Sylmar Topo Map

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Chip
Site Admin

Sylmar Topo Map

Post by Chip »

Here's the topo map I've been working on for the LZ. Warning, it's big so it may take a few minutes to download.

http://www.shga.com/images/forum/SylmarFinal.jpg

Feel free to comment on areas we don't have covered already.

The airspace isn't "exactly" correct but it's just a guideline as to what is approximately out there.

I've highlighted the routes to LZ's (big T wash, hospital, and the beehives), as well as routes to launch and the most direct routes away or to the flight park. Most of that is yellow. I also highlighted in yellow the gun range. Pink areas are airspace or no "loiter" areas.

Also listed is the most important waypoints with coordinates and altitude. I put the current warning / hazards as specified on the web site.

Cost to print will be around $225 / w lamination.
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

Very nice, how about more local info like the bowls etc. That would be useful for new and returning pilots.
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
OP

Post by OP »

A few things...

1. Why don't you include the 48/30 airspace that starts around the bridge. Only shown is the 48/sfc.

2. Make sure you pay extra for the anti-UV lamination.
http://www.graphicms.com/tuff.html

3. Is there a volume discount? I want one.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

I didn't include it because it's hard to do, but I can try. If I could get the actual overlay, then I could just scale it correctly. But I haven't found it yet.

As far as the anti-uv, we'll ask.

I have the psd (photoshop file) if you want it.

Also plan on having the entire range plotted (greyscale only). We may put that on the back side for pilots to embellish their long distance exploits.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Very nice!
How big is it in print, is this the one you brought for Dahlsten cup?

A few suggestions, if I may.

Besides the obvious purpose, you've made the map more informative by adding all that club/flight park/ sport specific information to it. So I am going to suggest more pointers, that visitors (pilot or not) and novice pilots can benefit from. After all they are the ones who is going to use it.

*Mark the 2 main launches-Kagel Launch and Towers Launch to stand out from other markings and indicate altitudes too.
*Highlite Kagel launch road all the way to the top.
*Highlite Shooting Range in red and mark it with big letters (and a skull :-)).
*Mark Kagel LZ to stand out more (again) and add landing patterns.
I am assuming, this map will be permanently mounted on the board in the LZ, in which case a common "You are here" marking would make sense.
*Mark all emergency LZ-s also in other color from "general" markings (not blk) without parenthesis, like "BEEHIVE LZ"
Maybe some cute windsock or something.
*Mark the most obvious and commonly recognized house thermals.
*Mark Victor Airways.
*Mark Windsports house.
*Indicate the actual map scale in relation to that print size.

And lastly, where is the crater from my last whack, I don't see it on the map:-)
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

The map was updated this evening with better class c and class e markings. Take a look OP and see if it's good enough. I think it is.

Print will be 43" x 71" or so.

I've already marked the route to launch (both). I felt like there is no reason to mark the road all the way to launch because you can't get there anyway unless you know the combo. Getting you to the gate should be good enough

Shooting range is in yellow, but I can change it to red (or lighter since I'm reducing the opacity).

Landing patterns will be on another display. Landing patterns on this map will not display correctly as they will not be big enough to clearly demonstrate the correct pattern

Other colors against a green topo background won't display as well. I've tried.

I was marking the (LZ) in parenthesis so they did stand out.

What would be the purpose of the windsock? To mark LZ's?

Victor ariways will obscure some of the features we want to show, plus we have a airspace map that will show it that we already have laminated. I did that one a while back. Ron Wiener had it printed and laminiated. It's in the shed right now.

House thermals, maybe. But all of the points on the map are house thermals.

There is a scale in the lower left.

Did you look at it?
Busto

Post by Busto »

Chip,

Pi-hsuan has a 60" plotter, but she isn't comfortable in using it.

She will look and see if there is enough ink to do a topo of that size, then give her thoughts.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Chip wrote:The map was updated this evening with better class c and class e markings. Take a look OP and see if it's good enough. I think it is.

Print will be 43" x 71" or so.

I've already marked the route to launch (both). I felt like there is no reason to mark the road all the way to launch because you can't get there anyway unless you know the combo. Getting you to the gate should be good enough

Shooting range is in yellow, but I can change it to red (or lighter since I'm reducing the opacity).

Landing patterns will be on another display. Landing patterns on this map will not display correctly as they will not be big enough to clearly demonstrate the correct pattern

Other colors against a green topo background won't display as well. I've tried.

I was marking the (LZ) in parenthesis so they did stand out.

What would be the purpose of the windsock? To mark LZ's?

Victor ariways will obscure some of the features we want to show, plus we have a airspace map that will show it that we already have laminated. I did that one a while back. Ron Wiener had it printed and laminiated. It's in the shed right now.

House thermals, maybe. But all of the points on the map are house thermals.

There is a scale in the lower left.

Did you look at it?
So, what is the point of posting a topic up for discussion when you are predetermined already about everything, Mr. NO?
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Hey Chip thanks for stepping up and all the work you have done so far. I am still working on getting the display encasement and cork figured out.
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

Very nice.

I would include Kagel launch as one of the waypoints.

Also, the units on your scale should be "mile".
Tom
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

A discussion doesn't mean that all points are going to be adopted. Nothing has been decided yet. Make a convincing argument for your case or your preference. But just adding your preferences isn't going to automatically be adopted. So that's the point. :) And I'm not saying NO to everything.

Landing patterns are not going on, no matter what you want, this map isn't for that. This map is WAAAY larger than the Dahlsten cup map I used, but even so not large enough to show landing patterns

As far as color, subjective, but easy enough to adopt, no real work there. Just seen it already, black was the best color to show. I'll add some today and let you guys see too.

Victor airways I think will clutter the map, but I'll try and see what they look like.

Scale is a mile, it's listed in the waypoints area, altitude or height is on the topo so I didn't think it would be necessary. But will likely add altitude for launches.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Make a convincing argument for your case
???
Dude, it's your map, do whatever pleases you.
I could care less, I don't need a map.
But if you are up to it, and smart enough to ask for input,
don't be so uptight about it.
Read carefully, understand, think, analyze.
Then respond, if you need to.

P.S. You still haven't figured out the scale question.
P.P.S. One more suggestion: Add Kagel trail.
Last edited by Vrezh on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OP

Post by OP »

Vrezh wrote:
P.P.S. One more suggestion: Add Kagel trial.
This is genius! Let's put Kagel on trial:

JD

Post by JD »

OP wrote:
Vrezh wrote:P.P.S. One more suggestion: Add Kagel trial.
This is genius! Let's put Kagel on trial:....
I think Vrezh's is referring to a BeeLee Goat type of 'trial'.

But again then he might mean something more Spencer Tracy-esque

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0DYaMjhZc[/youtube]
Last edited by JD on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

This is genius! Let's put Kagel on trial:

WhoYou, genius, a spell-check nazi?
OP

Post by OP »

Sorry about that. I'm the worst offender myself.

gregangsten

cemetery

Post by gregangsten »

You might mark the Cemetery LZ strip.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

OK, whiners, try this one.

http://www.shga.com/images/forum/SylmarFinal1.jpg

Also, scale isn't easy to do unless you "KNOW" the print size. So the only thing I can do is what I've done already. Look at Google Maps. The scale in the lower left does NOT show 1" = some scale, but rather dynamically adjust given your chosen zoom. I must do the same thing, but the only way I can do that is make a bar and then set it against a measured area. Once that is done, then regardless of the print size, the scale will be correct given the print size.
OP

Post by OP »

What about magnetic declination?
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

:evil: