Big T and Towers launches

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

fab

Big T and Towers launches

Post by fab »

Hi,
Can anyone please send me some explanations on how to reach BigT and Towers launches by car ?
- explanation on how to reach the take off from Kagel LZ
- is it a tarred/asphalted road all way long ?
- GPS coordinates
Thanks,
Fabien
ps: who are the pilots that are flying the most from these launches ?
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Fabian,
BigT has no launch. Towers launch is a steep tricky place that faces south east. If it has any kind of west wind, it may look blowing up but it is actually rotoring around the point. There isn't too much room lay out your paraglider. It is asphalt to the top. Talk to me in the LZ to get more detailed directions.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
OP

Post by OP »

Lukens, Kagel and Towers are all locked and require permitted access. There is no BigT launch.

Due to yokelism, vandalism, and maybe even ¿? hinduism!¿; descriptions on how to access these sites are only given to club members. Roll to the LZ and ask someone.

Towers is the easiest and paved drive up, yet has the most demanding H4, not PG friendly, launch. Lukens and Kagel need a bit of ground clearance. This link may be of use: http://goo.gl/maps/lYtMg
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Kagel is the best option for launching PG in this area, easy to get a ride there from LZ, just make sure you launch early (11:00-13:00) because it gets windy later in the day.

Why do you want to launch from Big T or Towers?

Alex
skydizzy.blogspot.com
fab

Post by fab »

Thanks you for your replies.

I mentioned BigT launch in my initial post because it appears on the club website: http://www.shga.com/flyingSites/siteIma ... reaMap.jpg

To Jay: Thanks for the info.

To OP: Thanks dude for the information. Just a reminder: only SHGA members can post on the forum ;-)... I would be happy to learn more about Lukens from you (agenes at hotmail dot com) :-)

To Dizzy: I've been HG/PGing for 24 years around the world and one of the thing I like the most about flying is to discover new places (including launches).

Happy flying,

Fabian
JD

Post by JD »

fab wrote:....I've been HG/PGing for 24 years around the world and one of the thing I like the most about flying is to discover new places (including launches)....
Hi Fab, Towers is restricted to USHPA Hang 4 pilots only. It is not suitable for PGs whereas Kagel has an excellent PG ramp.

What are you currently flying and what does your FAI IPPI card show for equivalent US ratings? Looking forward to seeing you out at the club.

Cheers,
Jonathan