New storage tubes available

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

BudRob

New storage tubes available

Post by BudRob »

Thanks to Glenn Smith and a few of his friends, 10 new tubes are now available in the "C5" storage cell. The outer door is not yet installed but all the individual locking doors are operations so these tubes are available now. Price is still being determined but will be somewhere between our cheapest ($200) and most expensive ($250) storage areas.

Please keep in mind that these new tubes are only 18 ft long as compared with 20 ft on all others. If you are not sure if your glider will fit, the doors have no locks so feel free to try them out. The club encouages those with shorter gliders already in storage to relocate to this area and free up more of the longer tubes for those with Falcons and other longer gliders.
greblo

Post by greblo »

What an incredible contribution from Smitty, Rob, Chris Armenta, Greg Jones, and whomever else I missed. They banged out the entire project in a day. Thanks also to Phil Bloom and his employee for the electrical fixes they made out there.

I'm told that Chippy and Phil are very close to having WiFi installed out there.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Chip
Site Admin

New Storage Tubes Pictures

Post by Chip »

Chip
Site Admin

WiFI

Post by Chip »

Thanks to Phil and Carlos for mounting and giving the WiFI box direct power.

Right now, we have the radio up and SHGA wireless will show as available, however there is NO internet access as of yet. Still need to get the cable modem configured via Time Warner. Once that's complete we'll have good internet with what I believe will be ample singnal strength.

I'm getting 5 bars on my phone and about the same on a laptop. I was able to manage the router from the "barrio" (the area where most of the advanced pilots lounge after their flights) while connected to the SHGA wireless. In non geek speak, that means the wireless signal is pretty strong even when not in the direct path of the antenna that is located on the Windsports house.

The goal is to get it up and running before the spring air comp, but I think we'll be able to satisfy that without issue.

As far as who will have access, we're working that out. Seeing how Jay is moving into the LZ, he's agreed to pay half of the yearly cost, which shold be about $250 or so. For the rest of the cost, I'll put up the rest and then see how many others are willing to contribute. I'm expecting more than a few will once they see the speed we're able to achieve, I'm hoping we can easily recover the remaining cost.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to recover the cost of the equipment, since most of the stuff I already had.
Fat Fred

Post by Fat Fred »

I will be happy to contribute to the WiFi fund.
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Me too. Sprint service sucks in the LZ.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Internet is now up in the LZ, I'm seeing 25Mb download speeds in the gazeebo (the furthest east corner). That's usually what you get inside the house connected directly. The wireless serves N, G, and B I believe.

There were some changes we needed to make and thanks to Joe Greblo, we were able to attach to the account he's using. We're on our own cable modem router so there shouldn't be any interferance with his business internet. However we've basically increased his cable bill by about $48 per month or about $576 a year. For the speeds we're getting it seems reasonable.

As stated before, Jay is going to pay for half of the internet cost, the other half, we'll need to come up with. That will be approx $288. I've seen this club burn through that easily in a weekend drinking beer :o

If you want to use the internet in the LZ and be able to show your flying buddies the latest awesome whack video on youtube, come and see me.

If only 15 people contribute $20, we'll pay for it in short order and have the whole year paid for. Jay's committed to do the same (meaning pay his half all up front). At this point, that's what I'm calling the minimum buy in ($20). I don't believe its all that unreasonable, if you think it is, then try and get internet for an entire year for less (good luck with that) :evil:
Extra funds will go towards the same account paying it foward even further.

Don't count on this service being available for for all members. Not sure how it will all work out. but for now, its for the members that want it and are willing to pay for the service. It will be available for at least a year. I think the equipment will easily hold up. Some of the extra funds may go into a maintenance account to make sure we can repair the service it goes down.

This was posted from the LZ :D
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

The glider storage cell still needs a closing and locking mechanism installed, which I plan to do Tomorrow (Friday 5/3). If all goes well with that, then they will just need the final paint added, which I'll leave to someone else at your leisure.
Flyyyyy
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Thank you Glenn! Two of the slots have already been taken and one more has been spoken for. I whish to point out that keeping your heavy topless glider there avoids that long walk around to the south side of "B" box to put your glider away. You won't have to dodge those tractors, trailers and buses, oh my!
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

The new bench is a beautiful piece of artistry that should be around a long time. Just an amazing piece of work guys. I love it. Really well done.

I'll feel kind of guilty sitting my ass on it. That wasn't always true, but my ass is not what it used to be.
Flyyyyy