome - like a thunder god on Pegasus. I can't believe that stupid nag tripped on the landing. Glue factory here she comes.

I'm not the black glider. I'm the half blue and white with the square tips. Shots 109 - 118.
Flyyyyy
TomS

Post by TomS »

just the last landing at sort of normal speed

http://youtu.be/PfIhPWUXwEQ
OP

Post by OP »

EDIT:

Should have googled my question first.