CG-1000 harness

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

dteal

CG-1000 harness

Post by dteal »

Anyone have experience with or know of comparison reviews of the CG-1000? I'm currently flying a Z5 and now on the hunt for a new harness. I did read the October 2012 article in the HGPG mag.
DT
OP

Post by OP »

dteal

Post by dteal »

Been doing plenty of that - I was more interested in talking to people with air time in the harness or seeing one up close.
DT
OP

Post by OP »

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Joe Greblo flies with one. He is also a dealer for them. I'm planning on getting one, just need to spend some time in the simulator first to see if it's for me.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Joe will probably not be happy with me but...

Since you guys fly quite a bit and are moving up quickly, why not have a look at the Woody Valley Tenax? As long as you aren't too wide in the hips, it is very comfortable, very aerodynamic, very, very durable and simple in operation, if you order it without the position plates/strings. I bought my first when I came back to flying and I used it for eight years until I bequeathed it to Greblo for use when he flies topless. The only thing I ever replaced was the stretched, climbing rope slide that wore out after about five years of heavy use.

It does have a side mounted 'chute so, if you like to belly-land, not so good and you will want to practice the different pull.

And, you won't be able to get as upright without climbing on the control frame. But learning to do it on a Falcon or Sport 2 will be better than learning on a T2C or LiteSpeed.

I think Greblo became a dealer for WV. They are made in Italy and do take a while to get here; shipping adds to the cost. Order now for April-May delivery. Total cost ~$2300, last time I looked. You can see one when Chip, Vrezh, Doug or I happen to be out.

Other pilots can show you the Moyes Comp and WW Covert; much more expensive but great for drag reduction.

Yes, you may look a little geeky using a comp harness on a Falcon but, if you don't think you'll be there for much longer, why spend the money twice when you decide to move again?. I flew a Dream for a year with my first Tenax but I didn't care about the ironic appearance.

Whatever you choose, try to hang in one first and choose it for comfort and comfort flying.

Good Luck!
remmoore

Post by remmoore »

I think DT needs to ask himself if he needs a racing harness - either now or in the next 5 years. If he sees himself competing, or chasing regional XC records - maybe so. Otherwise, he may just be looking for a comfortable harness that is less draggy than the average rec harness.

Having flown in a CG-1000 for the first 10 years of my flying career, I would say that harness is ideal for any pilot in the second category. The CG-1000 is very comfortable, sturdy/rugged, easy to use, and has good general streamlining. The newer versions offer a side-mounted chute location if a sleeker profile is wanted.

My second harness was/is a Rotor Vulto, but I bought it while the CG-1000 was out of production, and WW was supporting Rotor in the US. Given the choice, I might well have bought another CG-1000.

RM
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

For simplicity and comfort and less drag (but not race-worthy) the CG1000 is great. I still have my (2nd!) one from earlier in my flying career, and still use it occasionally.

Last I checked (and it was admittedly quite a while ago) it was significantly cheaper too. Maybe it isn't any more - you'd have to check that yourself.

But a harness is a very personal thing, far more so even than a glider. Get what works for you. And if you get a used one (nothing wrong with that) make darned sure that it fits. And I don't mean hang for 2 minutes. Check it out thoroughly for wear and fit. A tiny discomfort after a few minutes can become excruciating after an hour or more... Some things can be adjusted, but some cannot.

Good luck!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
greblo

Post by greblo »

We have been a CG1000 dealer for many years and have sold dozens of the harnesses. It's a very good harness and I'm glad their back in business again. My primary XC harness is still a CG1000. You're free to look at it and ask me anything you like.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson