Rest Room Location

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Which location do you prefer for the rest rooms?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:25 pm

The gate location
25%
The East location
75%

Total votes: 32

gregangsten

Rest Room Location

Post by gregangsten »

We are considering two options for the Rest Room location:
In the parking lot near the gate https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574 ... 281%29.pdf

or to the east on the far side of the storage containers
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574 ... 281%29.pdf

There are advantages to both and disadvantages. The gate location is nearer the sewer lines and would save some money (<$2000). It is more of an obstacle to trucks and parking however. Code requires a 25' setback from the fence which we could reduce to 20' if we get signed agreements from all our neighbors but this still puts it out in the lot.

The East location is convenient and less obtrusive and completes the line of buildings already here. Some concerns have been raised about possible wind rotors in the LZ, however.

Building the rooms in the pavilion itself was also considered but has been voted down because it is the most controversial, would force the rooms to be the absolute minimum size and would exclude a structure with additional storage room. What is your vote?
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

If the restroom were to go in the east location where would Jay go? If he moves further east (which I doubt he will want to be right next to the bath rooms) then it would be a even bigger possibility of a rotor.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Any idea about dimensions?
If it is rectangular (narrow), perhaps it would fit better near the gate.
Or it could go on the west side of the containers.
In any case, we should live the south end of the LZ
unobstructed as much as possible.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I am worried the gate location could reduce the west neighbors property values if Odor Remediation becomes a problem.
http://www.prolitec.com/restroom_hygiene.htm
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

Vrezh wrote:Any idea about dimensions?
If it is rectangular (narrow), perhaps it would fit better near the gate.
Or it could go on the west side of the containers.
In any case, we should live the south end of the LZ
unobstructed as much as possible.
If we go with the basic design provided by a company that produces what are more-or-less "kits", the building would be roughly 13' x 16'.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

I feel like we could get some large plywood chunks of wood and set them up in approximately the 'east' location and see if that creates any noticable rotor further north in the LZ.

If it would go where cars/trucks already park on the eastern edge of the lot I have a hard time believing the increase in rotor would be significant but at the same time I've always followed a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' train of thought and if putting the bathroom there could potentially harm the LZ conditions then that certainly warrants investigation....if possible.

Diabetic Mike
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

The Secret of Flight (1955)‏ Dr Alexander Lippisch
http://youtu.be/1oykDzWbmnM?t=19m34s

This clip shows rotors in wind tunnels. Possibly a Leeside shed with sloped tapered roof would reduce a certain rotor.

queued at 19m 38 seconds about 8 minutes of it is good.
Busto

Post by Busto »

dhmarten, interesting video. According to this information, Erwin's RV had been creating this type of rotor for years; I would think, Jay's trailer has the same effect, since he is in the same spot.

If the bathrooms are placed in this exact location, would it create different rotors, which Erwin's RV had done for quite some time, and what Jay's is doing now?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574 ... 281%29.pdf
I feel like we could get some large plywood chunks of wood and set them up in approximately the 'east' location and see if that creates any noticable rotor further north in the LZ.
We could ask Daryle and Russ to park their RV's there and see what effect it has.

There has been a lot of vehicles, which have parked there on busy weekends. Have we ever had an accident that is associated with rotors coming off the vehicles or RV's?
Last edited by Busto on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M@rkus

Re: Bathroom Location...

Post by M@rkus »

My five cents…

I am for the gate-solution!
It seems to be a win-win situation. Costs less, less obtrusive and we don't have to worry about rotors (why create additional problems if we don't have to).

About the neighbors property value. I think the "Porter Potties" are pretty "lethal" at times. Depending on wind direction, I am sure that our neighbors might have gotten a "whiff" every now and then (considering they are sitting outside).
I don't know the exact building materials used in the new bathroom construction but I would imagine that they are a lot better than the ones we have right now.
Please advise.

About the parking - we might loose a spot or two but we also gain the space of the current bathroom location.

Are we still contemplating a place for our trash? Could be right next to the new bathrooms (keep all the pleasant odors at the same spot, tucked in with the trees and bushes).

So far I see only two disadvantages:
1) Minus a couple of parking spots.
2) Jay's walk to the "Loo".

M.
M@rkus

Re: Bathroom Location...

Post by M@rkus »

My five cents…

I am for the gate-solution!
It seems to be a win-win situation. Costs less, less obtrusive and we don't have to worry about rotors (why create additional problems if we don't have to).

About the neighbors property value. I think the "Porter Potties" are pretty "lethal" at times. Depending on wind direction, I am sure that our neighbors might have gotten a "whiff" every now and then (considering they are sitting outside).
I don't know the exact building materials used in the new bathroom construction but I would imagine that they are a lot better than the ones we have right now. Please advise.
Also, at this point we are connected to the Sewer-Line - most of the odor should be in the pipe (isn't that why we have one - certainly a great improvement from the exposed-with-a-lid-on situation we currently have).

About the parking - we might loose a spot or two but we also gain the space of the current bathroom location.

Are we still contemplating a place for our trash? Could be right next to the new bathrooms (keep all the pleasant odors at the same spot, tucked in with the trees and bushes).

So far I see only two disadvantages:
1) Minus a couple of parking spots.
2) Jay's walk to the "Loo".

M.
gregangsten

gate location

Post by gregangsten »

I would not say the gate location is less obtrusive. It juts out into the parking lot and not only takes up its own space, but inhibits access to the space on the other side of the gate. Also, it is in the neighbors face and if we are to get it any closer to the fence we need signatures from them. Also, I'd say that in an aesthetic sense, it is more obtrusive to have it sitting alone out in the lot rather than as an extension of the other structures.

Jay would be able to place his trailer pretty much anywhere and we would be able to tie him in to the sewer line.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Thanks for the consideration but don't worry about me. I will adapt to whichever location the club dicides upon. Neither do I think you have to worry about the smell drifting to the neighbors from the gate locaton. The water toilets are ment to eleminate the accumaltion and thus the smell. One point not mentioned (and not to be construed as me favoring the gate location) is those last minute urgent needs before heading up the hill. It would be a shorter dash to the gate and less of a chance of being left behind (pun intended).
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

I just cast my vote for the east location. I agree with Greg that it just makes more sense than any other location.

If we put the bathroom in the east location, it would replace the junkyard that seems to accumulate in that area. A bathroom would look better than junk cars any day.

As to the rotor concern, that area has been a junkyard of vans and trailers as long as I have been flying here and I have never experienced a rotor. The bathroom wouldn't be any more of a wind obstruction than the collections of large vehicles that we have had there over the years. Remember also that people who land long should be landing on the overshoot area further east anyway. Besides, if someone were to ignore the preferred flight path and did get close enough to find a rotor, it just might force them down before flying into the bathroom wall...
Jim

Post by Jim »

I already cast my vote but still think there's time to offer another alternative. We'll see what response this receives...

The eastern location of the bathrooms would be the least obtrusive to the neighbors and for parking. What I don't like is placement on the opposite side of the storage. It makes it an errant structure (like erratic boulders left in an "errant" location by glaciers) really fitting the term out- house . If I could have my druthers, we'd disassemble the cover, form a new foundation and move the storage bins to the South. This would leave room for the structure closer to the plumbing closet, the street and the relocation of Jay's living quarters. Using the same roofing materials would tie-in to the pavilion.

New thought: just move the northern storage over next to the oldest and tie the cover to the southern facing side for the loader-port. Again, electrical and water are already nearby and the run is shorter. I think this would take up less parking, too, but maybe some skilled CAD user could work up a site plan.

Either way, the entire plan would appear more connected. For the squeamish, the entry doors would face the SIBL fields and the storage end be toward the LZ.

Discussion?
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

I agree with MikeL and Rob. East side, if past/existing structures/RVs have not caused a rotor, nothing will.
How are we handling maintenance? The bathrooms need to be cleaned/mopped daily.
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

The bathrooms will be cleaned as needed by Jay. The plan is to slope the floor or use a center drain so that a hose can be used for the task.
vannoppen

Bathrooms

Post by vannoppen »

Now that my glider is broke, thankfully not me or Nancy, I'm calling off my quest to go to the Owens this weekend where only one brave pilot showed interest. Guess Ill have to go in the fall :cry: bathrooms,further away from the residents the better, the current facilities hardly smell even when you go in there and see an awful mess. I'm more concerned or would be as a neighbor to listen to the constant flushing sound or worse. These people did not move to our and their Arroyo to have a public if you will bathroom placed across the street, especially used a lot on weekends when they are more likely to be off work ,home, w family. Would you like to live next to our LZ if you weren't a pilot. As is we are quite loud. You should have heard me scream the other day and that was from launch,lol. I'm no astro physicist but I believe any rotor created by the bathrooms with a radial roof are not a concern as we should be on the ground well before that. Suggestions: place a large net on the north end of the bathrooms to snare any over shooters . What about the same location as the current PP and make the structure long and narrow, is that impracticable I don't know.
gregangsten

Re: Bathrooms

Post by gregangsten »

vannoppen wrote: What about the same location as the current PP and make the structure long and narrow, is that impracticable I don't know.
Dave, we are required to have a 25' setback from the property line fence. The portapotties are right at the fence so that location is out.
Don

I agree with Jim

Post by Don »

I agree with Jim's suggestion. It would require more work but in the end would look nicer (especially with a matching roof). Let's do it right!
Don

I agree with Jim

Post by Don »

I agree with Jim's suggestion. It would require more work but in the end would look nicer (especially with a matching roof). Let's do it right!